Author Topic: Sopwith Pup RNAS - WnW 1:32  (Read 5372 times)

Offline LindsayT

• "Somehow it didn't seem like war at all..."
Sopwith Pup RNAS - WnW 1:32
« on: December 30, 2013, 01:36:04 PM »
Finished! I've spent about nine months on this build and it's finally done. I'm posting to give heart to all those that are reluctant to share their work here. If I can muster up the courage to post this guy, warts and all, then so can you.

This was very much a therapy build. It was what let me completely escape from whatever happened to be the stress du jour. I really enjoyed building it, and it turns out that Wingnut kits are everything they're cracked up to be. Very enjoyable.

So I'm posting to show that things do actually occur on my bench, albeit at a glacial pace. Things I've learned include trusting the WnW directions, try new things, and take risks. I know there's a lot of glaring issues with the build, notwithstanding the inaccuracies (that I don't care about), but I'm proud nonetheless. However, I'm always open to constructive criticism. It's the only way I'm going to improve.

Without further delay, I give you, Betty. Thanks for looking.

Lindsay

Online RAGIII

Re: Sopwith Pup RNAS - WnW 1:32
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 02:00:25 PM »
Lindsay,
I don't see any warts! This is a nice looking Pup! I think you are underestimating your work! Your post and Marks cover the 2 aircraft I have been thinking seriously about. Now which way to go.....
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Modelnut

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 02:42:45 PM »
She looks great and is light Yeats ahead of my skills!

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 03:02:27 PM »
Outstanding job on one of my favorite aircraft in my favorite scheme!  Not a single wart in sight, either. Congratulations, Lindsay.  You can really be proud of this beauty.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline FokkerFodder

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2013, 04:42:14 PM »
Hi - looks wonderful to me as well.

I'm just about at the point of rigging a 'betty' as well (not as nice as yours, but a good learning experience as mine nearly ended in the bin a couple of times), but I'm struggling a bit with the issue of turnbuckles..... I have a stash of Bob's buckles, but I can't tell from the photos/reference materials (which seem to be especially low resolution quality for pups) whether there were buckles on both the upper and lower wings... (and I note someone on this forum, sorry forgotten who, suggested that no turnbuckles were used, although some of the photos I have suggest otherwise). I can't get a close look at your photos as my work computer doesn't like the link, but how did you approach this...?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

FF

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2013, 06:27:00 PM »
Hello Liindsay. You have every right to feel pround about 'Betty'. Whether or not you feel it was glacial in terms of time scale, it stands as a fine piece of work.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline Andi Little

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2013, 06:33:36 PM »
Looks pretty darn fab' to me, I would suggest that you have done a remarkable job. In fact the Pup is my next intended build, and loaded into the breech as we speak: story short! If mine turns out as good as this I'll be one thrilled little modeller.

Well done.
KBO ............. Andi.

Offline IFF1418

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2013, 07:17:10 PM »
Lindsay I totally agree with all the others. I can't see what could be wrong with your build. It is so well done and you underestimate yourself quite a lot! Congratulations it is wonderfull!

Kind regards
Patrick

Offline drdave

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2013, 07:33:23 PM »
Lovely build
You might try photographing against a roll of wall paper lining roll, it forms a curve without creases and back lights your model beautifully

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2013, 08:27:09 PM »
Lindsay,
Well done!
After nine months of model bench gestation a fine looking, bonny, well made, nicely painted Pup has popped out  ;)

Congrats!

VB

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2013, 09:44:56 PM »
Gorgeous Pup, Lindsay!  ;D  I'll be doing ths scheme in memory of my mother, another "Betty."  I hope mine turns out as well as your's.  :D  I particularly like how you've rendered the wing shading, cowling and landing gear.  Looks great!  Keep up the very fine work.  ;D

Regards,

Bob 

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2013, 10:12:17 PM »
Terrific Pup, Lindsay!  Great job on the rigging and the paint work.I really
like that scheme and in time hope to come up with one along those lines. 
I doubt very much that I will be able to come close to the excellence of your model. 
Well done, my friend!

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2013, 10:53:39 PM »
Lindsay,
    That camera of yours must have some magic qualities, there are no "warts" to be seen! Your shading and subtle "wear" are very nicely done....I think She's a real beauty!
   Well done, and what's next on the plate?
Cheers,
Lance

Offline mgunns

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2013, 11:00:04 PM »
Hello Lindsay:

I think you have an outstanding model there.  I can't see any warts and it looks like a well executed bit of modeling to me.  You have done some weathering, some shading, some chipping and it all looks good. 

Best

Mark
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline LindsayT

• "Somehow it didn't seem like war at all..."
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2013, 12:09:57 AM »
I can't thank you all enough for the kind words and encouragement. It means the world to me. Thank you very much for taking the time.

We all know that selective photography and photo selection can do wonders for how a model is presented. I can assure you, the flaws are there. The important thing is that I've gotten much better since the last model by applying all the knowledge found here. Contrast this Pup with my Nieuport that I did for the Old Kit group build; this is light years ahead, and it's only because of the generous support and mentorship found on this forum.

Again, a thousand thanks. I'm overwhelmed.

Lindsay