The Hobby Showroom > Aircraft in Pixels / Flugzeugwerke

louvre die sets

(1/3) > >>

pietro:
Bo, first, let me say how impressed I am with where you're taking this new technology. You are a genius! I just received the louvre die sets(very nice). My intent is to get back to the Canuck project engine side panels. Do you have any ideas or suggestions on how to use them keeping them aligned I just sent back a 1/2 ton "mini" arbor press to Amazon. It's way more than needed. My idea is to provide a sliding tray for the females and drill the arbor for the males held in with a magnet. I just don't want a huge clunky press on my hobby bench, and the Panavise abor press is a little over my budget right now.
Thank you,Pietro

Russell:
Pietro,

It could be worth looking at a watchmakers 'Watch Back press' or even a watchmakers 'Staking press' on Ebay for instance. There's a multitude of different designs & sizes (although all even the largest is 'modelling size').

Some types are fairly basic & cheap: http://www.ebay.com/bhp/crystal-press

http://uk.picclick.com/Watch-Case-Back-Closing-Press-Micro-Stella-PROFESSIONAL-CLOSER-252207703138.html

Regards
Russell

pietro:
Russell, thank you very much. Those are pretty neat! I have never seen them before! Thanks again.
Pietro

uncletony:
Hi Pietro!

I designed these to be used in a miniature drill press -- of course not with the drill turning! The idea is to chuck the male piece and leave the female part be loose; press the chuck down and clamp the female piece in place.

There is enough resistance on the shaft of the drill press to keep it from rotating while forming the louvres.

Now, I suppose none of the above is very helpful if you do not possess a miniature drill press! I have use both dies "manually" as well-- it doesn't really take much pressure to form them in aluminum...

pietro:
Bo, thank you for your information. I have an incredibly cumbersome industrial size drill press. I got good deal on a Panavise arbor press on Ebay, and plan to modify it for your louver sets. Will send pictures. BTW, your DVll radiator is gorgeous, so I may have to build another DVll. Keep the good stuff coming.
Pietro

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version