Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
The David Wilson Memorial Group Build 2024 / Re: Luftschiffmotorboot 1/144
« Last post by Dirigible-Al on May 21, 2024, 11:58:57 PM »
Not the most exciting thing but I thought I would show the base. Insulating foam was cut and sanded to shape. I then scrunched up some baking foil and stretched it over the foam. This was covered in white glue and green painted on the high parts and blue on the low ones. Next I put Many layers of varnish with a tiny drop of darker blue mixed in with the intention of giving it depth.  The raised parts will have cotton wool glued to them to resemble foam but I cannot do this until the boat is glued into it.
Thanks for looking in, Alan.
The David Wilson Memorial Group Build 2024 / Re: Luftschiffmotorboot 1/144
« Last post by Dirigible-Al on May 21, 2024, 11:51:34 PM »
Not the most exciting thing but I thought I would show the base. Insulating foam was cut and sanded to shape. I then scrunched up some baking foil and stretched it very the foam. This was covered in white glue and green painted on the high parts and blue on the low ones. Next I put Many layers of varnish with a tiny drop of darker blue mixed in with the intention of giving it depth.  The raised parts will have cotton wool glued to them to resemble foam but I cannot do this until the boat is glued into it.
Thanks for looking in, Alan.
Under Construction / Re: Pegasus 1/72 Roland VIb
« Last post by IanB on May 21, 2024, 11:49:57 PM »
This looks like fun. I'll watch from the bar!

Ian
Under Construction / Re: Jeannin Stahltaube - a scratchbuild in 1/144 scale
« Last post by NigelR on May 21, 2024, 11:36:15 PM »
This is all absolute madness! Amazing work, and fascinating to see how you do it.
Completed models / Re: Blue Max Pfalz
« Last post by NigelR on May 21, 2024, 11:34:14 PM »
A very nicely done Pfalz and Ursula too! What's not to like..... ;)
IMO that looks very good. I would suggest turning your photo into a B&W shot and comparing it with some examples of the real thing.....
What's interesting to read / Re: On this Day (WWI aviation news), Vol. 3
« Last post by PJ Fisher on May 21, 2024, 11:31:36 PM »
"Caught in a Pocket"
American Captain James Norman Hall is confirmed to be alive to the general public weeks after failing to return from a mission over Pagny-sur-Moselle in Lorraine.  Details of Hall's downing were shared here back in April 2023: https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=13750.msg253805#msg253805.  "There is an aviation field near the camp (ed. at Chaudun, southwest of Soissons) and the aviators go out every day hunting for Bosche machines. Yesterday Jimmy Hall, who wrote "Kitchener's Mob" and who is staying at the camp, was caught in a pocket of seven Germans and brought down. He landed his machine, however, and is expected to live. He is one of the nicest fellows that I have met." (worldwar1.com)  The injured aviator recuperated in hospital and remained a prisoner of war for the duration of the conflict.  Here's an unusual photograph presumably taken shortly after his crash where he is resting in a squad car and receiving aid and comfort from a dachshund!
(from the Richmond Times-Dispatch, 21 May 1918):

'
(image via pinterest.com)
The World of Scale Models / Re: 1:32 Matchbox SS100 Jaguar
« Last post by IanB on May 21, 2024, 10:44:02 PM »
Wow, thanks for the praise Dutch and Steve - very much appreciated!

A little more done this weekend....

Just to remind you what the kit brake "detail" is like....

Yes, well....

I had to remove the diff and front crossmember, not a difficult task, then clipped the plastic away before sanding it down to fit the new drums.

Then yesterday I gave them a coat of gloss black.

Annoyingly there are some striations showing, which I didn't see before painting. They won't come off now, so they'll have to stay as they are. I also reduced the size of the fittings on the front drums slightly as I think they are a tad oversized, but that won't help this build!

All in all, a big improvement and well worth the effort. I spent most of yesterday afternoon redrawing the seat backs, and I'm much happier with those now, although I may need to add some more there. More photo checking is required first to see if my reference is standard, or an over padded restoration!

Then on to the friction dampers and interior gearbox cover.

Thanks for looking in!

Ian
The David Wilson Memorial Group Build 2024 / Re: 1:72 Roden SE5a
« Last post by IanB on May 21, 2024, 10:27:23 PM »
Just a small update from the weekend as the fuselage assembly requires patience!
It has to be put together in stages, especially as my kit fuselage halves are slightly warped at the front.

First step - glue the halves together.

Once dry, step 2 is to attach the fuselage to the wings. I also added the lower nose section at this time. Pic eaten by hungry camera.
Stage 3, attach the cockpit coaming.

Step 4 will be to add the radiator and upper cowling, maybe even in 2 steps, we'll see! However, it's worth being patient since I don't want a badly fitting or warped nose!

Hopefully my paints are on their way....

Thanks for looking in,

Ian
Forum Announcements / Apologies for Forum Outage
« Last post by Brad Cancian on May 21, 2024, 10:20:08 PM »
Hi everyone - a quick announcement and apology about the forum outage for the last few days.

Long story short, there were some elements of the forum administration and hosting that hadn't been fully understood prior to Dave's passing, but hopefully I have these clear and ironed out now. My thanks go to our various providers as well as Royce, Dave's son, have been very helpful in assisting me with getting things back up and running again. My thanks also go to you all for being so patient.

Thanks to those that contacted myself, Zac, or Lance, and many thanks to all for your understanding.

As a side note, I should also have the forum donation function working again hopefully soon. I'll put out a separate announcement about that once it's ready.

Thanks again,

Brad
Owner and Administrator
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10