Modelers Lounge > The Nostalgia Board

Remember your first WW1 model kit?

<< < (2/7) > >>

AndRoby67:
Mine was an 1/72 SE.5a from the ESCI box "Red Baron flying circus", six kits packed toghether.
Poor copy of the Revell one, but the "fever" for the WWI aviation started. I was near to 30 years old, now I'm 52 and I'm still under this "illness".
Bye!
Roberto

Jeff K:
AndRoby67, i thought i had recovered from the illness, but it flared up again after 40 years...

sobrien:
I believe mine was the Airfix 1/72 Dr. 1. Sky blue all over with olive drab streaking.

RLWP:

--- Quote from: Robin on October 15, 2019, 09:54:24 PM ---Most likely the Airfix Roland C.II. Must have been around 1968.

--- End quote ---

I'm struggling to remember, I do remember building one of these as part of a 'Dogfight Double', it's certainly one of my first WWI models

I can also remember my first model of an actual aeroplane (well, sort of) which was an Airfix DR.I  painted up as Cole Palen's Rhinebeck machine. I found it in an old copy of National Geographic some time in the 1970's

Not that I knew it was Cole's, I was just taken with the scheme. It was probably thirty years later I realised what I had done

Richard

lcarroll:
    My first WW.I Model kit was, IIRC, the Aurora "Famous Fighters" Nieuport II of 1956. I built a number of that Series, my favorite being the Fokker D.VII. Shortly thereafter I discovered the Airfix "bagged" Kits and the tiny scale and low price meant things just simply couldn't be better! I was a slow builder even back then however the term is relative; I could turn out one of those Kits in several evenings or on a weekend and would scold my buddies for doing so in only one session!
   Those were indeed "THE" days! Research consisted of a thorough study of the box art, rigging came by way of my Mother's sewing box, paint was determined by what might be on the shelf at the Variety Store, and a diorama was when you had more then one model suspended on a thumb tack and string from your bedroom ceiling! The art of model building was in it's infancy and desire was the mother of invention. In my crowd of model builders someone discovered that pot scouring powders such as Ajax or Bon Ami could be used to produce a flat finish on gloss paints and realism achieved new heights as a result! Although I built subjects from all eras I started to pursue WW.I subjects exclusively about 30 years ago; we've come such a long way!
Cheers,
Lance

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version