Author Topic: WnW 1/32 Albatros B.II finished  (Read 13997 times)

Offline gedmundson

Re: WnW 1/32 Albatros B.II
« Reply #90 on: March 09, 2022, 01:33:35 AM »
My thanks to all who took the time to write a comment on my wings - glad you liked them!

The results look great in the photos, Gary. If there was silvering, now I do not see any traces of it.
But I understand fully your problems with application of decals and preshading. I was through the same. And I can only say, Airbrushing is so much simpler... Yet, sometimes it is necessary to apply the large decal sheets, as in the losenge case.
BTW, could you tell us if you anyhow polished the wings before applying the gloss undercoat paint?

Thanks Prze - I made sure there was no silvering on the tops of the wings...but the tail section and underside of the main wings has a bit that I'll disguise with weathering touches. I also re-did some of the under-wing decals by cutting sections out, then spraying glossier, then adding more expensive CDL decal. I think that the lozenge patterns don't show silvering as much as the CDL - this is my first time working with large sections of CDL. I did no pre-polishing of the wings before applying gloss coat. To economize on the gloss coat, I went out and bought a fresh bottle of Pledge floor acrylic (Future). I'd abandoned this a while ago only to use Tamiya X-22, since I'd had "cracking" of the finish on a couple of other projects using floor acrylic...perhaps applying it too thick in one go (not sure). But to eliminate the silvering I applied the Pledge in thin layers, and lots of it, so my surface was very shiny.

Cheers,
Gary

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #91 on: March 10, 2022, 12:21:06 AM »
Quick question Gary, spray Future or brush?

Steve

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #92 on: March 10, 2022, 01:55:52 AM »
Quick question Gary, spray Future or brush?

Steve

Hi Steve, I airbrush the Future on. Straight from the bottle, with no dilutant. Numerous passes with a fine setting.
Cheers,
Gary

Online PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #93 on: March 10, 2022, 02:13:56 AM »
Thank you very much, Gary for the explanation and hints. I will try Future next time when I will apply Aviattic decals on WNW wings.
Good luck with the rest of this gorgeous build!
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #94 on: March 11, 2022, 08:06:17 AM »
I see I have some catching up to do on all these builds here in “Under construction”.

The woodgrain is wonderful, so realistic, thanks for sharing you technique! And the nails come out beautifully in the paneling. The wings with CDL decals look great, especially with the subtle rib and spar accents.

I will follow this build closely from now on Gary!

Willem

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #95 on: March 14, 2022, 08:03:01 AM »
Here's a couple of photos of the engine sitting in it's mount before I button the cowling on. At least a fair bit of it is seen afterward.

The windscreen in this kit is quite a big one. I like to give windscreen glazing a slightly "smoked" look, since that's how it appears to me in photos and generally when looking at glass from a distance. I took Tamiya X-19 Smoke, and tinted it slightly with clear blue X-23. Rather than airbrushing it on (which creates a foggy, grainy flat look) I carefully brushed it on the inside of the windscreen, working quickly. It dries fairly fast, so the odds of making a mess are high. The instructions asked for a silver frame, which I painted with ModelMaster chrome enamel with a touch of black oil paint to take the stark appearance out of it.

Cheers,
Gary

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #96 on: March 14, 2022, 09:41:15 AM »
Beautiful so far Gary and I will have to remember that trick with the glass .

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #97 on: March 14, 2022, 09:16:16 PM »
Marvelous looking work, Gary.  The metal tones on the engine really make it pop!

Online ondra

« Reply #98 on: March 14, 2022, 09:56:29 PM »
Wow, this looks gorgeous! Excellent job!

Ondra

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #99 on: March 14, 2022, 11:22:49 PM »
Gorgeous work! That windscreen looks Fantastic.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #100 on: March 15, 2022, 07:59:18 AM »
The windscreen is inspired, it looks just right. Excellent work Gary - I'll have to get some Smoke on my next trip to the LHS!
Zac in NZ

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #101 on: March 15, 2022, 05:09:42 PM »
Gary, lovely and crisp looking work so far.  That windscreen looks amazing.
There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.

Online PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #102 on: March 15, 2022, 08:17:13 PM »
Great, the engine does the job!
However, why not leave the upper engine covers off - you will have that jewel better exposed for curious eyes! I have done so on my B.II some time ago and I do not regret it ;)
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #103 on: March 15, 2022, 10:28:45 PM »
However, why not leave the upper engine covers off - you will have that jewel better exposed for curious eyes! I have done so on my B.II some time ago and I do not regret it ;)

Agree with Prze , why hind the engine detail , it is spectacular

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #104 on: March 16, 2022, 05:02:37 AM »

Agree with Prze , why hind the engine detail , it is spectacular

Alexis

Thanks for that Alexis and Prze - I appreciate the feedback. This is the one build that I seriously considered doing just that - leaving off the engine cowlings. My builds have always had the cowlings buttoned up no matter how much work went into the engine. I like making the engine look good....it's fun. However I like to display my models as they would have looked when they flew. My favourite example (although not WW1 related) is a Spitfire, which has such a nice look with everything fastened up for flight (landing gear aside). I wouldn't even open the canopy, since I like the "ready for flight" configuration.
Cheers,
Gary