Author Topic: More photos on ebay  (Read 3190 times)

Offline Jamo

• Wellington, NZ
    • My Smugmug album
Happy Modelling
James Fahey

Check out my massive photo collection here: https://jamesfahey.smugmug.com/

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Re: More photos on ebay
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2015, 05:43:11 PM »
Thanks James for the wonderful photos, always a pleasure to see these gems.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2015, 06:15:22 PM »
Thanks for spotting and posting these, James.. Really interesting as ever.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline xan

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2015, 08:06:39 PM »
very beautiful pics! thank you for sharing them!
Xan
"Zwei Armeen, die sich bekämpfen, sind eine grosse Armee, die Selbstmord an sich übt."
Barbusse.
"Une montagne en Allemagne ne peut pas offenser une montagne en France. Ou une rivière ou une forêt ou un champ de blé."
Remarque.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2015, 12:25:47 AM »
Some neat stuff there James, thanks for Posting!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2015, 03:14:47 AM »
Thanks for posting these interesting photos, Jamo.  Many I haven't seen before.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2015, 11:47:54 AM »
Outstanding photos James! Thanks for finding them and posting!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2015, 02:35:57 PM »
The "Fokker Triplane" photo is very strange -- what the hell is that?! The motor is way too far forward, the prop does not look German, and what about the markings/ lack thereof? At first I thought it might be a replica made for the German movie in the thirties... what was it called, Jagdstaffel 88 (that's not right) ... Willi Gabriel was in it... But it doesn't seem to match the photos I've seen of that. The fellows dress looks very WWI era; can't work out the uniforms in the background or positive id the other aircraft in the shot. Is that a Pfalz D.XII in front of the 'Fokker"?

Offline ermeio

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2015, 02:45:45 AM »
The "Fokker Triplane" photo is very strange -- what the hell is that?! The motor is way too far forward, the prop does not look German, and what about the markings/ lack thereof? At first I thought it might be a replica made for the German movie in the thirties... what was it called, Jagdstaffel 88 (that's not right) ... Willi Gabriel was in it... But it doesn't seem to match the photos I've seen of that. The fellows dress looks very WWI era; can't work out the uniforms in the background or positive id the other aircraft in the shot. Is that a Pfalz D.XII in front of the 'Fokker"?
It is (likely) the SAROTTI SP-5, a rebuilt Fokker DR-1 powered by an 80 hp Thulin engine (therefore the nose was lengthened, to re-gain the balance in presence of a lighter lighter power unit). The wings and the tail are reworked (the wings had more ribs and different wingtips), but it retained the original fuselage and undercarriage. It was designed by Max Schuler around 1925, served as the advertising airplane for the Sarotti Chocolade, sporting a large SAROTTI sign on the fuselage and appeared in some  WWI movies made in Deutschland in the '30.
I think that this image is dated around 1927-1930, probably during the preparation for a film, hence the ? D XII.

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2015, 05:06:32 AM »
YES! I am sure you are right -- if the rudder was visible it would be obvious -- you can just make out that it is not the typical Dr1 shape. I had read about it, then forgot about it :) The wing tips are also rounded, which is a match for the SP-5. Oh, and the registration number was D664 ;)

Offline ermeio

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2015, 05:28:16 AM »
Well, when the WNW Dr 1 will see the light, a Sarotti conversion is a good idea to use one of  the Roden in the  stash....
All the best, Bo.