Author Topic: The Hannover CL series by Harry Woodman, with some posters  (Read 3792 times)

Offline Jamo

• Wellington, NZ
    • My Smugmug album
The Hannover CL series by Harry Woodman, with some posters
« on: October 31, 2014, 08:08:14 PM »
From Scale Aviation Modeller International Volume 4 #4, April 1998. Harry Woodman was a highly respected authority on WWI aviation and modeller; sadly he passed away in Feb 2013. He was one of the first proponents of photo etching and wrote an excellent book on scratch building in plastic card, of which he was an expert.

Happy Modelling
James Fahey

Check out my massive photo collection here: https://jamesfahey.smugmug.com/

Offline rlrimell

Re: The Hannover CL series by Harry Woodman, with some posters
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2014, 05:54:17 AM »
Hi Guys,

It may be of interest to  forum members that all of my good friend Harry's extensive-and believe me,it is extensive!- archive of modelling and WWI aircraft/armament  photos and documents is now with us here at Albatros . He and I were engaged on producing an all- new guide to the Hannover two- seaters when he passed away early last year. Some of his  material posted here forms the basis for a little  of the content we were working up together. It is only recently that I have been able to bring myself to return to the project  with a view to hopefully  publishing it next year....possibly as a Datafile or as a Special. I will keep you posted in due course. ;)

Cheers,

Ray R.

Offline Jamo

• Wellington, NZ
    • My Smugmug album
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2014, 06:12:29 AM »
Hi Ray. That is good news indeed. I look forward to seeing it!
Happy Modelling
James Fahey

Check out my massive photo collection here: https://jamesfahey.smugmug.com/

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2014, 07:06:08 PM »
That is a great article by a real scholar...beautifully supplemented with those posters James - thanks for posting, your continued efforts are much appreciated

Best wishes, Richard

Spot on, Richard.

Best wishes
Nigel

WarrenD

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2014, 11:52:20 PM »
Thanks for posting this Jamo. Sir Harry's tome on modeling is a must read for anyone. Not to denigrate any of the fine folks here, but I think we've seen the last of his breed. A gentleman and a scholar of the highest sort.

Warren

Michael Scarborough

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2014, 12:42:40 AM »
Thanks for these posters, Jamo. Really wonderful stuff!

This is way off topic, but, I'm preparing a talk I need to give in Chicago on Saturday that deals with Japanese art's influence on Art Nouveau and Art Deco art, (as I said, way off topic) and it's amazing to see the style of these posters where Nouveau is trickling off and Deco is trickling in....and I'm only seeing, and realizing, that sort of morphing for the first time in your posters.

Anyway, all this to say thank you for posting them...they've given me quite a kick.

Cheers from NYC,
Michael (old dog who is apparently capable of still learning new tricks.)

Offline rlrimell

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2014, 04:02:40 AM »
Hi Guys,

I agree with Warren wholeheartedly. Forum members may be interested to learn that Harry had produced a completely revised and expanded third edition of his classic plastic card modelling book. It lay in limbo with Argus for many years and despite his frequent requests for news, they strung Harry along for a disgracefully long time before returning it all saying they could no longer publish, despite  having already signed the contracts. >:( By which time Harry's health was such that he never took issue with them.

I have all that material here in three large boxes and it looks like no-one  ever  even touched it at Argus-not that I'm surprised. The stories I could tell you...

On a more positive note I am slowly going through it all with the hope of finally getting this in print if there is sufficient interest. :-\ I realise that with such great kits around these days, the art of scratch-building may no longer be forefront in many minds-nevertheless I would be interested to have your thoughts guys...
Ray R.

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2014, 04:17:23 AM »

On a more positive note I am slowly going through it all with the hope of finally getting this in print if there is sufficient interest. :-\ I realise that with such great kits around these days, the art of scratch-building may no longer be forefront in many minds-nevertheless I would be interested to have your thoughts guys...
Ray R.

I would definitely buy it.

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2014, 05:14:11 AM »
Me too!

Best wishes
Nigel

guitarlute101

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2014, 05:25:22 AM »
Me too!

Offline radio

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2014, 06:17:49 AM »
Me too!
Martin

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2014, 01:26:50 PM »
i have a 1975 version of the scale model a/c in plastic card. its definately worth having . an updated version sounds great.keep us posted ray i would also love a new hannover cl at war with new woodman data to add to the coveted original datafile i have.

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2014, 03:05:05 PM »
Ray

Please add my name to the buyers list for Harry's revised plastic card modelling book. The one I have is treasured and won't even be loaned out, it's that precious! I would love an updated edition- doubly so because it would honour Harry's memory for the invaluable work he did for modellers.

kind regards

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Online RAGIII

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2014, 11:58:02 AM »
That is a great article by a real scholar...beautifully supplemented with those posters James - thanks for posting, your continued efforts are much appreciated

Best wishes, Richard

Spot on, Richard.

Best wishes
Nigel

Got to agree with the others! Thabks,
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2014, 01:14:11 PM »