Author Topic: Wingnut Wings has been permanently closed down  (Read 40840 times)

Dekenba1

Re: Wingnut Wings has been permanently closed down
« Reply #60 on: April 24, 2020, 04:36:10 AM »
I think the assumption is that they were being subsidized by PJ, and I'm sure they were initially, but latterly the allegations have been that they were being subsidized unknowingly by the NZ taxpayer and this is why the shit has now hit the fan

Folks in N. America probably know the online retailer Scale Modelist.  They are one of the larger online hobby shops in the USA.  They have been absolutely overloaded with orders for the last several weeks, such that they are now urging caution in placing orders and noting that orders will likely be delayed by 4 days (which is a ton relative to their normal fast service).  They literally stated about a week ago that recent sales have been the highest in the company's history.

So yes, as noted, COVID19 has seemingly boosted the model hobby more than hurt it.

The stated goal at WNW was always that Peter Jackson would supply money, but only to the extent that the entity was able to break even on its own. 

Even if the pandemic was somehow hurting business at WNW, you would think PJ could step in and right the ship for the near term knowing the company would rebound when the world returns to normal. 

Or more drastic, but temporary measures could be employed to keep the cogs oiled. At which point we wouldn't be hearing about permanent firings and the company shutting down permanently.

Without question, something fishy is going on here.  Which makes the story all the more interesting.

Don't forget, PJ has made his fortune in the film industry.

That same industry is estimated to have collectively lost $7bn to date, with forecasts of the total loss being at least $20bn.

The WETA group employs 2000 people. If their average monthly salary is $4k, then each month the wage bill alone is $8 million. The NZ government has schemes to help out, but they are largely aimed at lower salaried workers. Add in rent, rates, utilities, tax, etc and the bills soon mount up.

So my considered guess is that PJ is simply herding his resources towards his main businesses. WNW & TVAL are simply disposable, at least in the short to medium term, because they don't produce any income.

Of course, I'm probably wrong.

Offline Captain Slower

• Every Dog Has His Day
« Reply #61 on: April 25, 2020, 02:51:10 AM »
I think that TVAL and WNW issues are separate.  TVAL scaled back from being a manufacturer and a collection to being a collection, largely due to DeMarco actions.

WNW has me a bit baffled as they pulled the plug with the HP's nearing completion, and DRI's coming along.  Plus, PJ's pet project, the two Lancasters with one version at a very low altitude!  That this was a permanent closure and not a medically induced coma, leads me to think this goes beyond 'COVID cash-flow'.   I do not think for a minute the PJ or Weta management wanted to see any of this happen to their employees or customers.  So there is something deeper whether at the off-shore production facility or in Wellington.  Some day, we will have a better idea as to what had gone down.

If I were the buyer, one of my stipulations would be the completion of the DRI and other tooling. 

Offline Ringleheim

« Reply #62 on: April 26, 2020, 05:22:06 AM »
Let's not forget, too, that Peter Jackson has a personal net worth of $500 million US, at least according to what I can easily find online.  That actually strikes me as low given the existence of the 6 LOTR/Hobbit films, but who knows.

The Vintage Aviator closing is also fishy, in that I thought they basically made custom built WWI replicas for wealthy individuals/entities looking to buy a "new" WWI aircraft.

That sort of specialized market segment isn't losing money because of COVID 19.  That market segment is recession proof.

I remember during the last big recession at the end of the 2000s; the Ferrari waiting list for certain models was 5 years long.

Offline James

Wingnut Wings has been permanently closed down
« Reply #63 on: April 26, 2020, 08:13:38 AM »
As of right now, Sprue Brothers in the U.S. still has these In Stock -

Gotha G.I

Gotha UWD

Halberstadt Cl.II (Late)

Sopwith 5F.1 Dolphin

Hannover Cl.II (Early)

Decals -

Albatros D.V Camouflaged

Pfalz D.IIIa "Flying Circus" Part 1

4 Color Lower Lozenge
Axes Grind and Maces Clash

Offline fruibal

« Reply #64 on: April 29, 2020, 06:01:18 AM »
It would be interesting to see big players like ICM gets interested and pick up the line of WWI aircraft , ( they started now with WWI trucks and armour cars) , it is the precise moment that now  the big giant  WWI aircraft kit producer  aka WNW is knocked out and finished.They are coming up soon in  the production pipe with beautiful  home based produced kits: some of them like 1/32 pre- WW2 biplanes ( gloster gladiator, stearman PT-17 etc) .If this comes thru, 
it  would be a new  standard in the WWI  niche 132 scale aircraft market  with more accessible kits , reasonable prices and exceptional quality, just praying that they see this huge business opportunity knocking out at their door now
« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 12:24:20 PM by fruibal »

Offline James

« Reply #65 on: April 29, 2020, 07:37:49 AM »
Her's what is in stock still at Hannants...

Gotha G.I - 10+

Gotha UWD - 20+

Halberstadt Cl.II Early & Late - 20+ Each

Hannover Cl.II Early - 20+

Fokker D.VIIF Goering - 20+

Sopwith 7F.1 Snipe Barker - 20+

James

Offline James

« Reply #66 on: April 29, 2020, 07:43:00 AM »
Here is a;ll that is left In Stock at Sprue Brothers -

Gotha G.1

Gotha UWD

Sopwith 5F.1 Dolphin

Pfalz D.IIIa. "Flying Circus Part 1 Decals

James

Offline aliluke

« Reply #67 on: April 29, 2020, 06:51:38 PM »
Hi
Mighty Ape https://www.mightyape.co.nz/ in NZ has 2 AEG Early's and 2 Late's. Probably only 1 Late as I just bought one...(just confirmed that by going back to the site - 1 Late left). Mighty Ape were always above WNW list prices but at $NZ395 vs $NZ350? from WNW when they did their "calculations" and with just $NZ5.00 shipping from Mighty Ape it sort of balances out. In New Zealand we were never sure what anything would cost from WNW because of their take on US exchange rates. Shipping, at least, was very, very cheap for us here.

These are only available to NZ and Australia but if you want a pathway to buy one of these through my location send me a PM. As a member here this is just a reach out - nothing in it for me.

This is my ultimate model challenge which I have hovered over for a time and who knows if I will build it but who knows if I'll ever have the chance again to get such a kit at a sensible(ish) price to even have that opportunity?

A
« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 07:32:50 PM by aliluke »
It ain't a hobby if you have to hurry.

Offline Ringleheim

« Reply #68 on: April 30, 2020, 03:48:25 AM »
It's interesting to note that the secondary market on Ebay has already taken off!  I find that ridiculous and predict prices will come back down after this initial knee-jerk reactionary period passes.

I have the impression there is a ton of WNW inventory sitting around the world, untouched, in individual stashes.  And every so often modelers are going to realize they are never going to build that Felixstowe with the meter long wingspan and it is going to go for sale on Ebay.

And demand for that kit, for example, has never been high to begin with.

Secondary supply will continue at prices lower than what we are seeing now.

And even that situation will only be temporary, until WNW resurfaces under new ownership, which is something I feel confident will happen.

No way in hell the toolings are going to go to waste.

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #69 on: April 30, 2020, 05:18:05 AM »
I just sold a Camel (as I already have one, bought this one on impulse in a sale and found I'm not really into doing multiples of the same aircraft) on the local Ebay equivalent with bidding only (no reserves or so) and it went for more than the normal price (not all that much, I'm happy someone is happy with it) within a day. There was a lot of interest.
I suspect if I'd just let it sit for a few days it probably would have fetched a bit more.
I converted the money into CSM figures  ;D

Jeroen

Offline mgunns

« Reply #70 on: April 30, 2020, 07:03:24 AM »
Hi

These are only available to NZ and Australia but if you want a pathway to buy one of these through my location send me a PM. As a member here this is just a reach out - nothing in it for me.

I was just on their website and they show the two AEG's in stock and they do ship world wide.  I didn't go through with the purchase but the have a world wide drop down menu.  Thanks for posting this.
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline aliluke

« Reply #71 on: April 30, 2020, 03:50:23 PM »
Hi
All of the AEG's on Mighty Ape have now gone...4 expensive kits in 1 day.

A

Offline aliluke

« Reply #72 on: April 30, 2020, 04:59:56 PM »
Another worry that I just thought of is that the WnW website will disappear - you can't save images off the website only links to them. those links don't work if the site closes...There is so much reference material here... :(

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #73 on: April 30, 2020, 05:07:30 PM »
Hi Alistair

Members of the WNW Fans group on Facebook have been downloading and sharing all of the Wingnuts archive photos.

The invaluable instruction booklets are still available and free. I'd recommend anyone wanting one or all download them ASAP.

Irrespective of the kits, the Wingnuts site was/ is an invaluable reference site and it's to be hoped it will be preserved and kept available in some form.

Dave W
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Pup7309

« Reply #74 on: May 01, 2020, 11:52:42 AM »
Hi
All of the AEG's on Mighty Ape have now gone...4 expensive kits in 1 day.

A

Yes I was waiting for Mighty Ape to reopen to purchase a few and watched the kits disappear over a few days. Arrrgh! I was also watching the AEGs hoping to get them on sale but nope, gone!

Oh well hopefully WNW re opens soon...
‘Not all who wander are lost‘