Author Topic: My model railway - any other railway modellers on here?  (Read 2264 times)

Offline Squiffy

• Something up with my banter, chaps?
My model railway - any other railway modellers on here?
« on: September 10, 2014, 08:03:28 PM »
My other modelling hobby is building 1:43 scale model railways. A few pictures of the railway that I recently sold in order to make space for a new one. It's a standard gauge private sidings, at a chemical works somewhere in the north of England. It's set in the 1960s.

All the wagons and locomotives are built from kits, the wagons being plastic and the locomotives being etched brass. The buildings are scratch-built from card, plasticard and wood.

Offline Bluesfan

• MW Miniature Work
Re: My model railway - any other railway modellers on here?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 02:13:39 AM »
Beautiful work! Love some of the details and the little dramas being played out :)
I confess that trains themselves have only been of marginal interest, but buildings, landscaping etc are fascinating. When my brother built a layout recently (for my nephew, he claimed), I seized my chance to detail some of the layout and it's been great fun.
Not really up to your excellent standard, though!
Personally, I hope you'll post more of your work some time.
Cheers
Mark

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014, 07:17:26 AM »
That is the work of a talented modeller. Very interesting and wonderful to look at. I suspect the real models were even better than the photos show. Many congratulations.

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2014, 09:18:59 AM »
Squiffy,

That's a really elaborate and beautifully done project; now I understand the settings you've been displaying your aircraft in! Your talents obviously aren't limited to the aircraft genre of the hobby...........very enjoyable viewing and compliments on some very fine work.
Cheers
Lance

Offline Carpo

• A gallery of my Models
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2014, 10:09:58 PM »
Wonderful layout in a great scale.
I don't have the room!

I have just finished dismantling my HO NSW GR layout (c 1935)
Carpo

The air force will always need technicians because pilots need heroes too.

Offline IvotB

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2014, 05:42:02 AM »
Well Squiffy, my main modelling work is H0 model railroad models. I like your pictures and models very much!

You can find out a little bit more here:

http://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=2008.msg32587#msg32587

I haven't been very productive lately, but in spring I managed to finish some etched brass coaches, which are still waiting for a paint job:

The engine is a 2-4 engine built by Beyer and Peacock somewhere in the 1880's and needs to get finished too.

regards,
Ivo

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2014, 05:44:52 AM »
Ivo's link fixed:

You can find out a little bit more here:

link

Offline IvotB

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2014, 05:50:02 AM »
Bo,

Now you are really fast  ;D. I discovered the mistakes in my post, corrected them and then made some additional mistakes. I also found some spelling mistakes in the other topic. Must be more careful next time  :)

regards,
Ivo

By the way, nice kit:

Offline Thumbs up

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2014, 05:42:08 PM »
Bravo Squiffy!! The Lighting gives one the impression of a sunny afternoon,I love trains!!!

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2014, 08:22:46 PM »
Squiffy, I worked on the 1:1 scale ones for many years and yours
are much more interesting.  Well done!

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline Squiffy

• Something up with my banter, chaps?
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2014, 09:27:42 PM »
Bravo Squiffy!! The Lighting gives one the impression of a sunny afternoon,I love trains!!!

It was a sunny afternoon. The lighting is natural.  :)

Offline NP

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2014, 02:13:36 AM »
Hi,

That's really impressive modelling, to my eye.  The brass kit also.

I started dabbling myself this year and am about a third of the way through a first (!) layout.  I wasn't sure what era or locale to depict but just put down some N guage track on the basis I'd make it up as I go along and see where it takes me.  I got some HON30 trains to run on it so I can do the buildings etc in 1/87 scale, my eyesight being atrocious the 1/148 scale  won't do for me but the narrow guage trains being smaller and track radii being tighter I've got a lot into the available space - best of both worlds!  This Dixie Creek layout is my inspiration.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1pH5AfiP60

WarrenD

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2014, 01:28:43 PM »
I'm late to this, I know, but that's simply beautiful work Squiffy, and those brass locos IvotB are superb.

I've always had an interest in railroad modeling, and model railroading.  ;)  Sadly, I just don't have the room or the time for it now, I can't even seem to get a model aircraft completed.  :'(  I recently sold off my the locomotives and rolling stock I accumulated for my planned layout, but kept my books.

My one railroad connection is my grandfather. While employed at Conley Switch and Frog in Memphis, TN in the 1920's, he created/designed a sliding rail joint that is used on every RR switch and RR bridge in North America.

Warren

Michael Scarborough

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2014, 12:43:50 PM »
Like Warren, I'm just finding this.

Great work Squiffy and IvotT! I was heavily into On3 for along time but, for me,  it was about the models more then the trains themselves. Interestingly, I just replied to a post by Terri about doing commission work and it was painting brass locos on commission and structure models for clients that burned me out on that specific hobby. I ended up selling a huge collection and went back to school to study fine cabinet making.

But, my one planned foray into 1/48 WWI aircraft modeling is a Zebrugge diorama which will feature the Ardpol FF.33 (?) and a gorgeous German T-3 locomotive from a gent named Schnellenkamp. But that is long in the future.

On the 1:1 note, my grandfather was an engineer from Southern Railway and my uncle was a welder for Central of Georgia. Small world, eh, Warren!

Personally, I think this sort of cross modeling only serves to advance ones skills in other model media. I hope this isn't blasphemous but I am all for the sharing of images of non-aircraft subjects by the WWI aircraft modelers on the site if there is a spot designated for it. Apologies to Des if this isn't kosher.

Sorry...didn't mean to turn this into a post about me...I guess you can tell I was excited.

Thanks for sharing, guys!

Michael

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2014, 02:43:46 PM »
Lovely, lovely stuff, Squiffy and Ivo!  My uncle had an ever evolving, enormous HO world that filled his entire basement and I was totally enthralled with it.  To this day, I would love to do what you guys do, but I know that it would completely devour every moment of my modeling time.  I really envy you guys and admire your work.  Please, give us more.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence