Poll

Do you have a favorite scale? If so what is your preferred scale?

1:32
31 (54.4%)
1:48
17 (29.8%)
1:72
8 (14%)
Other (please explain)
1 (1.8%)

Total Members Voted: 52

Author Topic: What's Your Favorite Scale  (Read 3541 times)

Offline skeeterbuck

What's Your Favorite Scale
« on: December 29, 2012, 12:08:09 AM »
I have been a WWI aircraft modeler since I was a child. (many years ago). I started with the Aurora kits that I sure many of the older builders here remember fondly. I recently saw a fellow WWI modeler and he inquired what I was "working on"? I told him that I was looking to start on the Fly Roland D-VI b kit. He recommended that I look into the WNW kit as it was a beautiful kit with excellent instructions etc.

Now I know that from all the reviews and builds I have seen of the WNW kits, that what my fellow modeler says is true. For me though 1:32 scale is just too big. I much prefer 1:48 as the ideal size for most aircraft. This has got me thinking as to what is currently the most popular scale? Just for the record, I have built kits in 1:72 and 1:32, but my first love is 1:48 scale.

Dekenba

Re: What's Your Favorite Scale
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 02:32:44 AM »
Are there scales other than 1/32?!

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 04:04:11 AM »
I would've chosen 1/24th but it's not a viable option for WWI. (!/16th is, sorta... but anyway...) Not just 'cause my eyes are getting old and hands not as steady as they once were either. I always liked the big scales... -- always been interested in the details, always wanted to read the gauges, etc.

Loved the Airfix 1/24th kits when I was a kid -- the hurricane, Spit I, 109E and Mustang were epic builds for me.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 09:17:35 AM »
I admire and envy people who can work in 1:72 and 1:48 scales, they do incredible work producing some immaculate models, but for my age I build only 1:32 scale. I like the larger scale for the detail that can be added and the completed model is not overly large (except for the Gotha), and at the moment the price of a 1:32 scale WW1 aeroplane kit is still quite affordable. Í class myself as being very fortunate at 62 to still have pretty good eye sight and very steady hands, but I presume this will deteriorate over time, so I will make the best of it while I can.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2012, 09:52:42 AM »
I admire and envy people who can work in 1:72 and 1:48 scales, they do incredible work producing some immaculate models, but for my age I build only 1:32 scale. I like the larger scale for the detail that can be added and the completed model is not overly large (except for the Gotha), and at the moment the price of a 1:32 scale WW1 aeroplane kit is still quite affordable. Í class myself as being very fortunate at 62 to still have pretty good eye sight and very steady hands, but I presume this will deteriorate over time, so I will make the best of it while I can.

Des.

Des,
   Given your spectacular results I am shocked that you are, like me, sort of old! I too, despite complaining, feel very fortunate to have reasonable health and hands at 68 however my move from 1:48 to 1:32 didn't come by coincidence. Thank Gawd for Optivisors and the larger scales; as Uncle Tony says "1:24 is not a viable option for WWI (I assume for lack of product) however that situation applied to 1:32 until recently. Let's just say that if a company like WNW starts procucing quality kits in the even larger scale you'll find me there when you arrive!
Cheers and many more years of happy modelling!
Lance  :) ;)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 10:00:18 AM by lcarroll »

WarrenD

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2012, 11:24:18 AM »
I'm pretty committed to 1/72nd for the reasons of economy in terms of both money and shelf space. I do not profess to do good work in that scale (having only completed one and having five kits in various states of destruction at the moment), but I will not go gentle unto that good night, and I will still attempt to work in 1/72nd for as long as I can. Also my aviation interests run up to 1944 as well, and some of my favorites are just not viable in a larger scale.

I honestly think the relatively recent popularity of 1/32nd scale in aviation kits is due in no small part to the aging population of modelers in general and the attendant vision, etc. that go along with advancing years. My eyes are nowhere near what they used to be, and I wear a magnifier ALL the time when working on my kits (BTW I'm 51.) However, if an old friend of mine not much older that me can overcome vision problems AND glaucoma (he wears two sets of magnifiers at times) and still rig 1/700th scale ships, then certainly I can try to manage some 1/72nd scale kits.

Warren

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2012, 11:52:55 AM »
If Wingnut Wings had not come on the scene I wonder if the poll results would be different, bearing in mind that Roden have had 1:32 scale kits for quite some time. As far as WW1 aircraft models go I pressumed that 1:72 was the most popular scale, that's all I built way back in the old days. Our aging modeling community certainly has set a standard as far as scale goes but the release of the superb WnW kits has also added to the popularity of this scale. I even noticed that the 'ýounger' modelers tend to lean towards the 1:32 scale kits especially WnW, time will tell if this scale remains top of the list.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2012, 01:07:20 PM »
I think there are different motivations that drives ones interest towards a particular scale. In my case, if it were practical, I'd work in 1:1 (or even larger)

Meaning: miniatures per se have no real hold on me. I admire them as I do say, a tiny Vermeer canvas, but intrinsically no more than, say, a life size Rembrandt. My real interest lies purely in the subject at hand. I want to trace my fingers over the details of what makes (or made) these things tick, imagine what it was like to see and smell them in action, what it might have been like to fight and die in them,  think about what problems the designers were struggling with when they were conceived, walk a while in the squadron painter's shoes etc.

I suppose it is heretical to admit this, but I rarely find even exceptionally well done small scale models to be very compelling in real life. Far more interesting to me when depicted in photos.  :o

Offline IanB

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2012, 02:29:34 PM »
I only build 1:72 for reasons already stated: space and cost, plus it's what I grew up with. My aim is a collection of as many WWI types as possible and that can only be achieved in 1:72. Besides that, It's the perfect scale for detail: I can add what I want, but don't have to add too much (valve springs???) If you can work those in 1:32 or 1:48 surely you can add a little detail in 1:72?  ;)
 Having said that, I do have an Airfix 1:24 Stuka and 1:12 Bentley in the stash..... I'm hoping they'll be really simple due to the large scale....

Maybe things will change as I get older, but I'm pushing 50 and have to remove my glasses to work on my models...... ::)

Ian

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2012, 05:42:34 PM »
48th is my preferred scale, but you got to love the plastic coming out of NZ  ;)

BVB

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline Ian from Doncaster

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2012, 07:56:33 PM »
At the moment I would say 1:32 and that is purely down to WNW, and the quality of their models which allows a relative newcomer like me to produce reasonable results.  My first WWI model was the Revell 1:72 Dr.1, which I thought built into a decent job albeit with minimal interior detail.  During my research into build logs etc for that model I "discovered" websites that preceded this one, and that introduced me to WNW.  Having built a few models from other eras (mostly 1:72 due to cost/size) I took the plunge with WNW and haven't looked back.

However, I would argue that 1:48 would be the ideal scale - small enough for several aircraft on one shelf but large enough for some detailing.  Now if WNW made kits in that scale..........

Offline skeeterbuck

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2012, 11:57:31 PM »
However, I would argue that 1:48 would be the ideal scale - small enough for several aircraft on one shelf but large enough for some detailing.  Now if WNW made kits in that scale..........

Ian, this mirrors my thinking too!  ;)

Now IF...WNW did make 1/48 scale, then I would think that I had died and gone to heaven for sure. IMHO, Eduard and some others to a lesser extent have been a real savior for 1:48 scale WW-I modelers.

WarrenD

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2012, 12:23:19 AM »
Des,
       I believe the trend was already there before WNW, in terms of a/c modeling in general. Look at all of the releases by the big hitters (Tamiya, Hasegawa, etc., etc.) over the last few years. Roden got in on the trend, but I think WNW pushed it over the edge in terms of WWI, making modeling a/c from this era seem more accessible.

Warren

Offline N.C.S.E

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2012, 08:35:45 AM »
I've been sold on 1/32 I must say by WnW. Just the level of detail you can get is superb.
The years to come seem waste of breathe, a waste of breathe on balance with this life, this death. - W.M.Yeates

Offline Rob Hart

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2012, 12:23:00 PM »
I build (and buy) 1/48 exclusively.