Author Topic: Polystyrene in the Rockies  (Read 1102 times)

Offline ScottJ

Polystyrene in the Rockies
« on: September 02, 2023, 09:27:56 AM »
Greetings all, my name is Scott and I’m based out of Midvale Utah, USA.  I’m a member of the World War I Modeling Page… I guess a former member as the site still seems to exist but the forum has been shut down?  I’ve seen quite a few names I recognize from that site here so think I’ve probably arrived at a good place.
I started modeling at around the age of 6 or 7, inspired by my father who also enjoyed the hobby.  He was retired USAAF/USAF but had more of an affinity for WWI aircraft (probably from the films he grew up with… Wings, Dawn Patrol, Hells Angles, etc.).  In fact, when I was born my father was on base at “beer call” and upon arriving at the base hospital informed the staff that I was to be named Manfred.  More level and sober heads prevailed (Thanks Mom!) and that didn’t happen.
At the time, the Revell 1/72 First World War kits were most prevalent but I did come across kits from Airfix from time to time (also Aurora when I ventured briefly into 1/48).  I enjoyed the Revell “Aces” kits which were the 3 in 1 boxing’s.  I built those kits many times over and eventually just started to lose interest at building the same aircraft. 
In the 80’s through the early 90’s I was fanatically interested in Formula 1 and started building the 1/20 scale kits, mostly from Tamiya.  These were excellent kits and I really enjoyed building them.  One day in the late nineties I was at my local hobby store and I came across a 1/72 Toko kit of the Pfalz D.XII.  This was nothing short of a revelation and ignited my interest again in WWI aircraft and I haven’t looked back since (however, I’ve still got some F1 kits that I would like to finish).
I’m looking forward to following posted projects and the general knowledge from others on this site.  I’ve got a lot of existing ground to cover looking around the site so that will also keep me busy for a while.  I don’t know how active I’ll be at posting at this time, when I retired I took on a house upgrade project of painting the interior, new switches/outlets, blinds, etc.  I’ve completed it except for the room where I do my assembly… not only is it a mess in there with my modeling paraphernalia but it became the catch all for everything that I moved out of the other rooms and never returned.  It’s become a project within a project.
Thanks for reading…
You can't grub with the sparrows when you've flown with the hawks... 
E.P. Janney?

Offline Davos522

Re: Polystyrene in the Rockies
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2023, 10:14:56 AM »
Hi Scott, welcome to the Forum from another relative newcomer. If you were a member of the WWIMML you should feel right at home here, I certainly did (I was Dave No 11 or 12 over there, I think). And yes, the List itself shut down for good a couple of months ago, although the website is still online. Allan Wright held the fort as long as he could, but due to server changes at the University of New Hampshire they just couldn't keep the mailing list active. It was a good run, though, twenty years plus is nothing to sneeze at in this day & age.

One huge advantage of the Forum is the ease of keeping a build log, which this bunch has brought to a fine art; not a day goes by that I don't learn something new.

All best

Dutch

Offline ScottJ

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2023, 06:15:15 AM »
Dutch,
Thank you for the welcome.  There's a ton of information on this site, I'm sure it will take me quite a while to look around and get a feel for how things work here.
Was also glad for the info you provided on the WWIMML site.  It just seemed to stop existing one day.  Allan did a great job with it but always wondered what would happen when/if he left the University or retired.  Hope that site is still accessible for some time (as the same with the WNW site) as there is still a lot of good information there.
Take care
Scott
You can't grub with the sparrows when you've flown with the hawks... 
E.P. Janney?

Offline PJ Fisher

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2023, 09:25:08 AM »
Nice to meet you and welcome back to the WW1 game.  Glad you didn't get stuck with 'Manfred' involuntarily. My father, who was also in the USAF and got me into model airplanes as a kid, kindly made the paternal sacrifice to ensure none of his sons got stuck with the name he and his father were assigned... 'Kermit'.

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2023, 10:30:17 AM »
Welcome aboard Scott! Thanks for sharing your story and it's great to have you.
Zac in NZ

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2023, 12:55:57 AM »
Welcome "Home" Scott, reading your background this is definitely where your interests will be best served. There's a ton of good people and an endless trove of information to be found on this Forum, enjoy!
Cheers,
Lance