Author Topic: Merit 1/24 SE5a : A beginners journey  (Read 12829 times)

Offline dinor

Re: Merit 1/24 SE5a : A beginners journey
« Reply #45 on: May 09, 2020, 05:48:12 PM »
Well....its finally finished.

I always wanted to complete this model. apart from an innate desire to see it finished the main reason was in honor of Des and as my way to say thank you and 'tip my hat' to him so to speak.

It was very poignant for me to return to this thread for a final post and noticing that the last entry was from Des :'(. Somehow its made it feel right.

So my hat off to you Des and thanks for your encouragement and enthusiasm.... I'm sure you are looking down on all of us mate. :D

This model presented some challenges.......

- my first WW1 model with the associated complexities of making eyelets, rigging, wood staining for the propellor etc. I found the alignment of the struts and wings a nightmare the rigging less so.

- I also changed the shade of red mid build and subsequently lost my preshadng detail, this was only exceeded by losing the sprue with the photo etched parts so dont go looking for the gunsight ring and a couple of other details.

- its also my first time scratchbuilding some items such as control horns, fuel cap, lewis trigger cable,pulley cables (not really visible) and pitot tube.

- During its period of storage , one of the bottom wings had become detached so required a certain amount of repair.

- hand painting the A and kangaroo on the side which I researched and completed and then found additional references which showed them to be slightly mishapen .... !

- my first attempt at a diorama base and bench and some scratched built 'tools'

- and finally I was keen to try some weathering with the model being a tribuite and depicting a tired 'end of its life' instructional airframe used by Les Holden MC AFC on the home front after his tours of service.

I had hoped to finish it by ANZAC Day here in Australia as a tribute to Les and the diggers but just missed it by a couple of weeks. That sentiment is unchanged though.

Anyway whats important is it completed, far far far from perfect or even a high standard but I sure learnt a lot. This could belong in any number of threads ..... the original thread or the Shelf of Doom, or the lockdown threads but could I request it be moved to the Des Delatorre Memorial thread please ?

Anyway , whats next ?

I have already started the Merit 1/24 Fokker DR1 Triplane for a bit more practise then on to the build I promised to also complete for Des...my Hasewaga 1/8 Museum series Fokker DR1....oh dear  ;D

« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 09:42:01 PM by dinor »

Offline dinor

« Reply #46 on: May 09, 2020, 06:39:09 PM »

« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 06:46:53 PM by dinor »

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #47 on: May 09, 2020, 08:50:37 PM »
That looks great!  Congrats!
There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #48 on: May 09, 2020, 10:03:16 PM »
Excellent results from a Kit that is less than perfect! I think Des would have loved your results and the Firsts in making the base and table!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline RichieW

« Reply #49 on: May 10, 2020, 04:23:36 AM »
That's great, love the little work bench! That must be a big imposing kite on display.

Offline smperry

« Reply #50 on: May 10, 2020, 04:28:11 AM »
The scaled down plans are, what is it y'all Britts call it, oh yeah, the Bees Knees. Definitely. I really like what you have done with it.
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: May 10, 2020, 06:35:01 AM »
   Congratulations on a very nice finish, very impressive and in 1:24th probably even more so in real life. You've got it all, finish, detail, rigging, and construction;not bad for a "Beginner"! ;) ;)
   I'll leave it to Dave to move this per your request, I don't have that function and he does the "Magic" stuff. Des would indeed be proud of this one, and for very good reason, and so should you!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #52 on: May 11, 2020, 06:01:43 AM »
That is a super model: as others have written the table, charts, tools, weathering etc all make it look very realistic indeed. I too am certain that Des would greatly appreciate that - a wonderful tribute to him.

Stephen.

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: May 11, 2020, 09:16:30 AM »
Thats an excellent SE5a Dinor, a real gem and the first Merit 1/24th SE5a I've seen finished. Your scheme is quite striking and the overall effect is very impressive. I'm surprised we have not seen more 1/24th scale WW1 kits on the market.

Re your request to move it to the Des thread, that was a group build competition board and this was not an entry. The Completed Models board would be suitable if you agree to that.

cheers

Dave W
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline dinor

« Reply #54 on: May 11, 2020, 03:52:54 PM »
Thanks for the kind comments everyone, I'm most 'chuffed'  :)

Fully understand Dave and Yes Please.

Thanks again

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #55 on: May 13, 2020, 08:16:05 AM »
 Dino,
Wow what an impressive bit of modeling my friend. I love that red paintwork! Beautiful tribute to your skill and craftsmanship. Des is certainly smiling down on this awesome model. Well Done!
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"