Author Topic: LVG C.VI Wingnut  (Read 14371 times)

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
Re: LVG C.VI Wingnut
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2018, 04:12:55 AM »
 Alistair,
Beautiful wood works my old friend. Absolutely love the map, Wow. Looking forward to seeing more.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2018, 04:21:08 AM »
Alistair,
Beautiful wood works my old friend. Absolutely love the map, Wow. Looking forward to seeing more.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette

Agree 100%

Offline Doug Mace

« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2018, 05:28:11 AM »
Agree 200%...wonderful work, Alistair...and that map is incredible....colored pencils?!?...another wow.
"Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes"  -   Oscar Wilde

Offline aliluke

« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2018, 08:41:39 AM »
Thanks all for your generous comments.

Borsos - if I'd known about that map site I sure would have gone that way! Next time.

Cheers
Alistair
It ain't a hobby if you have to hurry.

Offline aliluke

« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2018, 11:43:33 AM »
Been slow on the modelling lately but just finished the Benz engine. Tried wiring the plugs and magneto for the first time - mixed results - but a fun challenge. Photos show where a few touch-ups are needed! I added a rough white lagging to the inlet tubing - mix of white paint and talc - which seems to fit with photos for the LVG I'm doing. The biggest challenge was masking and painting the red stripe around the cylinders - drove me nuts...There is more detail I could add looking at Jamo's photos but I'm going to putting the cowls on so I think, aside from the touch-ups, that'll leave it here.

Cheers
Alistair

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2018, 03:46:14 PM »
Some fantastic work!   Love the benz's and the wood!

Gaz
There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.

Offline aliluke

« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2018, 12:01:36 PM »
Hi
Haven't updated for a while. Now ready to get on with the wings, tail as the body is kind of complete. Wing lozenges next. I'm keeping everything pretty clean with minimal washes etc. Factory finish and following the French Memorial Flight version as much as I can...

Cheers
Alistair

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2018, 02:17:40 PM »
Very nice update.
Giuseppe

Offline rhwinter

« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2018, 03:25:06 PM »
Great update, Alistair! I appreciate very much that you also took pics from the upper and the lower side of the fuselage. To seldom seen...
Richard

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2018, 04:32:14 PM »
Love it!  Great looking wood and other details!

Primo!

Gaz

There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2018, 05:54:09 PM »
Great wood. The fuselage is terrific. Only the engine could get a bit more grime IMHO.
Bye,
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2018, 10:51:52 PM »
Looks awesome so far. I am of course, looking forward to seeing the wings on  8)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2018, 11:32:44 PM »
Just beautiful!
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline aliluke

« Reply #43 on: June 06, 2018, 08:51:57 PM »
Thanks all - your comments are much appreciated!
Just struggling through the internal bracing wires between the upper wing stub and the fuselage today. I can see why many leave these off as they are seriously difficult to install...but I'll get there and they'll be in! Also 2 x blew the tachometer decal - dumb mistakes - and had to raid my DFW kit decals for a third time lucky one to get it to hold together, stick and stay. Sorted now and the tacho is in. Patience is a long learnt virtue but very trying at times. Lessons learnt.

Manni - yep maybe the engine could be a little more grimy but I'm not very confident with grime yet and going for a clean look. Will try a more worn version of a plane sometime in the future.

Aside from cutting the lozenges - gulp - my other question to myself is whether to try turnbuckles or go for the WNW advice and just leave them off? Only I can answer that - maybe this model or maybe the next?.

Cheers
Alistair

Offline eclarson

« Reply #44 on: June 06, 2018, 11:16:27 PM »
Hi Alistair,

Your LVG is coming along great! 

The LVG was my first Wingnut build and second WWI aircraft in general. I remember all too well those wires between the upper wing center and fuselage.  I managed to get them installed only to have one pull loose.  Somehow I got it reattached though.

Clean is good!  I feel that excessive weathering detracts from the model's appearance so tend to keep such effects to a minimum.  It's easy to get carried away and end up with an engine that looks like it's been lying in a scrap yard rather than on operational unit lovingly cared for by it's crew chief.   :)

As for turnbuckles, I think they add visual interest to the model, especially in this scale, so usually represent them with hollow tubing.  In the case of my LVG I used stainless steel hypodermic tubing as brass tubing of the appropriate size wasn't available at that time.  Rigging line was 4lb. test monofilament fishing line painted with Humbrol Metalcote Steel.

Cheers,
Eric