Author Topic: More photos, all sorts, good detail & size  (Read 4003 times)

Offline Jamo

• Wellington, NZ
    • My Smugmug album
More photos, all sorts, good detail & size
« on: October 02, 2014, 07:04:10 PM »
Found these over on Flickr on Drake Goodman's photostream, as usual click on images to see full size

Unhappy Landing by Wooway1, on Flickr

Ready To Fly by Wooway1, on Flickr

The 1918 Salmson 2A2 by thegreatlandoni, on Flickr

Marine Flieger Funeral #2 by Wooway1, on Flickr

Marine Flieger Funeral #3 by Wooway1, on Flickr

German Aviators by Wooway1, on Flickr

Flugplatz Kiew by SMU Central University Libraries, on Flickr

Helmuth Felmy (left) O.i.C 300th Flying-Battaliao 'Pascha'
Helmuth Felmy (left) O.i.C 300th Flying-Battaliao 'Pascha' by zac191418, on Flickr

Brussels, Army Museum, British tank Mark IV, interior. View into the rear of the tank, with transmission and storage racks for HE shells.
British Mk IV Male tank Lodestar III in original colours.
970507 41 Brussels, Army Museum, British tank Mark IV, interior by Hans de Regt, on Flickr

970507 25 Brussels, Army Museum, British tank Mark IV, interior by Hans de Regt, on Flickr

Two Airmen - South Carlton - FE2 Aeroplane by Curmo, on Flickr

South Carlton- RE8 (Serial No. A3754) by Curmo, on Flickr

LVG C.IV
1918 by KarstJager, on Flickr

T607716-297 by Royal Air Force Museum Collection, on Flickr

Two officers of the Luftstreitkräfte examine a Friedrichshafen G.III bomber. The gunner wears a flying suit, and the gun ring is the LVG model. Note the clearly defined nighttime lozenge camouflage pattern on the fuselage.
Friedrichshafen G.III by Thomas Wictor, on Flickr

Trench digger
Mcgrew_0304 by San Diego Air & Space Museum Archives, on Flickr

Rumpler C. I a (Han) 4584/16 built by Hannoversche Waggonfabrik A.G. with 180 P.S. Argus As.III engine
Two Seater by Wooway1, on Flickr

This Albatros was displayed in paris together with lots of other aircraft around the Place de la Concorde. A Jasta 37 aircraft, possibly belonging to OfzStv Löwensen. The square was packed with captured cannons, while at the Tuileries (Louvres) a German observation balloon was displayed together with remnants of a Zeppelin. The occasion for this war booty exposition (held from October 17, 1918 till later in October 1918) was for the French war bond rallye for 1918. Scenes on the streets and squares with lots of war booty has been heavily photographed by (press) photographers. The German aircraft which were still standing on Armistice Day (November 11, 1918) were destroyed and sometimes set to fire by the jubilant crowd.
Albatros D5 by Wooway1, on Flickr

Rumpler G.III (serial G.311/16) of Bogohl 2
Rumpler G III and Crew by Wooway1, on Flickr

DFW CV
October 10, 1918 by Wooway1, on Flickr

Another DFW CV
A Little Mishap by Wooway1, on Flickr

And another
Two Seater Crew by Wooway1, on Flickr

Albatros DII, serial D.910/16 flown by Lt. Max Böhme of Jasta 5. He was shot down & captured near Tilley on 4th of March 1917 after combat with Lts Graham and Boddy of No. 11 Sqadron RFC and Lt. Pearson of No. 29 Squadron RFC.
Captured German aeroplane by National Library of Scotland, on Flickr

Nieuport 17 or 23. Aircraft is being refueled. Look at that crooked spout on the fueling can. The oil tank for the castor oil was mounted right on top of the firewall right behind the engine on the Nieuport. Royal Flying Corps Training Depot Station, Gullane, Scotland.
'I flipped a Camel for 50 minutes' by Bigadore, on Flickr

British soldiers posing with a wrecked Ottoman AEG C.IV reconnaissance plane. Palestine. WW1. Circa 1917-1918
British soldiers posing with a wrecked Ottoman AEG C.IV reconnaissance plane. Palestine. WW1. Circa 1917-1918. by benicektoo, on Flickr

Rumpler Taube
Rumpler Taube by amphalon, on Flickr

Albatros C.I. Notice that the Hazet style radiators have fabric covering the lower portions to help keep the engine coolant warm enough for the engine to run smoothly in the harsh winter climate
German Air War #4 by hliguy, on Flickr

Albatros CIII
Albatros C-III by San Diego Air & Space Museum Archives, on Flickr

AEG G.IV with P.u.W. bombs (will we see this marking from WNW?)
German Air War #1 by hliguy, on Flickr

Albatros B type. The timeframe is 1917-18 due to the overpainted aircraft and iron cross markings w/ the white borders around them and is at a training unit. Mercedes engine would've been either a 100 or 120 h.p. D.II.
Aviators in a Two Seater Unit by Wooway1, on Flickr

3-bay wings (three pairs of wing struts for a longer wingspan)... this would indicate an AEG G.V, not a G.IV. G.IVs had a two-bay wing cellule. Same fuselage as the G.IV, though. The tail unit was used by some late G.IV and G.IVk, as well as the G.V. The AEG G.IV was very successful in the night bombing role. It had better performance and handling than the Gotha G-series, but was not used for raids across the English Channel. It was used on the Western and Eastern Fronts.
Untitled by BrandonBphotography, on Flickr
Happy Modelling
James Fahey

Check out my massive photo collection here: https://jamesfahey.smugmug.com/

Offline Nigel Jackson

Re: More photos, all sorts, good detail & size
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2014, 08:35:33 PM »
Thanks as ever James.

I wonder whose funeral procession we are seeing in two of the photos.

Isn't that a delightful image of the Taube? It shows the wing design so beautifully.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2014, 10:15:51 PM »
Wonderful pictures, James!  Thank you for getting them to us. :D

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Michael Scarborough

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2014, 11:32:18 PM »
Thanks, James, for these photos.....as I find myself being sucked deeper into the Black(PC10?)Hole of WWI Aero, I'm finding your pictures to be both helpful and really inspirational.....lots of ideas for dioramas! And the shots of those at TVAL, showing usage, are proving invaluable as I work on this Pup.

Many thanks!

Cheers from NYC,
Michael

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2014, 12:01:06 AM »
   That AEG G.IV looks fascinating. If WNW don't try it I'd bet several here will!
Great content, Jamo. Again Thanks for your efforts.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2014, 12:16:12 AM »
Wonderful stuff, Jamo!  Thanks for posting.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2014, 07:54:56 AM »
Terrific photos! Thanks for posting. I/We really appreciate the time you put into finding and sharing these gems!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline IanB

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2014, 10:07:02 AM »
Great pics, but at least 2, the Albatros C.III crashed against a building, and the following AEG G.IV with the teeth, are from Windsock Datafiles! There could be a copyright issue here....

Ian

Offline Jamo

• Wellington, NZ
    • My Smugmug album
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2014, 10:24:59 AM »
The people who post these images are not modellers, they are photo and postcard collectors buying mostly off ebay and other auction sites. The images are generally higher resolution than you would get from scanning a Windsock Datafile. Often these photos have been copied in the past and there are more than one in circulation
Happy Modelling
James Fahey

Check out my massive photo collection here: https://jamesfahey.smugmug.com/

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2014, 10:36:29 AM »
Thanks James for posting the images, there are some fascinating photos but my best is the Taube, beautiful aeroplane.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com