Author Topic: Wingnut Wings Sopwith Camel "LeRhone" Major DR MacLaren  (Read 40331 times)

Offline lone modeller

Re: Wingnut Wings Sopwith Camel "LeRhone" Major DR MacLaren
« Reply #165 on: December 06, 2017, 05:12:25 AM »
Now Lance that jig is just cheating!! The rigging looks very good, especially the acorn which I reckon must have caused the language to go blue..... This will be a real stunner when it is complete.

Stephen.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #166 on: December 06, 2017, 07:36:52 AM »
Stephen,
    Thanks for checking in and commenting, it's always great to hear from the "Ultimate Jigmeister"!
    The Acorn, yes, it was a bit of a teaser! I recall when I was 10 years of age or so reading Paul Brickhill's "Reach for the Sky" As I'm sure you'll agree those were gentler and more "gentlemanly" times thus four letter words were rarely seen in print. He stated several times that Bader, in a stressful situation, uttered "one short unprintable word". I loved the phrase and when I discovered on the first attempt that when tightened up the Acorn pointed backwards I did the same, only uttered it numerous times! It's one of those "measure twice, cut once " stories. If you connect the bottom wires to the top of the cabanes etc. and then firm up the wires you'll find of course that the thing will rotate and there you are! Thankfully only the uppers were glued and had to be replaced...... :-\
   My "Fun Meter" is now back in the green zone again.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #167 on: December 06, 2017, 07:48:08 AM »
Stephen,
    Thanks for checking in and commenting, it's always great to hear from the "Ultimate Jigmeister"!
    The Acorn, yes, it was a bit of a teaser! I recall when I was 10 years of age or so reading Paul Brickhill's "Reach for the Sky" As I'm sure you'll agree those were gentler and more "gentlemanly" times thus four letter words were rarely seen in print. He stated several times that Bader, in a stressful situation, uttered "one short unprintable word". I loved the phrase and when I discovered on the first attempt that when tightened up the Acorn pointed backwards I did the same, only uttered it numerous times! It's one of those "measure twice, cut once " stories. If you connect the bottom wires to the top of the cabanes etc. and then firm up the wires you'll find of course that the thing will rotate and there you are! Thankfully only the uppers were glued and had to be replaced...... :-\
   My "Fun Meter" is now back in the green zone again.
Cheers,
Lance

If I may add a few words on the acorn. I did my two in the following way:

1. Drill two inter-crossed holes through the acorn and then pass two inter-crossing sections of monofilament securing them with CA glue
2. Mount eyelets at the top wing, drill the holes at the lower ends of fron cabanes.
3. Tie the acorn with two lines to the upper wing eyelets using tube sections before mounting the wing. This is probably the trickiest part, you need to measure two identiacal lengths of the lines (about 24mm each) to have the acorn those 7mm below the upper wing lower surface and exactly at the centre. Securing the measured line lengths with the tube sections before glue is applied is vital here. Tweezers, ruler, tweezers, ruler, etc. untill satisfied :-)
4. Finally after the upper wing assembly tie two lower lines from the acorns - these can be done easily one after another, one tied does not deform the location of the acorn under the wing.

And BTW, great modelling, Lance!
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #168 on: December 06, 2017, 09:25:24 AM »
Thank you Prze and for the description as well. I used Modelkasten line so briefly once the upper two connections are made with the acorn centered and flush to the upper wing and glued the bottom two can be stretched to:
a.) pull the Acorn down to the 7mm mark; and
b.)  center the acorn.

Two Members and close friends here came up with this method between their efforts, Mark (MGunns) and Chris Johnson working on a Hobbycraft Camel and a Wingnut Wings one respectively. The first (rear facing) device was entirely my error; now that it's behind me I can laugh at how careless I was. If the fun goes out of the Hobby it's time to start another Hobby, and I'm not going to do that any time soon!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #169 on: December 07, 2017, 01:06:06 AM »
Awesome rigging as always Lance! Although it may have been a trying experience you certainly nailed the bullet fairing in the end!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #170 on: December 07, 2017, 01:56:50 AM »
Thanks Rick, as usual it seems much easier when looking back................. :P
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Borsos

« Reply #171 on: December 08, 2017, 03:12:01 AM »
Awesome build, Lance, I cannot wait to see it finished. And I totally agree with your opinion regarding the plastic rigging loops on the WNW struts. That looks much too tiny for plastic.
Best regards
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #172 on: December 08, 2017, 07:36:04 AM »
Thanks Borsos, the little plastic eyelets are definitely too small for plastic moldings. The control horns appear "touchy" as well but I haven't rigged those yet. More to follow........ ???
Cheers,
Lance

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #173 on: December 12, 2017, 01:43:18 AM »
   I am calling this project completed, having finished the final construction and touch ups yesterday. My thoughts on this Kit echo MGunns as he stated them a few days back on completing his USAS Version. His recommendations in point form echo mine; it's a great little kit however the experience can be improved by changing a few components, particularly the replacement of very delicate plastic rigging connectors with metal loops. In retrospect I believe that EZ Line would eliminate the problems as well however I don't like the flat profile of the product and therefore elected to exclude it from the options.
   The remaining rigging was added with the completion of the empennage components; I used Modelkasten 0.6 (1:48) elastic line for this step as well as the aileron control lines. The elevator and rudder control horn rear support lines are a very fine mono, probably around 0.07 diameter.

...... and the aileron control lines done with Modelkasten as well:

Next came the Rotherham Air Driven Fuel Pump. While checking photos to confirm it's placement on the cabane strut I noticed that the air pressure line was not included on the kit version. I added the line using fine electrical wire from my "Scratch Bin" and a support strap from Bare Metal Foil.

The last piece to be installed was the prop, the Kit version with it's spinner. With the very small area of wood not covered by paint I deemed it not worth the effort to do a hand carved version.

I have to add that the Machro Setting on this little camera is a very humbling feature, things look pretty rough that close up!

And here's two very quick work bench shots of the completed model. I plan to get some better photos of her later today for the Completed Models posting.

Hope you like it!
Cheers,
Lance

« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 01:47:23 AM by lcarroll »

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #174 on: December 12, 2017, 01:53:22 AM »
Like it? Damn, I Love it! Outstanding results as always Lance! Gorgeous!!!!!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #175 on: December 12, 2017, 01:59:56 AM »
Wow Lance, I wish I had one !!!!
I'll write to Santa immediately when at home!

(I don't mean a kit box, I mean that built model!!!!)

:-D

Antonio

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #176 on: December 12, 2017, 02:16:37 AM »
Amazing work Lance, congratulations on this mini-masterpiece.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #177 on: December 12, 2017, 02:52:29 AM »
Many thanks for your very humbling remarks, Guys! Feedback such as this is very much appreciated and adds to the confidence enormously! :) :)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #178 on: December 12, 2017, 03:54:51 AM »
I wish my camera close up attachment was as kind as yours Lance: mine shows up far greater errors and blunders! Please can I borrow yours when I take photos of my models?

Super build and equally super log - am looking forward to seeing more in the completed models section.

Stephen.

Offline Borsos

« Reply #179 on: December 12, 2017, 04:29:33 AM »
Wow. I really love it. That's a real beauty!
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.