Author Topic: Pfalz D-III 1/33 Scale From Models by Marek (Matt77 Repaint)  (Read 7581 times)

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
Re: Pfalz D-III 1/33 Scale From Models by Marek (Matt77 Repaint)
« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2020, 10:03:09 AM »
Oh ...I'm sure it will pass the stamp of approval  ;)

Your doing a super job and like Rick said , Outstanding Dan and the struts turned out very well , are they just all paer with the wire pins ? Or did you add a balsa core ?

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2020, 03:14:20 PM »
Thanks so much, Rick and Terri!  :)

Yes, Terri...they have balsa cores and I just slipped thin wire into the ends with some super glue.  Works really well and they are stout and a "click" fit.

I just added the cabanes!  I do think the top wing is a tad too high.  This is the second Marek WWI design I've made that ended up like this...not sure what that means.  Of course, I did modify the interplanes with my piano wire extensions and if I'd have just built it as is, I think they would have been perfect.  In any event, it still looks really nice and I don't think it will look bad with everything connected.  Besides, the cabanes look spot on in terms of length and where they attached in the strut holes so I'm good with that!

Next...on to the rigging.  Stay tuned...

Dan

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #47 on: June 04, 2020, 04:24:37 PM »
Beautiful bird, I'm amazed by how realistic paper models can be. I came late into your build but I'mreally longing to see this completed.
Ciao
Giuseppe

« Reply #48 on: June 05, 2020, 04:15:21 AM »
Thanks, Giuseppe!  It's all due to your country-man Marco of Matt77 fame.  He does amazing repaints with his computer and they look incredibly realistic.

This one is really coming along.  Maybe some rigging or landing gear soon!

Thanks for your comments....Dan :D

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #49 on: June 05, 2020, 07:04:19 AM »
Looks Great Dan! You are almost there!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #50 on: June 05, 2020, 10:42:48 AM »
The juice's are flowing now !  :o

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

« Reply #51 on: June 05, 2020, 03:08:30 PM »
Thanks Terri and Rick!

Got the landing gear and spreader bar on!  Tomorrow...we rig for real...Dan  :D

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #52 on: June 05, 2020, 07:51:43 PM »
Dan, this Pfalz looks pfantastic!  So, compund curves proved no match fir your skills. ;D 

Two questions (in my learning mode): 1.  How will you do the wheels, balsa turned on your Dremel "lathe," or some other method?  2.  If you wanted to get a glossier finish, how would you achieve that?  I've got a natural wood fuselage to think about on the upcoming Berg.  Thanks, and very well done!

Best,

Bob

« Reply #53 on: June 07, 2020, 03:52:16 PM »
Hi and Thanks, Bob!
Funny you should ask...I tried something new this time and though I think I need to tweak it (my wheels are marginally too big in diameter) things worked out well.  I went to the local hardware store and bought several o-rings, roughed them up with sandpaper, hit them with grey primer which (to me!) approximates a good rubber color.  I then made the hubs from two cross-grained 1/32nd sheet and glued the o-rings around the hubs.  You can see things as they stand now.

I do think the wheels are too big.  I also think that the spreader bar is not long enough so my Pfalz sits a tad high.  I'm going to redo these parts, but you get the picture here.

I also got the prop blades on the spinner and it's amazing how much more finished she looks now. 

Still more to go but the finish line is in sight!

Cheers,
Dan

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #54 on: June 07, 2020, 10:16:51 PM »
A truly beautiful representation of a Beautiful Aircraft! The prop blades look amazing and the whole thing really looks Terrific!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #55 on: June 07, 2020, 11:55:37 PM »
All looks good Dan!  I think the O-rings might be a great option if you can find the right size.  I really like the looks of the spinner and prop.  How did you do them?  Thanks.

Best,

Bob

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #56 on: June 08, 2020, 09:03:43 AM »
Thanks, Giuseppe!  It's all due to your country-man Marco of Matt77 fame.  He does amazing repaints with his computer and they look incredibly realistic.

This one is really coming along.  Maybe some rigging or landing gear soon!

Thanks for your comments....Dan :D

I'm going to have a look at his works.

Very interesting wheels, they look good. I know gray O-rings are produced, but was unable to get any till now, they should be easyer to handle as probably need not to be painted.
Ciao
Giuseppe

« Reply #57 on: June 08, 2020, 02:58:41 PM »
Thanks, Folks...It's really getting close now.  I did some fixes tonight and added the exhaust stacks. 

Fixes:  the landing gear just looked way too spindly.  I figured it was the mother of all ground loops just waiting to happen.  So I did some measuring and it turns out that my spreader bar was indeed too narrow as supplied.  So I just made a new one.  You can see it and my calculations based on a 1/72nd scale drawing.  I do think it looks marginally better.  Now I need to fix my large wheels and the landing gear will be in good shape.  ;)

The exhaust is just some paper and balsa sanded into the correct shape.  Looks cool with that alto sax up front.  A few more details and then rigging.

And Bob!  I really did a lousy job showing the spinner being made on my latest video and it would be important to show folks how to get the petal cut-outs to work so I'm going to make a new one and show how I did it soon.  The blades are just as per the instructions.  Cut out and glued carefully and shaped into an airfoil.  I didn't use the wire called for inside the blades and found it easier to just butt glue them to the spinner with a little trimming and niggling.  Worked out ok in the end.  No magic this time through!  ;D

More soon,
Dan

« Reply #58 on: June 09, 2020, 06:16:49 AM »
Got the new and improved wheels made.  They are slightly smaller and look better.  Now that the spreader bar is longer, that helps too.
More soon!
Dan

Offline Radarman

« Reply #59 on: June 09, 2020, 07:07:22 AM »
Hi Dan,
It looks great up on it’s feet. Soon time for rigging.

Keep up the impressive paper work,
                                                                Kevin
We are all victims of history!