Author Topic: Special Hobby Nieuport 11 - Jean Navarre  (Read 5895 times)

Offline rayb24

Re: Special Hobby Nieuport 11 - Jean Navarre
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2018, 03:57:16 AM »
Finally have my workspace back after Christmas. We had guests so my space was used for their bedroom lol, had to pack all of my toys away especially as they had a toddler.

I started making rigging eyelets to go into where the cabanes attach to the fuselage. I might have made them too small, first time I've tried. I found a very closeup view of the fuselage in front of the cockpit that should be of use.

Rigging eyelets (not sure if that's really what they are called)

Tail-plane is now attached and I'll be priming and painting the first linen coats on the fuselage this week.

The seat fell out when I was masking the fuselage, but then I didnt like what I did to the seat, so this is try # 3... Still don't like it

When I was getting my area set up again, i found one of my only remaining models from when I was last building wwi probably 18 -20 years ago
It doesn't look so bad I think. (ICM 1/72 FokkerEIV)  Somehow I noticed the cables that connect to the rudder have gone awol since I built it. I would fix it, but lol eyeballs don't see that small anymore lol

I'll post more later in the week once the fuselage priming is done. I do have a question in the first period image of the fuselage there is a ring between the cabanes, whats its use? common connecting for wires between the cabanes?

Ray

Offline rayb24

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2018, 02:33:02 AM »
Well as they say two steps forward and one step back.... 

Before any priming I decided to slot in the Cabanes on the fuselage. This is a little bit of a trick on the Special Hobby model as there are no holes or location indents to do this.  Really this is the hardest (more stressful really) part of what is seeming a very simple and easy model.
On the fuselage Special Hobby would have you flush mount the Cabanes. Which for many reasons just will not work, you could I guess sand the underside of the cabanes to the correct angle and pin them, but I don't think it would be very a very strong join and bound to come apart at the worst time - during rigging as an example.  Therefore time to cut into plastic, in doing this I managed to knock the lower wings out of kilter and then well just pulled them off until I was done with carving...   One mistake down lol.... 
I hate carving into perfectly good fuselage, I always expect to slip and make a heck of a mess. I did mark and mask around where I was going to carve into the fuselage though, which really helps. This is one of those times you get the dividers out and measure many times before cutting, or at least I do.
In the last pictures the lower wings are back on and I have some clean up to do sigh, also I'll fair in the slot on the side of the fuselage for the rear cabane and restore the metal mounting detail that I destroyed in carving, second mistake carved to far.... DOH

Of course I couldn't resist fitting the upper wing (actually a really good idea just to make sure of alignment, and looking up into the upper wing I'll deepen the locating pin holes in the wing so its sits flush when permanently mounted.

I'll  have to do all of this again for the aileron pushrods as there are no holes or locations for those either ;)   but they will be easier (cursed myself now) as they are just rods and can be easily drilled.  Priming next....

Offline mgunns

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2018, 01:24:04 PM »
It's coming along nicely and will reward you with a truly unique and interesting model when finished.  I am looking forward to further updates.
Mark

We few, we happy few.....