Author Topic: WNW Pup Night Trainer/Stars & Moon  (Read 7728 times)

Offline mgunns

Re: WNW Pup Night Trainer/Stars & Moon
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2012, 04:33:29 AM »
I like this scheme Bob:  How tedious was it to put the stars on the fuselage?  I am debating on whether or not I want to do this scheme or move on to an operational scheme.  I do like the schemes on this sheet though.  Yours is coming along quite nicely.

Best

Mark
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2012, 04:52:39 AM »
Thanks Mark.  This was my experience with applying the stars:

As for application to the model, the Pheon stars are indeed individual decals.  The color plan provided by Pheon is very helpful, although there is no guide for most of the bottom wing (except the portion not covered by the top wing) or the right side of the fuselage, which you are left to interpret, I suspect because the photos of the real thing do not show those surfaces.  Interestingly, the portion of the bottom wings shown in the color plan seem to suggest a greater density of stars on the lower wings than on the upper wing.  0:)

Although it seems like a big job, I found application of the individual stars to be quite relaxing and fun, as the surface came to life.  The secret was to not try to do too much at a single sitting.  I did the top wing in two sessions, then two more sessions for the bottom, and two sessions for the fuselage, with another for the tail surfaces.  These were probably 15-20 minute sessions, tops.  I would cut out about 4-6 stars in a strip, soak per instructions, and set with a small brush in a little MicroSol.  Once positioned where I wanted them, I then hit them with a warm hairdryer to snuggle them down.  Then back to the bench for another 4-6 stars, and repeat until I had whatever section I was working on finished.  A little tedious at times, but very rewarding!

Not too tedious at all.  They go on quite easily, since they are small and essentially round.  If you like the scheme, have a go!

Regards,

Bob

Offline mgunns

« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2012, 05:12:30 AM »
Thanks Bob:  I will be watching to see how you do do the lights and flares.  I have the WNW BF2C kit and those things are in that kit.

Best

Mark
Mark

Offline Flip Hendrickx

« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2012, 04:28:03 AM »
Great paint scheme and a neat build. Looking fwd to the final result!

Grtz

Flip

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2012, 02:13:38 PM »
Time for another update.  Getting closer to done.  The rigging is nearly complete and the lights are installed, but I still need to do some weathering and add the holt flares on the bottom of the lower wingtips, as well as the landing gear.  Here are some photos:

The wingtip lights:

The fuselage light:

Front view:

Rear view:

Cheers, and Merry Christmas, until next time!

Bob

Offline Whiteknuckles

« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2012, 02:23:24 PM »
Awesome Bob, it's such a great scheme ;)

Andrew
Eternal Apprentice

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2012, 02:32:43 PM »
She's stunning, Bob!  (Actually, I was going to use "Awesome", but Andrew beat me to it.)  This is the prettiest Pup I've seen yet.  You did a brilliant job on the rigging, too.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2012, 03:43:03 PM »
Thanks guys! 

You're too kind Bud.  I've drooled over your pair of Aeroclub Pups, and hope to match the level of those beauties! ;)  Thanks for your support.  :)

Regards,

Bob

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #38 on: December 25, 2012, 12:08:57 AM »
Very well done and an inspiration!

Steve

Offline mgunns

« Reply #39 on: December 25, 2012, 01:25:29 AM »
Hello and Merry Christmas Bob:

The more I see of this scheme the more it beckons.  I just may have to do this.  It would make a nice companion to my Candy Stripe Pup.  I will be watching how you do the rest of the lights and the flares.

Best

Mark
Mark

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #40 on: December 25, 2012, 01:47:04 AM »
Beautiful! what an interesting, Lovely, and unusual scheme!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #41 on: December 27, 2012, 06:00:02 AM »
Thanks guys for all of your kind comments.  I expect to have the landing gear rigged and wheels and Holt flares installed tonight, sooooo . . . maybe final pics tomorrow or Friday. :)  Then, back to the Lloyd!

Regards,

Bob

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2012, 03:39:00 AM »
Well, she's done! Here are a couple of photos.  I'll post more over in Completed Models.

As many of you already know, this is an excellent kit and fun to build.  I can honestly say I encountered no real problems, other than a few minor self-inflicted missteps.  If you have not built the kit yet, make sure you read Des's build log first.  It is very helpful and guided me through the bottom wing fit issue with no problem (i.e., making sure the parts are paint-free and sanded so the cockpit assembly does not interfere with the wing attachment to the fuselage.  I followed Des's advice and avoided any problem. 

This is a great kit and I plan to build more Pups.  Pheon's trainer/pets sheet is a wonderful supplement to the WNW kit.  I highly recommend both!  Now . . . back to that Lloyd!

Regards,

Bob

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2012, 06:55:48 AM »
Congratulations on the completion of a truly spectacular Pup, Bob.  I think it's so cool that you built this for your daughter and thank her for providing us with such excellent entertainment.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2012, 09:15:41 AM »
She's a beaut!! Well done!!

Steve