Author Topic: Authentic color Drooling Bulldog  (Read 41214 times)

Offline drdave

Re: Authentic color Drooling Bulldog
« Reply #60 on: February 15, 2015, 07:13:51 PM »
Calling it  DB's has a far more positive crude connotation here in the UK. "That model is the DB's " for example. Mutts nuts.

Offline Pgtaylorart

« Reply #61 on: February 15, 2015, 08:00:37 PM »
Honestly, regardless of the name and the connotation, if the paint is good and adds to our hobby in a positive way, I'll be interested I trying it out.

One thing you can say for the name, it is memorable!

George

Offline ondra

« Reply #62 on: February 15, 2015, 08:12:49 PM »
Ok, guys, to summ up the discussion on the name.  ;D

"A rose by any other name would smell as sweet"

Many thanks to all of you for letting me recognize that I still have a lot to learn about english - I did not ring any bells hearing the name for the first time. I speak english every day at work but still there are nuances you do not notice unless you are a native speaker.  ;) I am not part of the Drooling Bulldog project, my role is purely supportive in cases of necessity, but I should have made a deeper research on the name and possible connotations. Should have anyone felt confused or disgusted, my deepest apologies. I should have recognized the possible risk and warned my friends Hellboy and Sergey.

Cheers

Ondra

Offline von Mertens

« Reply #63 on: February 15, 2015, 09:25:50 PM »
Dear sirs! I want to explain emergence of the name, it is a pity to me that it causes negative associations in many, but I didn't want anybody to offend. The idea of a logo arose thanks to the Fokker DVII that Otto Meyer plane. Still nobody can tell with confidence if the represented dog, is a bulldog. This breed of dog not typical for Germany, there are assumptions that it is the boxer... but it only assumptions. Anyway this plane was called a drooling bulldog or slobbers boxer. My best friend, is a bulldog and he always slobbers when something wants to get. I do too most when I see fine model of the plane. I think that really matters, this quality of paint. As for the name, this bright phrase which remains in memory. It is impossible to be absolutely correct for all ethnic groups. You know that the name of the wizard  Gandalf, in the Hungarian language means? On the Hungarian slang it means a penis. Poor wizard...

Offline von Mertens

« Reply #64 on: February 15, 2015, 09:49:52 PM »
I don't want to seem haughtiness, but I think that the word "authentic", is used correctly. I don't want to offend manufacturers of paints, but nevertheless I am the first researcher who proved to define pigments which were used at that time. All the same, each modeller, is guided by the intuition and therefore our hobby leaves to everyone, an infinite scope about the imagination... ::)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 10:10:35 PM by von Mertens »

WarrenD

« Reply #65 on: February 15, 2015, 11:27:31 PM »
Actually, I was painting my kits with Pactra "Authentic" colors in the 60's and 70's, so I guess mine were right and everyone else's were wrong?  ??? Awesome!  ;) 8) ::)

Von Mertens, your translator has failed you again I'm afraid my friend, but you are NOT the first researcher to "define pigments which were used during WWI". There was a group of researchers (Alan Toelle, H. D. Hastings, B. F. Hardesty, and H. L. Edman) that published Project Butterfly back in 1972 in Cross & Cockade magazine, and their research defined the pigments, colors, and methods used on French five-color camouflage. I also believe that extensive research has been previously done on Manfred von Richtofen's Dr.I 425/17,  as well as pigments/paints used on the Fokker D.VIII/E.V, and some others. Now, you might be the first person to do research on pigments and produce a paint aimed at scale modelers, but you're not the first person to research pigments of the period.

A pity about Gandalf . . . poor fellow, bet if he walked into a bar in Hungary, the patrons would all laugh.  :D

Warren

Offline von Mertens

« Reply #66 on: February 15, 2015, 11:55:24 PM »
It is very unpleasant to me that I am compelled to discuss with you through the translator and I hope that you excuse me... Naturally I am informed on researches in this area and I respect hard work of my colleagues. I will tell more, my work wouldn't be possible, without exact chemical analysis of the remained samples. Pay attention that my statement for authenticity of pigments, belongs only to the German aircraft.
I am sorry if it sounded is boastful... :-[ but I am really sure that now the palette of the German paints is fully completed...

Offline the great waldo

« Reply #67 on: February 16, 2015, 01:10:56 AM »
Dear sirs! I want to explain emergence of the name, it is a pity to me that it causes negative associations in many, but I didn't want anybody to offend. The idea of a logo arose thanks to the Fokker DVII that Otto Meyer plane. Still nobody can tell with confidence if the represented dog, is a bulldog. This breed of dog not typical for Germany, there are assumptions that it is the boxer... but it only assumptions. Anyway this plane was called a drooling bulldog or slobbers boxer. My best friend, is a bulldog and he always slobbers when something wants to get. I do too most when I see fine model of the plane. I think that really matters, this quality of paint. As for the name, this bright phrase which remains in memory. It is impossible to be absolutely correct for all ethnic groups. You know that the name of the wizard  Gandalf, in the Hungarian language means? On the Hungarian slang it means a penis. Poor wizard...

Hi Von Mertens

I would say that the dog is not a Boxer as they have their tails cut off at an early age (at least until recently) and also from what I have googled bulldogs also have clipped tails. It was probably a pet mongrel. It is interesting to see see that your'e colours are to be cellulose based. This is probably going to cause you some problems with shipping the paints by air freight as it's highly inflammable.

Cheers

Andrew

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #68 on: February 16, 2015, 12:31:58 PM »
It is very unpleasant to me that I am compelled to discuss with you through the translator and I hope that you excuse me... Naturally I am informed on researches in this area and I respect hard work of my colleagues. I will tell more, my work wouldn't be possible, without exact chemical analysis of the remained samples. Pay attention that my statement for authenticity of pigments, belongs only to the German aircraft.
I am sorry if it sounded is boastful... :-[ but I am really sure that now the palette of the German paints is fully completed...
I'm very sorry that you've had to struggle with the translator to explain your work.  I, for one, am very excited about your new line of paints and sincerely hope that I will be able to buy them here in the US.  Best of luck to you, sir.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

WarrenD

« Reply #69 on: February 16, 2015, 12:59:24 PM »
I'm really excited about them too von Mertens, I just wish there was a way I could become a dealer for you.

Warren

Offline GrahamB

« Reply #70 on: February 16, 2015, 03:27:09 PM »
I didn't realize that my little 'riposte' to Warren was going to cause such a fuss and it was not said in all seriousness. Still, I agree with Rowan that if we are going to try and make our models look realistic - and God knows that WNW (among others) are doing their best for us in that direction, that we also do the same for the colours - but it is a free world and one can do as Bo has done - if you want.

I am not a colour 'Nazi' - just interested in what evidence there is and making links. In my posts on the Aerodrome site looking at published Methuen matches (and a few here but I don't think people are really interested) there was never any suggestion that any colour matches were the 'right' or correct one - only that "here is what has been recorded from fabric, paintings etc, or extrapolated from colour names (e.g. the "bilious"/"emerald green" for a couple Jasta 30 Albatros can be directly related to chromium oxide or hydrated chromium oxide pigments)" - they are starting points or a guide.

I for one will certainly keep a lookout for the Drooling Bulldog (actually boxer) paints when they appear.

Cheers to all!

GrahamB

Offline von Mertens

« Reply #71 on: February 16, 2015, 06:37:10 PM »
I thank you for interest in my work! Soon we are going to publish article in which all aspects of this research will be shown. Paints can already be bought in Europe. Now we look for possibility of distribution to the USA... very much I hope that we will manage it. For the European customers orders are accepted on E-mail: [email protected]. Once again I thank for support!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 04:53:14 AM by von Mertens »

Offline the great waldo

« Reply #72 on: February 16, 2015, 11:43:40 PM »
I thank you for interest in my work! Soon we are going to publish article in which all aspects of this research will be shown. Paints can already be bought in Europe. Now we look for possibility of distribution to the USA... very much I hope that we will manage it. For the European customers orders are accepted on E-mail: [email protected]. Once again I thank for support!

Hi Martens

I tried your email link to get a price list from you but the email was returned. Maybe you can list prices on the forum or at least check the link.

Cheers
Andrew

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #73 on: February 17, 2015, 12:13:38 AM »
In my posts on the Aerodrome site looking at published Methuen matches (and a few here but I don't think people are really interested)

That's too bad you got that impression ...  :(

Offline von Mertens

« Reply #74 on: February 17, 2015, 03:50:26 AM »

Hi Martens

I tried your email link to get a price list from you but the email was returned. Maybe you can list prices on the forum or at least check the link.

Cheers
Andrew

accept my apologies... typographical error...
correct address of e-mail: [email protected]
the site in the Czech language: http://www.droolingbulldog.com/