Author Topic: Fokker DVII Franz Buchner  (Read 13103 times)

Offline jknaus

Fokker DVII Franz Buchner
« on: May 17, 2014, 05:34:56 AM »
Well rigging is not working for me at the moment and I have some other issues to figure out on the Snipe,  so a small pause and change of pace. I'll do another Fokker DVII OAW in the livery of Franz Buchner from Jasta 13.

From Wikipedia:
In March 1917 Büchner became a fighter pilot, joining the Prussian Jagdstaffel 9 where he scored his first and only victory with them, on 17 August.[1] Upon his transfer to Jagdstaffel 13, he found his niche under Rudolph Berthold, one of Germany's most dedicated soldiers. However, it was several months before he scored again, on 15 October.

With the introduction of the Fokker D.VII in 1918, Büchner came into his own; he flew at least three different machines during his career, scoring three victories in June and becoming Commanding Officer of the Jasta on 15 June.[3] It was after his fifth victory that he landed and announced to his squadron colleagues that he had now learned how to win in aerial combat. It was a prescient statement.[4]
On 2 July, he shot down and killed "The Mad Major", Irish 5-victory ace Major Joseph Callaghan, CO of No. 87 Squadron, who was flying a Sopwith Dolphin in a solo attack on Jasta 13.[5] Five days later, he followed up with Canadian ace Lieutenant Merrill Taylor (7 victories), killed in a Sopwith Camel of No. 209 Squadron.[2]
On 29 July 1918 Büchner shot an American Sopwith Camel down in flames with just 14 rounds. His wingman, Leutnant Werner Niethammer, cited this combat as an illustration of Büchner's skill as a marksman; according to Niethammer's account, Büchner had no sooner spotted the American than he had set the enemy aircraft on fire.[6] This would be the last of his seven victories in July.[2]
On 10 August, Büchner's career nearly ended. While attacking and shooting down a two seater in bad flying weather, his plane's fuel tank was hit. Drenched in gasoline, he landed in no man's land and tagged along with two retreating German machine gunners.[7] The incident does not seem to have slowed him down. It was the second of his eight victories in August.[2]
In September Büchner scored 17 victories, the top scoring German fighter pilot for the month. [8] On 10 October, Büchner survived a mid-air collision with fellow Jasta pilot Michaelis; both of them parachuted to safety.[9]
He brought his tally to 40 victories by 22 October 1918.[2] Three days later he was awarded the Pour le Mérite on 25 October 1918, one of the last awards before the Kaiser's abdication.[2]

I really like the paint scheme and he sounds interesting. Also there is next to no rigging.
I have RB seat belts, Master guns, and some Taurus bits and bobs. Just need to order my Aviattic decals. Did some painting today before work so will have pics tonight or tomorrow morning.
James

Offline mgunns

Re: Fokker DVII Franz Buchner
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2014, 05:38:26 AM »
Hello James:

I always wanted to do this.  I have seen it done in the Revell 1/28th scheme, so I will be watching with interest as you progress through this build.  I am still plugging away on the Snipe.

Best

Mark
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2014, 07:06:42 AM »
James, I am also looking forward to seeing this build and scheme unfold! As you said, very little rigging, but be CAREFUL assembling the interior and framework as that is the key to a well fitting kit!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline jknaus

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2014, 07:38:34 AM »
Thanks. This will be my 4th Fokker DVII. 1'm drawn to the color scheme. Think I'll have to get a few more though as there are more and more schemes I am falling for.
James

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2014, 08:18:47 AM »
The Buchner Fokker will be an attractive model, James. Good choice.
Something to look forward to.

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2014, 08:58:56 AM »
That's a great scheme and Buchner is an interesting character.  I'm looking forward to the build.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2014, 02:08:23 PM »
i am doing the same scheme on my wnw oaw build, cept mine is 3/4 finished

Offline jknaus

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2014, 11:01:15 PM »
Okay started. I painted a lot of parts earlier this week, but there isnt much to see. Started the building/detailing this morning. I started with using Gaspatch turnbuckles in the cockpit. This time I used 1/48 instead of the 1/32 of my last few builds. Looks more in scale I think.

They are tiny though and I lost 1 already. This is going to take a few sittings.

Used Aviattica's awesome decals for the interior lozenges. Really like how they look. Much more realistic than the kit decals. This time I used a white background and I dont think it is too bad looking. Anyone building a lozenge covered a/c should really look into get them.

A dullcoat should really help I think.

And painted the fuel/oil tank. I used Vallejo Air Bright Brass. Later today start weathering it.

Thats it so far. More to follow.
James

Offline radio

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2014, 02:00:54 AM »
Very good impersiones James.
Martin

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2014, 10:56:10 AM »
I certainly agree with you reference the Aviattic Lozenge, Interior and Exterior! Your bracing wires and Fuel Tank look great!
RAGIII

Offline jknaus

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2014, 11:33:56 AM »
Thanks guys.
Okay today wasnt as productive as I had hoped. I finished rigging the side frames and my arm went numb and hand swelled up. Darned neck. I pushed on and used some of those nice Aviattic decals and did the frame behind the pilots seat. Picture didnt turn out though. Then had a nice dinner and some Birthday cake and thus fortified did the wood work. Tomorrow it should be ready for me to pick out the details and then decal it.
Evidently picture taking is still a weakness, but here you are. I will try and take better ones tomorrow if I'm feeling better.

Thoughts, comments, and critiques welcome.

James

Offline radio

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2014, 09:55:38 PM »
Nice wood colour James.
Martin

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2014, 11:05:13 AM »
Great work so far, Like Martin I Love the wood grain on the floor and panel!
RAGIII

Offline jknaus

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2014, 01:11:56 PM »
Thanks guys. Small update. I'll have to source a new switch decals from one of my Albies as the last decal flipped in half and refused to undo. Just did a pin wash so it might look a little bright. I think the wood came out okay. Made a clear yellow with a touch of clear red mix up and sprayed it on this morning to look like varnish. I hope you like it. Start getting the cockpit together tomorrow I think.

James

Offline Mark

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2014, 01:59:39 PM »
Nice job, James. I particularly like the warm wood tones.

Mark G.