Author Topic: 1:32 Matchbox SS100 Jaguar  (Read 3588 times)

Offline IanB

1:32 Matchbox SS100 Jaguar
« on: January 01, 2024, 10:02:56 PM »
Happy New Year everyone!

I had a nostalgia trip just prior to Christmas and splashed out on some Airfix Napoleonic figures, and 3 Matchbox kits I had built as a teenager. I enjoyed building them then, and wanted to see what could be done to improve them so the Bugatti 59, Aston Martin Ulster, and SS100 Jaguar joined my already too large stash!

I built the Mercedes SSKL from the same range a couple of years ago, and this will follow a similar vein. I had thought initially that not too much would be required, but as usual, the more I looked into it, the more I felt needed modifying!

So this is what I have!

I'm sure most here will be familiar with the standard Matchbox fare of 2 different colour sprues, plus a "chrome" one, which will be stripped and painted.

The plan at the moment will include (at least) the following 3d printed parts:
Wheel rims/hubs (spoked as per the Merc with monofilament fishing line), engine sump and gearbox, folded hood, headlights, sidelights, and taillights, radiator cap, seats, and steering wheel.
I'll probably scratch build new exhausts too.
There may be more.....

The plastic is quite soft and is not easy to sand smoothly, but a start has been made on getting sub-assemblies together.

First the engine.
This is what we are given

The bonnet will be closed so I'm not worried about accuracy or detail for the top end, but the sump and gearbox are visible from the side. First job was to strip the "chrome". Easy enough, an hour or so in bleach did the job nicely.

This is what it's supposed to look like...

and this is what we get

Hence the comment above that the sump and gearbox will be printed!

The sump has been cut off, and a new gearbox mounting plate made from .5mm sheet. The engine sits too high if built out of the box. The sump should be visible from the side, and should also extend below the gearbox mounting plate, so that has been corrected. The engine mounts on the chassis were also modified to remove the tree trunk look!

The chassis frame has also been cleaned up - there are a lot of mould joint lines on this kit, so those were removed and the ejector pins likewise.

The bodywork appears quite good, but I have sanded off the moulded sidelights on the top of the front wings. They will be printed later. The scuttle has been added and work started on fitting the doors. Unfortunately, the door mouldings are slightly rounded which doesn't give a nice sharp edge, so they were sanded flat (and straight!) and they are a work in progress at the moment. Plastic strip has been added as needed to give a sharp edge and restore the lost plastic.

I taped the body to pull it tight against the mounts for the scuttle as it was drying.

Other parts looked at so far:
The tonneau cover - useless!

I have no idea why it has a wavy lower edge, but I will print a new one without the top cover. Only the hood frame cover will be on it, leaving the rear seating/baggage area exposed.

Radiator - seen in previous pics. I removed the front grille, then thinned the frame to allow a piece of wire mesh to be inserted.  Thinning was done fairly easily with my new toy, a rechargeable drill (recharged using a phone style charging cable) which rotates at only around 400rpm. I also bought some routinh bits for it and it worked well!

The fine tuning was done by paring with a scalpel blade. and the mesh was fitted.

A little off centre with the starter handle hole but I think it's close enough. The kit radiator will be fitted behind it, and the front side of that has already been covered with .5mm sheet. I'll drill a small hole for the starter crank access and once it's all painted black it should pass muster.

That's as far as I've got so far, and this will be taking second seat to my De Havilland pair over on the aircraft forum, but it's a fun build so I don't expect it to be sitting idle for too long!

Thanks for looking in!

Ian

Offline Davos522

Re: 1:32 Matchbox SS100 Jaguar
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2024, 02:14:51 AM »
As we say in landscape painting, great start! I used to work in a restoration shop, so I'll watch this one with interest. And I love my rechargable mini tool, I got the one Sandy recommended in the drill-bit thread a few months ago and it's become one of my go-to tools.

Dutch

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2024, 05:26:03 AM »
I've only built two cars* and I have immense admiration for those who can nail the paint finish which "makes" a car model - the big thing that puts me off buying any Formula One kits - and I love the extra effort you're going to in the name of accuracy with correcting and adding detail. Great start Ian, I'm excited to follow along!

*two Airfix Aston Martins, albeit one was hacked into a Transformers robot!
Zac in NZ

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2024, 03:37:48 AM »
You are really doing some incredible work on this one. Should be outstanding when finished!!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline IanB

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2024, 04:56:12 AM »
Thanks Dutch! It's a lot easier than the '72 MGB I restored myself over 20 years ago, but that had much more enjoyable results!
Zac, Rick, welcome! I'm not certain I can get the paint finish right, but we'll see how it goes!

Just a quick update. More work has been done on the door fitment, and I decided I needed to give everything a coat of gloss white to see what else needed doing. Chassis and chrome parts have also been painted gloss black.

Now some highly exiting pics of painted parts!

The doors need some more work but overall, I'm happy with how it's coming on.

Bonnet panels have also been painted, but you don't need to see more white bits!

Thanks for looking in!

Ian

Online Tim Mixon

• Main focus is 1/72 WWI
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2024, 09:24:27 AM »
Brilliant progress Ian. That radiator grill is just fabulous!

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2024, 11:29:11 PM »
Great progress, Ian.
Are you planning to upgrade the wheels in any way?

Offline IanB

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2024, 02:36:46 AM »
Great progress, Ian.
Are you planning to upgrade the wheels in any way?

Yes, I will do the same as I did on the Merc SSKL. The rims and hubs will be 3d printed and spoked with monofilament.

Ian

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2024, 03:31:37 AM »

I agree completely!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Davos522

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2024, 09:46:06 AM »
Amazing work, can't wait to see the wheels...

Dutch
(who learned to drive standard on an MGB!)

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2024, 10:26:41 PM »

I agree completely!
RAGIII

Me, too!
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline IanB

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2024, 12:51:22 AM »
Amazing work, can't wait to see the wheels...

Dutch

(who learned to drive standard on an MGB!)

I owned a '72 MGB Roadster for 10 years. Rebuild it with a new bodyshell and took it to France and Germany.
I loved that car! Sold it in 1997 to finance my flight training.

Ian

Offline AngryJazz

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2024, 07:45:46 PM »
Excellent work on this kit, lots of great details  ;)
//Ben

Offline IanB

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2024, 05:56:19 PM »
Thanks for all the feedback folks, great to know this has a following here!
Hmm, nearly 2 weeks without an update. Sorry about that! I have been busy on it and have started the design work on some of the 3d replacement parts. Here's a catch-up of what's been done.

Firstly, adjustments to the bodywork. There was one area that needed quite a bit of fettling - the mudguards/running boards. The shape at both front and back was wrong, and detail underneath was missing. 

This is how it should be, looking back towards the rear wheel. The rivet ends you can see are the fittings for the protective strips on top of the running boards by the doors. Note the join between the main running board and the rear wheel arch, plus the join all along the side of the chassis frame. This runs all along and up into the rear wheel arch but I have no pics of the wheel arch interior itself, so I had to guess at that.

Adjustments started with the addition of plastic strip after having first drastically thinned the whole running board underneath.

and this is what I'm going with. Not perfect, but a whole lot better.

The other major issue here is that the cockpit floor is too high, being level with the bottom of the doors. I'm not going to bother with that!

An even more obvious error is the shape of the mudguards at the rear end

I started with the left side. Still not there yet as it still has a horizontal edge to it inboard...

and the final look

The front end was also slightly off, but nothing as major, just a slight reduction of the curve on the outer part.

Then on to the innards. The part provided is very thick around the back end and actually extends too far forwards, interfering with the doors. I decided to remove the sides and replace them with plastic sheet. Here's the part as supplied.

and after the sides were removed with a razor saw

Obviously having removed such a thick piece of plastic it needed spacers adding. As it turned out, only to one side, but I found that out later...

This kit only needed the spacers on the right side. After adding them to both, it was obvious that the left side sloped inwards drastically when fitted inside the body. If you plan on doing similar, check the fit!

This is part way through, the nearside still needs trimming back properly.

I also added some stock strip to the rear edge to ensure a snug fit against the rear wall of the body and eliminate the gaps there. 

The last (that I've found so far!) of the major body issues is the large gap under the rear end where the fuel tank should be, when viewed from the side. Obviously that needed to be taken care of, so more plastic stock to the rescue.

and finished, with the interior in place.

As I mentioned above, I have no idea whether that is correct or not, but it's a lot better than a big hole! I have sent an email to a Classic Jag restoration garage asking if they have pics, but to be honest I don't expect they have the time to answer, so I'm not holding my breath!

Finally for today, a little progress on the design of replacement parts. I don't use Fusion often enough for it to be stuck in my head properly, so each time is a bit of a relearning curve!

I have done the sump and seat bottoms, work has started on the gearbox too.

That seat drove me nuts! I finally got the curves for the top, but then couldn't thicken it without it extending through the sides. Then O couldn't get the sides to extend and match the curve of the top! I finally got it sorted. The main issue was that I had made the original drawing a rectangle so it kept trying to follow that all the way around. I changed the drawing slightly to get rid of the inner edge and eventually got it to work.  So many ways to do the same thing, and I can't even get one sorted! Anyway, it's done now! I'll do a test print and check for the height, then depending on how visible it is I may reduce the seat thickness and add a more reasonable mounting frame underneath. We'll see....

That's about it for now, thanks for looking in!

Ian

Offline hsmed

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2024, 06:28:25 PM »
Wow - I did this kit almost 50 years ago, when I was a kid. I wasn't paying that much attention to the details back then ;D I will follow this thread and admire the work.