Author Topic: The end of a hobby?  (Read 5334 times)

Offline stefanbuss

The end of a hobby?
« on: March 02, 2017, 03:32:55 PM »
Dear friends,

as some of you know, my beloved wife, Ulrike, is rather ill. She broke her back, sometimes before 2012, suffering terrible pain from then on. In 2012 she received her first set of an artificial spine, which had to be replaced in 2015. Her standard joke is I wouldn't bury her properly but put her into a scrapyard due to the amount of titanium she carries around... She can now walk around using a walking frame on very good days, but on "standard days" she has to use an electric wheel chair.

Anyways, with all that metal around her spine there was much need for care, but not much time for me and my modelling, and it became even less during the last months. I was not very much active on this here forum, despite the fact that I think this to be my virtual home.

The actual diagnosis is that she needs an artificial hip joint (as if she didn't have her fair share of surgeries, already), which means that in the next few years my modelling time will effectively be NIL.

The end of my hobby? Future is bleak, to put it mildly. No chance for any kind of Ulrike's improvement, it seems, as she cannot do without all those artificial parts and all that follows (doctor' appointments, being fully handicapped and so on). I am not overly happy.

As everyone else I have a pile of kits "to be build", but this was already smallish. I took the decision that it would be of no use to keep it. I could hoard those WNW kits (of course), aiming to selling them on ebay during the next years, as so many other people do. But that's not my way.

Instead, if Des doesn't mind, i will be offering them during the next days here. As most kits are still in production (Pfalz D.IIIa, W.12, early Snipe), i won't ask for high prices - my aim instead is to make you, my modelling companions, a bit more happy.

But I will offer the very last kit of the very first duellist set, as well, with some extras included, which might make things interisting for some of you.
Shipment in all cases will be from Germany, with DHL.

Stay tuned.
Stefan

edit: First offer is up here: http://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=8240.0
edit: second offer added here: http://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=8242.0
edit: Duellist kit added here: http://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=8241.0
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 06:19:54 PM by stefanbuss »

Offline Jamo

• Wellington, NZ
    • My Smugmug album
Re: The end of a hobby?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 03:48:08 PM »
Your post is so sad Stefan   :'(

My heart goes out to you and Ulrike for the burden you share. I hope there will be some nice times for you to enjoy together in the future.

Kia Kaha (be strong!)

James
Happy Modelling
James Fahey

Check out my massive photo collection here: https://jamesfahey.smugmug.com/

Offline Edo

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 04:03:34 PM »
yeah, Stefan....
hard times .... I hope all will settle for the best. my thoughts and prayers are with you and your dear wife.
take care
edo

Offline Borsos

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2017, 05:40:21 PM »
This is a really bad prognosis, I am very sorry to hear. I wish both of you all the best and the energy that is needed to go through this. Being younger than you I hope you don't mind if I'd like to tell you one of my thoughts anyway: You can only be a help for your wife when you keep your strenght and remain what you are. And everyone of us is human, so everyone needs his/her break, a time to relax, however short it may be. If you are 24/7 a helper for someone else you won't be that for a long time until you become a nursing case as well. So maybe rethink clearing your shelf?  Even if modelling time is reduced to e. g. one hour a month it might give you back something crucial you need to stay what you are and to be able to help your wife the way she needs it.
Best wishes
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline rhwinter

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2017, 05:50:37 PM »
Stefan, that's all to sad! Alles Gute to Ulrike and you, though! Please stay with us here on the forum.
Richard

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2017, 05:55:42 PM »
I am so saddened to hear your news Stefan, my thoughts and best wishes go out to your wife and to you, you both need the strength to get through this hard time together. Even though you feel your modeling time is over I would still love to see you pop into the forum every now and then just to say hello and to keep us informed on the progress of your wife.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2017, 05:57:42 PM »
I am sorry to read that post of yours, Stefan. I wish you two all the strength necessary to face your problems. And never give up hope.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline Suffolk Lad

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2017, 07:38:46 PM »
Stephan, my heart felt feelings and sincere sympathy for you and your wife's sad situation.

From what you describe your days ahead will not improve but I truly hope they are as bearable as possible for both of you. As Borsos alludes to however do try to find some time, no matter how small, for yourself.

My thoughts are with you.

Kindest regards - Tug

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2017, 08:15:41 PM »
That's sad to hear Stefan,

I wish you both the very best.

Regards

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2017, 08:31:24 PM »
I am sorry to hear what your wife and you are going through.  Our prayers and thoughts go with you both.  Stay strong.

Offline Russell

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2017, 09:06:33 PM »
Stefan,

I can understand your situation & your feelings to interests & hobbies as I juggle a full time job with a role as carer for a parent. Even with extra help coming in during the day to allow me to go out to work I have very little time for modelling or my other interests. Although at the moment I’m very bad at taking my own advice I’ve got to say that for both your wife’s sake & your own, reserve some small part of your life for yourself & your interests – in the long run you’ll discover it’s importance will become even more pronounced.

Regards
Russell   

Offline kornbeef

• U.K. Carpet monster genocide squad leader.
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2017, 09:21:39 PM »
Stefan,

So sad to hear about what life has dealt your good wife Ulrike and yourself. Though nowhere near as challenging I can sympathise, my own wife was diagnosed with early onset Parkinsons disease a few years back and that has caused us many challenges and heartache.

I wish you every strength to stand together and though I seldom post on the forum any more would like to echo Des's wish that you keep popping in.

thoughts with you... Keith
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 10:34:57 PM by kornbeef »
Never too old to learn sumfink noo

Offline 53ryder

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2017, 09:31:59 PM »
Brother-
You're a wonderful husband who has his priorities in the right perspective. Prayers ascending for your wife and you! Blessing on the both of you.

Glenn

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2017, 10:28:03 PM »
Stefan,
 My thoughts are with you both.
So sad to hear this.

Take care.

vB

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2017, 12:39:51 AM »
Stefan,
     It is indeed so sad to hear this; it's difficult to find words. I wish you both strength and our thoughts and prayers will now include you both. I support what Russell has just said, (and Borsos as well) and they said it so well: "reserve some small part of your life for yourself & your interests – in the long run you’ll discover it’s importance will become even more pronounced."
Take care of you both, my Friend.
Lance