Author Topic: Eduards SSW D.III  (Read 22936 times)

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
Re: Eduards SSW D.III
« Reply #45 on: June 15, 2014, 11:18:54 AM »
Thanks Martin , I really appreciate having you drop by and leaving your comments . They are encouraging  :)

Hey Bud , yup I'm pleased with how they turned out . Better than what I have done in the past , but it also helps on have the right tools in the box for this .  Micro files are handy to have . Before I would use just a hobby knife with poor results .

Thanks Rick , it sure does pop when viewed from the top . I need to repair an error on the front combing parts , to far forward and will interfere with the guns .

Thanks for the positive comments guys ! :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #46 on: June 17, 2014, 03:18:11 AM »
Teri,

Very nice, ditto to my two amigos (Bud and Rick ) comments above.

Ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #47 on: June 17, 2014, 09:57:33 PM »
Thanks Ed for dropping by and have a peek  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline mgunns

« Reply #48 on: June 21, 2014, 03:02:59 AM »
Hi Terri:

Getting caught up with your build here, the control for the upper ailerons look great and will certainly enhance the appearance of the upper wing.  The prop is looking good as well.  Looking forward to seeing you work through this build. 

Best

Mark
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #49 on: June 23, 2014, 05:17:31 AM »
Hi Mark , thanks for following along Fuselage is just about finished and will be ready to start on those wing ribs .

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #50 on: July 01, 2014, 11:28:26 PM »
Okay I'm ready to start the ribbing on wings but I'm at a cross road on which would be the most realistic effect .

My first plan is to do the taping with Tamiya tape then spray Mr.surface 500 and sanding this with a scotch brite pad exposing the tape . Then I though about using the kit decals cut it lozenge tape , but I think this would be too thin over all losing the effect once a coat of paint is applied .

What do you think here ?

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #51 on: July 02, 2014, 01:41:39 AM »
T, I agree that the decals would be too thin, but if you're going to use tape, I would recommend running thin CA along the edges to seal it and ensure that it doesn't come off at a later date.  I used HGW rib tape decals on my Tripe and I really like the way they turned out.  Not sure about the accuracy on the SSW, though.  Best to check refs first, but then I know you always do that.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #52 on: July 04, 2014, 09:24:36 AM »
Thanks for your input Bud ! I'm going with the Tamiya tape with Mr.Surface and sand this back with scotch brite pad . I wanted to avoid sanding . However , I found away on how to make the rib tapes for the lozenge . Once Aviattic decals are applied a cream backing needs to done for the tapes . I'm going to slice the kit decals into strips first leaving them intake and spray them Tamiya buff which I avoid having to cut afterwards and chip the paint .

Terri

Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #53 on: July 04, 2014, 09:28:46 AM »
Good plan, sis!
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #54 on: July 08, 2014, 08:32:50 AM »
Great progress, Terri.  I am looking forward to seeing how your rib tape
ideas come out...I'm sure with your talent it will be superb. :)

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #55 on: July 08, 2014, 08:45:12 AM »
Good idea you have for the rib tapes Terri, on two of my scratch builds I used Bob's Strippers in much the same manner as you are going to use the Tamiya tape. Have a look at Bob's Buckles website and check-out his strippers, they are excellent. Looking forward to more progress on this build Terri.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #56 on: July 08, 2014, 09:46:10 AM »
Terri,
     This just keeps getting better; keep up the excellent work! FWIW I've used Tamiya tape for wraps on struts and, once sealed per Bud's suggestion it hasn't budged.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #57 on: July 08, 2014, 01:22:31 PM »
Hi Richard , yes -even though this should be 32 scale I'm still needing a few more items before that project begins . So I hope 48 scale will make it up to you . A few years back we talk about what effects can be achieved and since then I have been doing a bit of pondering on this and hopefully the end results will not be disappointing .

Thanks Ernie , I'm taking my time with this one even if I don't have much bench time in , it's summer  :) I made progress and the prop/spinner is read for paint and the internal struts are set to go and I started making new cab struts with work starting on a new axle wing .

Hi Des , I have used Tamiya tape for rib tapes before ( W-29 build ) on the top of wings , but I didn't use Mr.Surface . Bob has come out with some very neat items , one day I would like to give this try .

Hello Lance , I found another detail to add , cowl clips ! Even Eduard missed this and easy made with scrap PE parts . I do think this is becoming a problem . Soon as I add detail , I see more which can be added !

Thanks Guy's for all your support  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #58 on: July 12, 2014, 09:37:06 AM »
I have spent a bit of time in front of the bench as I mentioned before so here are a few pictures of this .

The cooling holes in the spinner were cleaned up and the PE parts added to the back side . These items weren't easily to shape so they are far from perfect but should sever the effect well I hope . Hub part fitted in place but not yet glued . Still have to paint all this . The blades were also thinned down a bit more for a better scale effect .

Inter struts for the lower pin I used plastic rod , this is strong ( Hard to snap , but remains flexible ) . Top us brass pins as well for the landing struts . Over the weekend I will try and get the cab struts and axle parts made with the possibility of starting to detail the engine . I also need to go back and add the lip on the cowls edge which I missed .

Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #59 on: July 12, 2014, 09:37:43 AM »
 :)

Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch