Author Topic: Time for the annual Wingnuts speculation  (Read 435801 times)

Offline Jeff K

Re: Time for the annual Wingnuts speculation
« Reply #2265 on: September 16, 2017, 10:57:27 PM »
An Re.8 duellists boxing would be brilliant. Could be paired with any fighter.

I really hope they move forward with the special editions especially if the figures are specific pilots.

Offline mike in calif

« Reply #2266 on: September 29, 2017, 01:18:56 AM »
Thought I'd stop in for a bit as I'm slowed on moving right now. The RE8/Albie would , I think sell very well given a combo of two classic,and "sold out" planes. WNW doesn't really have a New release German fighter to pair the RE8 with, so I'm going with the Albie. There is a new release Fokker DVII out.

Offline Jeff K

« Reply #2267 on: September 29, 2017, 02:16:17 PM »
i'd prefer a D.VII to an Albatros. the Albatros is also available in a new release (the Jasta V boxing) so that's a wash.

why a D.VII? Pithey and Rhodes were bounced by seven D.VIIs on 30 August 1918, and are credited with shooting one down in flames.

i'd like to see a duelist boxing where the two-seater wins...

Offline mike in calif

« Reply #2268 on: September 30, 2017, 12:53:09 AM »
Good point there, Jeff. I'd forgotten about the Trilogy set.
 Oddly, I have a trilogy set.

Offline zavod44

« Reply #2269 on: October 11, 2017, 01:30:41 AM »
I have built all of Roden's 1:32 scale WW1 aircraft kits and to be honest I enjoyed every build, they can be a challenge but I class it as "real" modeling and not just a "shake and bake" kit. As Lance has already mentioned, their Siemens Schuckert is a good kit and makes up to be a really nice looking model as does the DH.2, Pfalz D.III, Spad VII and Fokker Dr.1, all very nice models. A lot has been said about the decals with Roden kits but with all the kits I have made I used all the kit supplied decals without any issue.

Getting back on track with the Wingnuts speculation I'm still waiting for the BE.2 or the Avro 504, two aeroplanes very worthy of being kitted.

Des.

I think that is a very elitist attitude, Saying it's "real" modelling, that's a load of crap in my opinion.  I will point out there not a 150 page thread on Roden speculation.  For me "real" modelling is smart modelling.  I don't want to spend my time trying to polish a turd into something decent.  If you enjoy working on sub par kits that is your gig and I'll stand behind you in doing so but calling it "real" is an insult to anyone who makes models.  This is a hobby, to me it's my artwork that I do for relaxation. I don't need to prove anything to anyone.  I don't do it to brag that I built some old kit, but I'm not much of a boaster or showboater anyhow.  I'm not going to go back and build the old Hasegawa 1/32 Me 262 from the 60's to prove something....no I'l go buy the good one from Trumpeter and build a nice kit.   All I stated is that Roden kits are mediocre at best....I don't think anyone can disagree. Back to the topic, I'll wait for a good Fokker Dr.1, that's what I would like to see......

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #2270 on: October 11, 2017, 03:54:33 AM »
Back to the topic, I'll wait for a good Fokker Dr.1, that's what I would like to see......

You and me both!
Roll on the Dr.1.

Von B

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #2271 on: October 11, 2017, 08:58:41 AM »
I think that is a very elitist attitude, Saying it's "real" modelling, that's a load of crap in my opinion.  I will point out there not a 150 page thread on Roden speculation.  For me "real" modelling is smart modelling.  I don't want to spend my time trying to polish a turd into something decent.  If you enjoy working on sub par kits that is your gig and I'll stand behind you in doing so but calling it "real" is an insult to anyone who makes models.  This is a hobby, to me it's my artwork that I do for relaxation. I don't need to prove anything to anyone.  I don't do it to brag that I built some old kit, but I'm not much of a boaster or showboater anyhow.  I'm not going to go back and build the old Hasegawa 1/32 Me 262 from the 60's to prove something....no I'l go buy the good one from Trumpeter and build a nice kit.   All I stated is that Roden kits are mediocre at best....I don't think anyone can disagree. Back to the topic, I'll wait for a good Fokker Dr.1, that's what I would like to see......

Be very very careful, this comment is boardering on personal abuse and will not be tolerated on this forum regardless of who you think you are.

This topic will now get back on track.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #2272 on: October 11, 2017, 09:28:43 AM »
Its no secret that Wingnuts models are easier to make than Roden, and the Roden kits can be frustrating to work with, especially with vague instructions. Des is quite right that making a Roden kit requires "real modelling" insomuch as the modeller is often called on to improvise/ adapt/ scratchbuild/ guess parts location/ fight with crappy decals etc.

I have just finished a Roden 1/32 Fokker F.1 and have moved straight on to a Wingnuts Pfalz D.XII. The Roden kit is a very nice model but it required a lot more thought and improvisational work than the Wingnuts. Hence the 'real modelling' phrase. It is not an insulting phrase nor is it elitist or dismissive of others.

Having said that, I like Roden kits. They are not the best on the market- nobody claimed they were- but were it not for Roden venturing into 1/32 WW1 as it did, I doubt the market demand would have been there for Wingnuts to take the gamble. Roden showed the way. Wingnuts kits are better.

But if you want a 1/32 Siemens Schuckert D.III or a Spad VII, Albatros D.III, the oft-desired Fokker DR.1 and so on, Roden are still the only game in town and they can be made into quite nice models.

Obviously there are fanatical Wingnuts fans who dismiss Roden or other manufacturers, but the reality is that both brands have their place in the market. It needs to be remembered that the Wingnuts people themselves are always highly respectful of their commercial rivals.

I would hope we could have a robust discussion on the possible new releases from Wingnuts without any personal abuse. They are, after all, only plastic model aeroplanes folks!

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia

Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #2273 on: October 11, 2017, 01:49:54 PM »
I'm actually getting a bit tired of speculating what WNW is going to do, why they didn't, if they will again, trying to understand the business plan, accounting for  whims, Sir PJ rings the bell I salivate, and in the end I get no building done (except stash building.) Now that's just me, each to their own, but I think I'm going to try and stop hoping for the next great kit and build some of the great ones I have.

Steve 

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #2274 on: October 11, 2017, 06:39:31 PM »
I'm actually getting a bit tired of speculating what WNW is going to do, why they didn't, if they will again, trying to understand the business plan, accounting for  whims, Sir PJ rings the bell I salivate, and in the end I get no building done (except stash building.) Now that's just me, each to their own, but I think I'm going to try and stop hoping for the next great kit and build some of the great ones I have.

Steve

It's not just you, Steve. I have a WNW Pup, it's a nice kit with lots of bits. Is it the ultimate representation of a Pup? Well not for the aeroplane I wanted to build, so I still ended up scratchbuilding bits for it. Perhaps not as many as for a Roden kit.

If you want to build one of the kit options and are happy WNW got their research right, they're great. As you'll have noticed, I'm much happier building either the rare and unusual, or sometimes the common and unremarked

Richard

Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Offline Iancshippee

« Reply #2275 on: October 11, 2017, 06:53:58 PM »
I'm only on my first WNW kit, and I do find the level of detail marvelous. I have 3 in the stash, all Sopwiths, and though I prefer 1:48 to 1:32 I like what WNW has done to the market. The offerings from Copper State are truly marvelous; I have the Dolphin and G4 in waiting and sometimes just gaze into the boxes to marvel at them, and the offerings from Eduard have had a sharp uptick in quality as well. As for my speculation/wish list, I would love to see them put forth a Nieuport 11, a Fokker D.VIII, a Morane Saulnier AI, a Hanriot HD.1 and 2, and an Avro 504k. 4 of those 5 are in the TVAL collection so I have high hopes they will show up at some point!

Offline Jeff K

« Reply #2276 on: October 11, 2017, 07:25:31 PM »
All I stated is that Roden kits are mediocre at best....I don't think anyone can disagree. Back to the topic, I'll wait for a good Fokker Dr.1, that's what I would like to see......

i disagree. emphatically.

Roden kits aren't as good as WNW, but they're very good. and they usually get the shape pretty much right, which to me is the most important thing (hardest thing to fix myself). when they've gotten it really wrong, aftermarket sorts it out (tripehound fuselage).

you sound like you believe your assessment of Roden is objective, but really it's just one more opinion. so's mine. so what. that's what forums do.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #2277 on: October 11, 2017, 08:09:21 PM »
I may have said this once or twice before, but I would love to see either a BE.2 or an Avro 504.

Des.

Online macsporran

« Reply #2278 on: October 11, 2017, 08:35:45 PM »
Personally I like something with teeth, so I'd give the 504 a miss - a multi-gun Dolphin please!
I'd have thought the BE 2 series would have appeared by now, as TVAL  have done the research and WNW already have the wings all tooled up in the Fee kits (BE2C) and RE8 (BE2D/E).
S

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #2279 on: October 11, 2017, 09:02:25 PM »
Here you go, an Avro 504 with teeth - Foster Mounted Lewis Gun on an Avro 504 Night Fighter.