Author Topic: Roden's 1/32 S.E.5a (Wollseley Viper) - Grinnell-Milne's 'Schweinhund'  (Read 33023 times)

Offline GEEBEE Z

Re: Roden's 1/32 S.E.5a (Wollseley Viper) - Grinnell-Milne's 'Schweinhund'
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2012, 06:24:48 PM »
I've got this kitand will be watching this build with interest,as am doint this version too.Well done so far. 8)

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2012, 10:21:01 PM »
Chris,
 Nice wing work.  ;)
I think you have battled through the worst of it.
 It's all downhill from now on in. Downhill in an 18 wheeled arctic stuck in neutral... lol

Keep going.
BVB

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline Pete Nottingham

• I chose the wrong week to stop sniffing glue
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2012, 11:50:04 PM »
Great wing work Chris, keep going mate.

Cheers

Pete.

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2012, 01:33:52 AM »
Chris your patience is admirable. I would more likely be a patient. SInce you spray your paint Im going to guess you use a mask and so my suggestion should be considered safe. I cut all my paint with laquer thinner - even Tamiya and Gunze acrylics (ok NOT citadel paint). Although it is a "hot" solvent the atomized paint hits the model and drys quickly, smooth, glossy and rock hard.  As mentioned by someone earlier, an absolutely clean surface is important too.  Arent Roden kits "fun?" They are certainly wolves in sheeps clothing. "Gee this looks nicely detailed but simple at the same time.....clamp, saw, table vice, hammer...third hand...." Please WNW just DO a Dr1....

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2012, 01:34:39 AM »
It's all downhill from now on in. Downhill in an 18 wheeled arctic stuck in neutral... lol
Keep going.

Geesh! It's been all downhill since I started! You mean to say it gets . . . worse??  :o :o :o  ;D

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2012, 01:37:27 AM »
Chris your patience is admirable. I would more likely be a patient. SInce you spray your paint Im going to guess you use a mask and so my suggestion should be considered safe. I cut all my paint with laquer thinner - even Tamiya and Gunze acrylics (ok NOT citadel paint). Although it is a "hot" solvent the atomized paint hits the model and drys quickly, smooth, glossy and rock hard.  As mentioned by someone earlier, an absolutely clean surface is important too.  Arent Roden kits "fun?" They are certainly wolves in sheeps clothing. "Gee this looks nicely detailed but simple at the same time.....clamp, saw, table vice, hammer...third hand...." Please WNW just DO a Dr1....

I've been considering cutting my Tamiya paint with lacquer for some time now. After this fiasco, I think I'm just about ready to take the plunge.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2012, 01:42:14 AM »
...play safe!!!!

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2012, 12:54:02 AM »
Wolseley Viper Engine

Bear with me here. Aside from easy jobs like changing engine oil, I have absolutely no mechanical ability at all, so I get confused easily. I've had a look at Jamo's excellent images for the Wolseley Viper engine and I must admit to being confused about the plug leads and how they run to the magnetos.

Plugs: Just to confirm; eight per cylinder bank - four on each side, for a total of 16. Correct?

Plug Leads: Roden has thoughtfully provided the leads to the magnetos coming out of a pipe mounted across the tops of the magnetos. My problem is in deciphering how the 16 leads go into the pipe. It appears as though the leads from the plugs on the outside of the cylinder banks run into the ends of the pipe, but where do the leads from the insides of the banks go? They seem to disappear under the pipe, to my mechanically challenged eye.

Cheers,

Chris   

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2012, 01:17:21 AM »
Further to my last posting about plug wiring for the Viper, Des' S.E.5a build log on his regular site has some excellent images that answered my questions. I should've thought to look there first.

Cheers,

Chris

Offline tankbear

« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2012, 04:33:51 AM »
Chris,

I know how you feel about figuring out that Des had the answers to your questions posted on his site. I have been working on a project and finally found some more references in a book I have had for a few years... Which changed a couple things and explained a lot more.

However, I am sure that no matter where the information for your engine came from you will end up with a great looking one for your plane...

Bob
Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
---Douglas Adams

We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem.
------Douglas Adams

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2012, 12:25:20 AM »
I am sure that no matter where the information for your engine came from you will end up with a great looking one for your plane...

Right now I'm fumbling around with plug wires and magnetos so I would disagree with you at this point in time. How Des manages to do the intricate work he does, boggles my mind. If I'm lucky, my wiring will look like last night's spaghetti dinner. Don't ask what the alternative is.  ;D

Cheers,

Chris

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2012, 05:12:02 AM »

I'm pretty well finished with my Wolseley Viper engine, with only some detail painting and the application of a grimy wash to go. I added plugs from 0.5 mm brass tubing (16 in total) and plug wires made from 0.10" lead wire. This is the first time I've used lead wire for plug leads and I found it more flexible than copper wire, holds its shape better, and overall, it's just much easier to work with. Luckily, it fit right into the 0.5 mm tubing too.

I replaced the plastic plug lead tube on top of the magnetos with a length of 1.2 mm brass tube. I fed the plug leads into each end and super glued them in place. Although you can't see it in the photos here, I added some very short wires from the tube to the magnetos. The water pipes to the cylinder heads is made from household solder.

That's all I plan to add to the Viper as I'm told by two members here that there are some major fit issues when installing the engine in the fuselage, so if I have to use a pair of side cutters to prune off parts to make it fit, I can't see the point in adding any other detail.

Cheers,

Chris

Offline phs Paddy

« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2012, 05:35:54 AM »
Looking good Chris.

Paddy
In mathematics you don't understand things, you just get use to them. Johann von Neumann 1903-1957

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2012, 05:37:30 AM »
Chris,
   Your Viper comes off very well; I'm particularly impressed with your ignition wiring harness. I havn't built this kit, stayed with the WNW "Hisso" version and only finished the portion of the engine visible with the cowlings on. Nicely done.
Looking forward to more photos as she's completed.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Galloway

« Reply #44 on: April 24, 2012, 06:43:13 AM »
Chris,

Your Viper looks very good! I have heard the same about fit problems with this kit! But also heard with a little coaxing, everything will go together just fine!

Just move the baseball bat to another room if you happen to have one in close proximity to the work area ..... getting up and having to go get it gives you time to realize what your about to do!

Can't wait to see more!       

Ken
"Slàinte mhòr agad!"