Author Topic: Maquette 1:48 Morane 'G'  (Read 4719 times)

Offline ta152c

• My threads are doing iron man numbers
Maquette 1:48 Morane 'G'
« on: April 22, 2012, 07:57:37 AM »
Hello everyone.

When I put a request on the 'hints and tips' section, I received some great help from forum members with PDFs of plans and some great links.

Thanks to Scott(Albatros1234), William Smith and Des :) I managed to do some work on this kit tonight after dinner, here are some pics :

The kit came with a white-metal Gnome 9-cylinder engine *, which needs wiring, I added interior strip and cross-bracing, made a floor, added brass tube at the tail to support and animate the rudder, will attach the tailplanes to the brass tube as the plastic  connection on them looks far too weak. Once again, white plastic card and strip isn't very photogenic, but this and the two Oeffags ** will be primed at the same time, you'll see more then.

Its quite a nice model, mainwings are lovely and thin, rib detail on rudder and tailplanes (which will need thinned) looks ok. Undercarriage looks sturdy, prop ok. Nothing that can't be improved.

Fair amount of flash (no bad thing, better than short-moulding). Detail is there, but white plastic is a real pain. No decals, but should be easy enough to obtain them. I've seen one (profile, not the real thing) used by the IRAS and armed with a Madsen? mg fitted to fire over the propellor arc, Kazakov may have flown one, actually. That might look quite good, we'll see . . .

There you go :)

* not supplied with original kit
** and the Aviatik D.I
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 08:20:57 PM by ta152c »
"I hope he burned all the way down" - Mannock on hearing of the death of Manfred Von Richthofen, 1918.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Re: Maquette 1:48 Morane 'G'
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 08:10:00 AM »
Starting to shape up very nicely, good idea to use brass tube for the hinges, makes for a much stronger assembly. What is the white-metal Gnome engine like as far as detail goes?

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline ta152c

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 08:41:45 AM »
Hello Des!

The engine looks very basic, but I can add detail from wire. The kit supplies a part for the rods at the front, will add it on. Looks a nice kit, curse that white plastic, can't see much detail yet.

Regards :)
"I hope he burned all the way down" - Mannock on hearing of the death of Manfred Von Richthofen, 1918.

Online RAGIII

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 11:10:24 AM »
David, you are a building Machine! I have this kit and am sure this will help me gain a lot of info on turning it into a great model!
Looking really nice so far!!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 02:01:51 PM »
i can also send you a copy of the eduard 7 cyl rotary i made a mold for that six months ago as i sometimes found myself wishing i had another 7. 9 cyl rotaries are a dime a dozen.

Offline ta152c

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2012, 08:29:12 PM »
Thanks Scott!

I have no idea where the white metal engine on this kit is from, came with the kit. Don't think its Aeroclub though, looks as if it might have came from a vacform? Incidentally, I have two 1:48 Morane Parasols, one Eduard, the other Roseplanes with sweet-looking vacform wings. I'll do Warneford's Zeppelin killer and a Russian one from the Civil war, I've got a profile of one used by Kolchak's Siberian Army, with unusual roundels, half green/half white.

There you go, more insight into my modelling activities.

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 12:12:44 AM »
   David,
Cudo's for being such a prolific modeler along with the highest skills and craftsmanship my friend. I looking forward to following this newest of your outstanding threads.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline ta152c

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 01:59:50 AM »
I'm honoured and flattered that you say that, Gregory. I'm really enjoying being here and contributing. Hopefully my builds will be good enough.

Most of all, I've made some great friends here, one day we should all get together and party hard!

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 02:16:06 AM »
 Never fear my friend your builds certainly are and will be good enough as you say.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline ta152c

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2012, 02:37:55 AM »
I'll have it finished in the next two weeks, hopefully :)

Even simple kits take time, as I've found out . . . however, as a newcomer to 1:48, I'm really enjoying the scope offered, makes detailing so much easier (relatively).

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2012, 04:57:11 AM »
I love 1/48 scale, David.  They don't take up too much space and detailing is easier than 1/72 scale.  And you're right, the subject matter has expanded greatly over the past 20 years.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline ta152c

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2012, 07:32:39 AM »
More work tonight :

Extended the floor to add the rudder bar and cables running from it, attached rods to the engine, sanded out the prop, wheels and upper cowling, cut slots in the tailplane for the brass rod, sanded the seat.

There you go :)

« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 07:38:26 AM by ta152c »

Offline Whiteknuckles

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2012, 08:33:02 AM »
Looking good David - it's a pleasure modelling vicariously with you talented fellows ;)

Andrew
Eternal Apprentice

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2012, 08:41:35 AM »
You're right, David.  That seat does look uncomfortable. ???
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline ta152c

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2012, 08:54:57 AM »
I wonder where the seatbelt/s go as there doesn't seem to be any evidence for them. Rather dangerous in a loop, even with centripetal force :(
unless they are attached to the seat supports?