Author Topic: Re: Squiffy's Kites: RAF F.E2b night bomber,58 Squadron. 1/72 scale  (Read 25517 times)

Offline Squiffy

• Something up with my banter, chaps?
OK, I have plucked up the courage to post some pictures. Compared with what I've seen so far on here my efforts aren't up to much but I like them and enjoy building them so I suppose that's what matters.

I suppose you could say that they are wargames standard and not show models. Because of the fact that they are used in wargaming I haven't, up until now, even considered fitting rigging but one of the models shown below is my first attempt at it. I've done only the basics between the wings but it does look better for it. I don't think I'll do any more than that as it will be easily damaged in gaming.

The first is a Hannover CLIIIa, built from an old Airfix kit. I hand painted the camouflage on the fuselage and middle section of the upper wing but the rest of the wings are covered in lozenge decal. I'm not sure it's the proper pattern for this aeroplane but it looks alright to me.

The second is a Nieuport 28, built from the Revell kit and painted in the colours of Eddie Rickenbacker of the 94th Aero Squadron USAAS. I opened out the engine cowl, using a reamer, as the hole looked too small when compared with photos of the real thing. This is the one I have added the rigging to for the first time. I used some sort of elastic that was about 1.5 mm thick. I cut into the end and then peeled off a narrow section. I didn't really know what I was doing but it's turned out alright.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 02:42:55 AM by Squiffy »

Offline Squiffy

Re: Squiffy's Kites (1:72)
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2014, 06:37:46 AM »
Nieuport.

Offline Epeeman

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2014, 08:17:26 AM »
No need to bashful, Squiffy -

These look fine to me.  My first attempts at rigging were truly dreadful - like you I did not know how to do this until I started reading tips on the internet.  It just improves over time and everybody has there own preferred method.  I believe there is a thread on this site on how to do it.

What are going to have a go at next?

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point?

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2014, 08:57:31 AM »
Excellent work, Squiffy!  Your hand painted Hannover looks very good and the five color camo on your Nieuport is brilliant.  Her rigging looks fantastic, as well.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline IanB

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2014, 11:43:31 AM »
They both look very good, Squiffy!
 I'm not a gamer, but if I were you, I'd make a point of adding the rigging - if you drill and thread using fine monofilament it adds a LOT to the structural strength of the model, which can surely only help if it's being handled a lot.

Ian

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2014, 11:54:35 AM »
Very nice models, Squiffy.  The rigging on the Nieuport is gorgeous, not
an easy feat in the teeny scale.  It would be great to see more of
your work.  Well done!

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline justin1980

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2014, 05:26:07 PM »
Both great looking models, the nieuport looks fantastic! Well done!  :D

Bessie Braddock: Sir, you are drunk.                             
Churchill: Madam, you are ugly. In the morning, I shall be sober!

Nancy Astor: Sir, if you were my husband, I would give you poison.
Churchill: If I were your husband I would take it.

Offline Squiffy

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2014, 08:11:50 PM »
Thanks, chaps.

They both look very good, Squiffy!
 I'm not a gamer, but if I were you, I'd make a point of adding the rigging - if you drill and thread using fine monofilament it adds a LOT to the structural strength of the model, which can surely only help if it's being handled a lot.

Ian

Hi, Ian. Is monofilament the same as nylon invisible thread? I got a bobbin of this from the haberdashers and had considered using it but didn't as it's difficult to handle and doesn't seem to take cyanoacrylate glue very easily.

No need to bashful, Squiffy -

These look fine to me.  My first attempts at rigging were truly dreadful - like you I did not know how to do this until I started reading tips on the internet.  It just improves over time and everybody has there own preferred method.  I believe there is a thread on this site on how to do it.

What are going to have a go at next?

Regards

Dave

Iam Currently building a Gotha IV and am finishing off a DH-2 and also an Albatros D.V, which I am painting in the colours of Lt. Hermann Goering of Jasta 27.

Offline IanB

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2014, 10:40:59 PM »
Hi Squiffy,
No, it's not quite the same. I tried that on my first build and it was a pain - it's too thick and consequently difficult to get the runs right. Mono is fishing line. 2lb test is about .005" (.13mm) - a little over scale but it looks fine and is easy to use.

Ian

Offline Squiffy

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2014, 01:03:30 AM »
Thanks, Ian. I've measured the thread and it's 0.13mm so I may have a go at using it. My biggest worry is drilling the struts to thread it through as it's sure to weaken them.

Offline IanB

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2014, 10:36:10 AM »
Don't drill the struts, drill the wings! Then you'll have the added structural strength.

Ian

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2014, 12:29:50 PM »
I thought I commented on your builds last night. So now that I realize I didn't.... The Nieuport looks absolutely AWESOME! Lovely paint work! Your hand painting of the Mock Lozenge on the other is extremely well done!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Bolman

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2014, 01:35:51 PM »
Nice to see another game piece modeler... and in my scale!

Great job on both offerings, keep up the good work!

John

Offline Piotr D.

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2014, 08:57:02 PM »
Hi Squiffy!

That hand painted lozenga on Hannover is amazing! :-)
Could You please post few more detailed photos of Nieuport 28?

Online PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2014, 07:52:39 PM »
Glad to meet yet one more 72nd scale builder! It is a fine pair of models, looking forward to see more.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.