Author Topic: Something Completely Different: Oertz W6 Flying Schooner  (Read 8138 times)

Offline DaveB

Re: Something Completely Different: Oertz W6 Flying Schooner
« Reply #75 on: September 03, 2021, 11:12:14 PM »
Really starting to look like an aircraft now, Steve -

Love the great progress you have made and I think your 'simple wing jigs' are brilliant!

Wonderful!

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point!

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #76 on: September 04, 2021, 03:12:08 AM »
That strut configuration is quite complicated.  Excellent job on the process of getting them installed.

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #77 on: September 04, 2021, 04:18:58 AM »
Fantastic work, Stephen. I have been a bit lazy last time and I nearly missed this masterclass scratch build. Really great work.
Bye Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #78 on: September 04, 2021, 04:21:14 AM »
Stephen,
    Your exceptional skills of designing and employing (not so simple!) jigs shines through again. This design would test the limits of most Modeller's skills yet here you are once again sailing through the obstacle course of a seemingly impossible strut layout with ease ...... Bravo! This is impressive and a real pleasure to follow along.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Marklo

« Reply #79 on: September 04, 2021, 05:28:14 AM »
Looking absolutely wonderful. You do have to admit it’s one of the maddest aircraft. Looking at your build I’m almost tempted to go again in 1/72 as it’s so cute, ( I said almost) my next off odd aircraft will probably be a Fokker V8 but I am toying with the nine winged  Caproni seaplane :) ( maybe not) and I will definitely attempt a Sablatning triplane from the same book in the near future.

Online RAGIII

« Reply #80 on: September 05, 2021, 05:28:52 AM »
Dang, I miss a couple of updates and you have this one rigged and looking Awesome! You are certainly a Master Scratch Builder Stephen!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Bughunter

« Reply #81 on: September 06, 2021, 12:17:39 AM »
Stephen, you have built a lot already but this one will be the master piece of your collection of crazy birds!
This one is really "Completely Different" but built in a masterful way as always.

Cheers,
Frank

Online William Adair

« Reply #82 on: September 06, 2021, 09:21:47 PM »
Looks amazing now.  It's got a real touch of the Porco Rosso to it as well  8)

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #83 on: September 07, 2021, 05:35:57 AM »
Evening All,

My sincere thanks to all of you who have replied to the updates - I really appreciate your very positive and supportive comments. William you will now be able to see what the aircraft looked like at the end of this post.

I had to correct an error before proceeding with the front upper wing. I had mis-interpreted the drawings when I put in the radiator pipes: what I had thought were the pipes were in fact control wires to the tail surfaces - the radiator pipes were not on the drawing at all! A quick change in position of the pipes was carried out and they now look much better and plausible. The front upper wing was mounted in the same way as the rear upper wing - by using custom made jigs which were secured with masking tape:

I had learned from experience when mounting the rear upper wing that I would have to invert the model to fix the struts - the masking tape ensured that I could do this while keeping the jigs and wing in place. The centre section struts were fitted first - that meant that the wing was held in part by the struts while the jigs supported the outer parts of the wing when I handled the model. I had to invert the model to be able to fix the struts to the underside of the top wing:

The remaining struts were inserted as per the rear wing and the jigs removed as soon as one pair of struts had been inserted on each side of the centre section. Rigging followed with some difficulty because the fore-aft wires were not easy to get at and access to the bay wires at the rear was restricted by the rear wings. Two separate sessions were required to get this far:

The tail surfaces were assembled before I fixed them to the booms. This allowed me to rig some of the control wires and bracing and made life easier getting everything square and true. The booms were also rigged before the tail surfaces were attached. The horizontal tail plane was CA'd to the upper surface of the boom and the control wires rigged:

Finally I added the ailerons to the rear wings, the windscreen, propellors and the last of the control wires from the tail unit, and the anti-drag wires for the wings and the model is complete:

I am in the process of finishing the trolley on which the machine was carried to the launch ramp and a simple base on which to mount the model as it is a bit fragile and awkward to handle. I hope to be able to post pictures of the model on the base in the completed models section in the next few days and give more views of this rather different aeroplane.

Thanks for looking.

Stephen.

Bughunter

« Reply #84 on: September 07, 2021, 06:35:40 AM »
Wow! What a double-engine-double-biplane-boat!
What is the reason for the cutouts at the front of the tailplane? Is there a rigging? Looks unusual, as the whole bird.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #85 on: September 08, 2021, 01:52:28 AM »
Frank: you are correct the cutouts on the tailplane allowed the elevator control wires to pass without fouling or passing through the surface.

I agree that a double pusher double biplane is something to beat!

Stephen.

Offline DaveB

« Reply #86 on: September 08, 2021, 02:15:06 AM »
That's truly outstanding, Steve

Such a very different machine - is it a boat, is a plane ..........?!

Can't wait to see this on it's trolley

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point!

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #87 on: September 08, 2021, 02:32:14 AM »
 :o  ??

Are you sure a couple planes didn't just crash into each other?   ;D

Another fantastic result, Stephen.

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #88 on: September 08, 2021, 03:41:07 AM »
This looks like an aircraft that flew directly from 'Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow"...

Amazing, unique plane and great build Stephen!

Willem

Offline Marklo

« Reply #89 on: September 09, 2021, 06:59:36 AM »
I once read a description of another odd aircraft that described it as a collection of parts flying in formation rather than a single aircraft, probably one that applies to the Oertz too.

Looks wonderful. I have far too many projects on the bench to start another Oertz but, your build has certainly got me thinking of a W5 or a W7.

http://village.photos/images/user/4687b1d8-729a-4290-bd01-dd7e49aa5009/b3afc6f0-37fb-4b3f-895b-97b400a60796.jpeg
My only other thought was that this is about the only machine I can think of that could possibly top the Oertz :)  I’m thinking 1/144 then I’m thinking am I nuts….