Author Topic: A fresh start and new approach  (Read 1956 times)

Offline Gerg

A fresh start and new approach
« on: November 13, 2015, 06:58:26 PM »

Hello to this great community.  My name is Greg. I am from the western US. To be more precise, I am from the beautiful, quiet and sparsely populated state of Idaho.

My modeling history, I will try to be brief.
As a kid I was fortunate enough to be introduced to model making. I built cars and airplanes. Man, were they beautiful. Not really, looking back, but back then they were. At that age finding fault was not yet a learned thing. To be 12 again and not be able to see brush stroke on a car finish. Paint in a can; was there such a thing? Fast forward to my early 40’s, ten years ago. I am bitten by the modeling bug, I go all in. I learn many techniques and actually use them to build a few models. I am happy with my results and enjoy myself. There is one problem though. My ambition greatly outweighs my available time. It is much worse than that.  I want to build everything. Some people have a hard time deciding on a scale within a genre, switching back and forth, or maybe settling into a certain era within a given subject area. Me, I wanted to build everything.  I would start down one path, learning all I could, making great efforts to create my stash when I would see another direction I wanted to go. In the end I had multiple kits in various subject areas: cars, Sci-Fi, aircraft 1/72, 1/48, WW2, jets), boats (wood and plastic), large-scale figures, armor. There was another problem. I had another hobby competing for my time. Woodworking. In the end it won out. It will always be my primary hobby. 

Towards the end I started hearing good things about a company called Wingnut Wings.  I checked them out. Wow, I was blown away. WW1 planes are so much more interesting to look at aren’t they? Dam, I need to build these. But it was too late. I was defeated by the fact that I could not focus on one thing. Switching at that late hour to WW1 planes in 1/32 scale was not going to happen. I put the models away and eventually gave them to my son to sell on eBay. I was done.

So a few years latter and I have an overwhelming need to build something beautiful in miniature. The decision was made; I was going to return to modeling.

So a fresh start and a new approach.
This is my approach. I think it is right for me.
1.   I just purchased 2 models from WnW. I bought a starter model and a goal model. I bought the Pfalz D.IIIa to start with. It is a pleasing plane to the eye and the rigging is less than most. Also, another area I worry about, it can be built with no Lozenge decals, or wing bottoms only, or both wings both surfaces. Now let me explain the goal model.  It is the model I hope to one day be able to build. It lies at the end of a series of progressively harder builds. I may never get there but the plan is to one day build it. It will sit in my work area on a shelf, plastic wrap intact. That model is the early FE.2b. In my mind much too ambitious to be sane but the thought of one day building it makes me happy.
2.   Restraining myself. I will not leave the bounds of 1/32 WnW models.
3.   The most crucial part of my plan. Other than my goal model, I will not have a stash. One model at a time. Only when one is complete will I place an order for another one. My output is going to be low. This I understand and accept. If I have to wait a few weeks to get my next kit, no biggy. I have demonstrate that I can’t be trusted with a credit card when it comes to models so it has to be this way! I understand that a big part, an enjoyable part, of the hobby is creating that stash. I am glad otherwise there would not be such a vast model kit industry. For me though, one kit at a time will keep my focused.

I likely won’t post much. I will however prosper on the fruits of all those on this forum that are dedicated and giving. I want to thank you all, in advance, for sharing your knowledge. I won’t be completely quiet. If I have something to offer then I will share it.  If you have managed to get to the end of his message then you have heard way too much out of me, so my silence for a while is very much in order.  :)

Thanks for reading,
Greg

“Never try to discourage thinking, for you are sure to succeed.”
― Bertrand Russell

Offline Ssasho0

• Scale Models Club Bulgaria
Re: A fresh start and new approach
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2015, 07:22:27 PM »
Welcome Greg,

you will find a lot of information regarding the Pfalz here, but I will suggest you to open a build log. This way you will get the encouragement needed to push you forward in the hard moments or when you get tired from the build, timely advices - it is way to receive help early than to later when many things are messed. Also you will find that WnW kits are actually easier to build than most other kits. They offer great opportunities for the superdetailing guys, but great models are produced with a way more casual approach also.

Best regards,
Sasho
Think globally, act locally!

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2015, 07:37:34 PM »
Hello Greg and welcome to the forum, glad you decided to join this happy group of modelers. Quite an interesting introduction, there is one thing in there that I remember well, I always said to myself that I would build only one model at a time and not buy another kit until it was finished, well, I have now built 40 1:32 scale WW1 aircraft and have another 25 in my stash, all this happened in just 4 years, the WW1 aviation bug is very catching ;) ;) :)

Des.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 08:07:34 PM by Des »
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2015, 07:56:33 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Greg.
You will love building the Pfalz - she can be tickled into shape with the minimum of fuss  ;)  Enjoy!

Von Buckle  :)

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2015, 11:52:26 PM »
Like Des said your intro was very interesting. I too once had a LARGE stash covering multiple scales, and it included Aircraft, Armor, Ships, and Figures. I sold most at Model shows about 10 to 12 years ago. That being said I still have about 100 kits left out of the @ 1,000 I once had  ::) I am glad you have found this forum as you will certainly receive any info you ask for. I too would love to see a build log on your Pfalz. I have one going myself right now. So, Welcome to the BEST FORUM on the NET!
RAGIII/AKA Rick Geisler
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2015, 12:00:03 AM »
Welcome to the Forum Greg. It will be interesting to see how long you stick to your resolve to avoid even a modest Stash. Keep in mind those magnificent Wingnut Kits are limited releases, you wouldn't want to miss one should it go out of stock ::) ;)........just saying is all!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Gerg

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2015, 02:03:44 AM »
Keep in mind those magnificent Wingnut Kits are limited releases, you wouldn't want to miss one should it go out of stock

Lance, how quickly you have found my achilles tendon. I know this thought of missing out on kits that become unavailable drove me before. Must be a requirement to be in this hobby.

To be honest I had to fix this idea of one model at a time in my mind otherwise that order I placed with WnW would have been 4 times as large.  ;D My resolve will take as long as it takes to establish myself in some way, in this hobby. There are questions that need to be answered first. Already I have some of those answers. Yesterday I visited Cabelas and another sporting good store to purchase some fishing line and some hollow tubing. An immediate question I had was whether I would be able to physically rig these little planes. By physically, I mean would my eyes cooperate. My vision is good, no glasses yet but even so .5 mm and smaller is pure insanity. And you want me to pass a flimsy little fishing line through it! Twice even!?  :) I bought some 2 lb. test and some Micro tubing (.254 mm inside dia.), made a few eyelets per the great information provided by Des, and found a scrap piece of styrene. I have to announce, I had success. With the help of my Optivisor I was able to do it. Once through was not bad but the second time it was a real trick to get the line through. On the second and third attempts it was if the tubing had suddenly gotten bigger. Wow, not much learning curve here. I then realized that I had mixed up the packages of tubing and was in fact using the Midge size. It is enormous at a whopping .43 mm I.D. Well, one more try at the smaller stuff and with a bit of coaxing I again had success. 

I can see myself building a stash at some point but I really need to know I can find my own particular way of being in the hobby.  This really amounts to always having a set amount of time that is dedicated to model building. Striking a balance with my other hobby.

Thanks for the warm welcomes. Thank you Des and your compatriots. You all have a good thing here. I love the fact that it is just WW1. That will help me stay focused!

Build log? I hadn't really thought about that but the idea does intrigue me.  I will give it some thought. I know I will be slow but I suppose that will be ok. The model will need to arrive, I will need to learn from others what they have learned, I will need to figure out what paints to order (one disadvantage to living in a place with few people, there are few hobby shops) and while all of that is happening I can finish a few woodworking project that I have not even started.  :)

Greg
“Never try to discourage thinking, for you are sure to succeed.”
― Bertrand Russell

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2015, 02:10:14 AM »
Welcome aboard, Greg!  I'm glad to see that you're going to give it another go.  I agree with Sasho's recommendation that you start a build log.  I have found that on most builds I've done, at some point I feel like giving up and starting something else.  The encouragement of my forum family always keeps me going.  I know you're going to enjoy your Pfalz and there are several among us that can give you pointers along the way.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Pgtaylorart

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2015, 02:20:24 AM »
Welcome to the Forum Greg. It will be interesting to see how long you stick to your resolve to avoid even a modest Stash. Keep in mind those magnificent Wingnut Kits are limited releases, you wouldn't want to miss one should it go out of stock ::) ;)........just saying is all!
Cheers,
Lance

Very nice, Lance! He's trying to keep things under control. You'd take an alcoholic to a bar! ;D "Just one small drink won't hurt!" Haha

All kidding aside, Greg, if you are already feeling comfortable with rigging, you should have no problem with the Pfalz D.IIIa. And after that, the FE.2b is just more rigging. The model building itself is really not much more complicated than the Pfalz. I think you'll find yourself ready for your "goal model" sooner than you think!

George

Offline IanB

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2015, 04:48:37 AM »
Welcome aboard Greg! As George stated, the FE is not harder than the Pfalz, it's just a little more complicated to look at! All you need once you have mastered the basics is a PLAN....ie in what order do you add the rigging..... there's more of it but it's no more difficult!
 Looking forward to seeing the Pfalz born!

Ian
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 10:34:35 AM by IanB »

Offline Thumbs up

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2015, 05:47:08 AM »
Hi Greg,you sound perfect and you will fit in nicely with this band of brothers.

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2015, 09:42:47 AM »
I know I will be slow but I suppose that will be ok.

No one can possibly be slower than me, but for the most part my presence seems to be tolerated. So shall yours.

Welcome aboard :)

Offline ermeio

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2015, 01:20:37 AM »
Welcome aboard, Greg!

Offline KitRookie37

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2015, 06:51:48 PM »
Hello ladies and gentlemen,
Welcome aboard Greg.
Best regards.
Alain.
Use the force, Luke.

Offline Oeli

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2015, 01:18:10 AM »
Hi,

a warm welcome from me!  :D

regards
Jörg
Normality is a beautiful paved road, but it grow no flowers on her.