Author Topic: Greetings from Rhode Island  (Read 6252 times)

Offline poznanmid

Greetings from Rhode Island
« on: July 06, 2012, 09:24:59 AM »
Hello.  Great site!  I've been interested in aviation from an early age.  My dad was an aerospace engineer and my grandfather flew B-24's with the 44th BG during WWII.  I grew up building model airplanes but left the hobby around 14 due to girls, sports, school etc. I am the black sheep in my family.  I'm the only one that joined the Navy from an Air Force family.(I was too near sighted to fly, so they sent me to serve on fast attack submarines where I spent my days squinting through a periscope)  Got back into modeling about three years ago when I got inspired by some of the work people were doing with the Roden and WNW kits.  Currently married with one son and a daughter on the way.  Between family, work, and the reserves, build time is scarce but I have come to appreciate the work others are doing on forums like this.  The build time I do get is split between three subjects: early US submarines (1900-1945), AEF aircraft, and WWII bombers.  I have a bad habit of starting multiple projects and failing to finish in a timely manner.  Currently working on a 1/32 Nieuport 28, a 1/72 H-16, a 1/32 SPAD XIII, and a U.S. 1/72 C-class submarine.  Nieuport and H-16 are pictured below.  Cheers!

The stupid shall be punished.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Re: Greetings from Rhode Island
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 09:38:34 AM »
Hello and welcome to the forum, so nice to have you here. Very nice work you have posted, I look forward to seeing more of your models posted here soon.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline IanB

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 11:31:33 AM »
Very nice indeed! Welcome to the forum, and Hi! from Cape Cod!

Ian

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 12:15:00 PM »
Welcome to the fold, Poznanmid. I see by your two photos that you are a serious and also talented modeler. Look forward to your inputs and seeing much more of your work in future.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 12:52:50 PM »
Welcome to the forum.  Those are a couple really sweet looking models.  I look forward to seeing more of your work.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 07:27:30 PM »
Welcome aboard, Poznanmid  ;)
Enjoy your time here.

Von Buckle  :)

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2012, 12:38:37 AM »
The paint job on your Nieuport looks spectacular. How about posting an image of the cowl as that looks interesting.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2012, 11:23:37 PM »
Welcome!! those look like great builds!!!

Steve

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2012, 11:44:45 PM »
Hello from the Great White North. Glad to have you with us!
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Offline poznanmid

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2012, 08:50:17 AM »
Chris,

Per your request.  Cheers!

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2012, 12:31:19 AM »
Just as I suspected; a very intricate pattern on that cowl. Now I'm curious to know if you masked and airbrushed it. If so, you did an absolutely superb job with laying out the masking. Any tips on how you did it?

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline poznanmid

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2012, 07:08:44 AM »
Chris,

I'm nowhere near proficient enough with an airbrush to do that pattern.  I used the Superscale Nieuport 28 decal set for Quentin Roosevelt's aircraft.  I simply airbrushed the cowling white then applied the blue decal bands. 

Best regards,

Ryan

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2012, 08:57:30 AM »
Well then, good job on the decals!

Cheers,

Chris

Offline Whiteknuckles

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2012, 10:11:13 AM »
Belated hello and welcome :)
Could you possibly sneak in a picture of one of your subs? (sacrilege I know 8))

Andrew
Eternal Apprentice

Offline poznanmid

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2012, 12:15:56 PM »
Andrew,

per your request, pic of the 1/72 scale USS Holland (SS-1) and 1/72 scale USS Snapper (C-5/SS-16) in progress, the plans and the deck gun for a 1/72 scale S-class submarine, as well as a couple of pics from the 1/1 scale USS Seawolf (Cave Lupum!). 

Cheers!