Author Topic: Re: Hello and welcome  (Read 1474 times)

Offline Nigel Goodson

Re: Hello and welcome
« on: November 03, 2013, 08:24:57 AM »
Very nice to be here ! I just started building models again, and I must confess when it come to WW1 aircraft I'm a total noob! I have just purchased a couple of kits to get started, a SE5a , and a Gotha bomber , both in 1/72 scale, by Roden. I usually hate this scale, but Im going to give them a shot to get warmed up. Anyone out there built the Gotha ? If so any tips, or ideas on after market stutff would be greatly appreciated!
I'm really happy to have found this site, I hope to meet some of you fine folks soon!
"One must first overcome the inner schweinehund"
Manfred Von Richthofen

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
Re: Re: Hello and welcome
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 08:29:48 AM »
Welcome aboard, Nigel!  I look forward to seeing that Gotha here.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Re: Re: Hello and welcome
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 08:30:55 AM »
Hello Nigel and welcome to the forum, so good to see you here. You have come to the right place for WW1 aircraft models, we have a great bunch of talented people here who are all willing to share their knowledge. Please feel free to ask as many questions as you like, there are plenty of boards where you can direct specific questions. Looking forward to meeting you and to see some of your work posted here soon.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline FIREFOX1

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 09:09:39 AM »
Hi and welcome from one newbie to another, I've only been here a short while, but the help and advice is fantastic
‘I hate to shoot a Hun down without him seeing me, for although this method is in accordance with my doctrine, it is against what little sporting instincts I have left.’ (James McCudden, VC, RFC, 1917).

Offline Nigel Goodson

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2013, 09:17:58 AM »
 :)Thanks for the warm welcome, much appreciated!
I can tell already that this is a good bunch, my kind of people...whew, I thought I was the only one who was remotely interested in this.. Very nice indeed.
Manfred Von Richthofen

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2013, 09:32:46 AM »
   Nigel,
Welcome aboard my friend. I only know one Gotha build using the Roden kit and that was built by our Featured Modeler,Dan Smth. I suggest you PM Dan for any advise on the build. I'd direct you to link but I can't seem to remember at the moment. No doubt Dan will gladly be able to help you out there as well. Best of luck to you in your 1/72 scale projects,you're braver than I.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline Nigel Goodson

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2013, 09:53:32 AM »
Your by line says it all, " what me worry" lol, ! It's  going to be an interesting build and I promise I'll try not to swear too much in my description. Is it me , or do I ask for much when I look for locator pins? they really are kinda helpful, ahem, just wondering Roden, yeesh, and the " intructions"  should, well, instruct.. Just sayin...
I'm gonna need some help on this one guys. It's a very interesting subject, and I really could use some thoughts on this. Please feel free to let me know your thoughts, or insights, it would be much appreciated
Cheers
Manfred Von Richthofen

Offline IanB

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2013, 11:13:03 AM »
Welcome Nigel!
 I only work in 1:72 and there are a few others here who do also. Locator pins? What are those?  ;)
I haven't built the Gotha, but feel free to ask any questions you may have: you'll find the answers here!

Ian

Offline Nigel Goodson

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2013, 11:11:57 PM »
Thanks Ian, nice to meet you!
Manfred Von Richthofen

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2013, 11:27:41 PM »
  Well Nigel I do resemble my avator,so naturally "What Me Worry" just fits me to a tee.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline Zabu

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2013, 10:16:26 AM »
Hi Nigel, welcome to forum.   

I'm a 1/72 scaler too, haven't build a Gotha but feel free to ask any question.

Cheers

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2013, 06:32:53 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Nigel.  I really have a lot of admiration for you
teeny-scale modellers!  Good to have you aboard. :)

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline IFF1418

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2013, 09:45:28 PM »
Very warm welcome Nigel. This forum is full of gentle and skilled people. Your choice of the SE5a is a very good one. All the best.

Kind regards
Patrick

Offline Nigel Goodson

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2013, 01:11:50 AM »
Thanks so much for the very warm welcome guys, it's much appreciated !  :)
I'm looking forward to getting to know you all, and I'm thrilled that I am a part of this fine group.
I hope I won't be too much of a pain asking stupid question. As I said, I really am a total noob when it come to building planes, especially in 1/72, so I really look forward to any advice, or suggestion. I know you guys will set me straight....
Have a great day all, I will check in again later..
Cheers!
Manfred Von Richthofen

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2013, 02:44:10 AM »
Nigel,
   No such thing as a stupid question, not on this Forum. Good luck with your first project, you'll find all the answers you'll want here, and we have some really talented Modellers working in 1:72 Scale to help you along with your Build.
  Welcome!
Cheers,
Lance