Author Topic: Does anyone know what these are?  (Read 2084 times)

Offline JoeDxMB

Re: Does anyone know what these are?
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2013, 01:35:48 PM »
I just had a thought.
Since the "L" was mainly a reconnaissance  aircraft that also took photos, perhaps they are connected with that in some way?

Anyway, i do  see how they may be leather pouches. 
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 02:10:11 PM by JoeDxMB »

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2013, 04:04:07 PM »
i just dont see it. i just went thru the type"L" datafile and i see no photos that have anything resembleing windows and those things are awfully wrinkled to be windows anyway,the caption beside that photo doesnt mention them, let alone the fact that  the guys heads are out above the cramped fuselage, maybe storage for photo plates. just cant see anything like a window in that photo. i could be wrong bout what they are but i feel very strong on what they are not.

Offline JoeDxMB

« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2013, 12:57:00 AM »
The more I  look at them, the more I do think that they are leather pouches for whatever.
For me, widows have be eliminated as there are no pics of an "L" from the outside with any hint of a window .

If you accept that they might be leather pouches, you can make out some sort of elastic  or draw string at the top, giving  them  the "rounded" corners and, fluted top appearance.
Also, leather would give it the random pattern reflective qualities due to the uneven surface  of the pouches.
Don't forget that in those days, more light was  need to take a good pic and this could  explain the reflections. 

Now, the question  that begs to be asked is,  why are they mounted directly against the CDL?  :)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 01:20:42 AM by JoeDxMB »

Offline kornbeef

• U.K. Carpet monster genocide squad leader.
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2013, 01:41:35 AM »
I don't know the structure of this A/C but could the sides be ply around the cockpit? I'm sure someone here knows though.

One thing that convinced me they are windows though was the total lack of shadow around the square and the only apparent shadow being within along the upper edge as if the cellon was mounted to the exterior of the panel. Another was the bracing wires crossing them and apparently not deforming the shapes.

I think you are just going to have to do what you feel right and go with it (you do know once you have a week later someone wil post a lovely clear image proving  quite the opposite? ;D

Keith

Never too old to learn sumfink noo

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2013, 05:39:32 AM »
I agree with the assessment that there is no photographic evidence of any MS L with windows, and that any sort of transparancy in those locations would be useless.  Because of the shine, it looks like patent leather, not natural leather.  I believe that they are not so much pouches, but sort of a flat pocket for holding additional maps, to be pulled out and clipped to the map holder in front of the pilot.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2013, 05:49:36 PM »
theres another possibility bud. all i know is i looked thru my datafile and online to try and find evidence of a "L" with windows and there is no evidence of this. they are odd looking to be pouches i admit that . very shiny,too wrinkled to be a window, and they appear to be black, so why a tinted ,wrinkled window mounted in the fabric sides of this craft the top of which is at shoulder level or below. i just dont see a window, dont know what the hell they are though.

mike in calif

« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2013, 02:28:53 PM »
If they are pouches for maps, might they have an elastic band sewn into the top edge of the pouch as a sort of closure? That would account for the odd reflection.

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2013, 06:19:45 PM »
sure its possible, i just dont see windows when i look at that photo. document pouches seem logical