Author Topic: 1/32 Wingnut Wings AEG IV Early 1125/16 British Markings  (Read 6716 times)

Online RAGIII

Re: 1/32 Wingnut Wings AEG IV Early 1125/16 British Markings
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2018, 12:58:59 AM »
There was a decal sheet by Blue Rider, or perhaps Americal/Gryphon, made for LARGE 1/48th scale aircraft. It had roundels that were far too large for any kit in production. Now OOP of course but perhaps someone here still has them. I traded my set away to Brett Theobald of Roll Models or I would offer them to you. I am almost certain they would be large enough to work.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline fredjocko

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2018, 01:46:55 AM »
Also, would the roundels have the white outer band because they are on a dark surface? From the below picture it looks like there is not the white ring, so would the top be the same or would the ring still be provided. And lastly, would the roundels be painted over the Balkenkreuz or would they remove them or would the roundel cover them up so you wouldn't see them anyway?

Carl, unfortunately this is all I can contribute to your most interesting build... I also have a slightly better version of that photo (but it's to big to post it here), which suggests NO White ring around the cockardes.
Richard

That's a great help. Thank you so much.

Offline fredjocko

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2018, 01:51:54 AM »
There was a decal sheet by Blue Rider, or perhaps Americal/Gryphon, made for LARGE 1/48th scale aircraft. It had roundels that were far too large for any kit in production. Now OOP of course but perhaps someone here still has them. I traded my set away to Brett Theobald of Roll Models or I would offer them to you. I am almost certain they would be large enough to work.
RAGIII

Thank you Rick. I'll have to look for those. I thought Merit's 1/24 SE.5a roundels would have worked; but they are too small. I am basically a lazy person so I'm always looking for the easiest way to do things...oh, well.

Offline GB

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2018, 04:49:02 AM »
I was going to suggest using decals from a Felixstowe kit but I've just measured them at around 85mm!
There are a few companies out there who will knock up bespoke decals - Google will help find them.

Gary

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2018, 04:57:00 AM »
I was going to suggest using decals from a Felixstowe kit but I've just measured them at around 85mm!
There are a few companies out there who will knock up bespoke decals - Google will help find them.

Gary

Melius Manu is one of the very best at this.  He's currently working on some 1/48 Gotha decals for me.

https://www.facebook.com/meliusmanu/

Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Online RAGIII

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2018, 09:01:49 AM »
There was a decal sheet by Blue Rider, or perhaps Americal/Gryphon, made for LARGE 1/48th scale aircraft. It had roundels that were far too large for any kit in production. Now OOP of course but perhaps someone here still has them. I traded my set away to Brent Theobald of Roll Models or I would offer them to you. I am almost certain they would be large enough to work.
RAGIII

Thank you Rick. I'll have to look for those. I thought Merit's 1/24 SE.5a roundels would have worked; but they are too small. I am basically a lazy person so I'm always looking for the easiest way to do things...oh, well.

Offline fredjocko

« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2018, 06:49:15 AM »
Hi:

I didn't realize it has been so long since I last posted. I've been swamped at work and finally had a chance to work on my AEG. I dabbled the grey/green splotches over the lozenge and for the most part I like the affect. A nice Brit sent me some 70mm WWI roundels which I installed on the top wing and here are a few pictures of my progress. I am still looking for some 65mm roundels if anyone has any. I am experimenting in making my own decals but painting the film and cutting them out. Thank you for looking.

Carl

Offline krow113

« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2018, 07:32:51 AM »
Looking good!

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2018, 02:21:30 PM »
 Carl,
Outstanding project my friend. I'm looking forward to more.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Online RAGIII

« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2018, 10:10:44 PM »
The roundels look to be the perfect size. Really nice work on the splotches over the lozenge.
RAGIII

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2018, 06:53:58 AM »
Nice!
There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.

Offline fredjocko

« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2018, 12:47:32 AM »
Hello:

Another slow update. I need to retire or find another job that doesn't require me to work so much. I finally found a circle cutter that can make a consistent and accurate circle that didn't cost an arm and a leg. I painted a sheet of clear decal film have blue and half red and I used a sheet of white decal film for the center of the center of the roundel. I scaled some 1/28 scale roundels which were too small to fit the 65mm wide bottom wing.

In the first picture I placed a 41mm wide white decal circle on the wing. In the same picture you can see the outer blue part of the roundel that was cut 25mm wide (I won't tell you how long it took me to figure out to get the outer ring all I had to do was cut out the 40mm center section). Then I placed the red dot in the center. It is slightly larger than needed, it is suppose to be 15mm wide; but the smallest I could get it with my circle cutter was 15.9mm.

Thank you for looking.
Carl

Offline fredjocko

« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2018, 12:50:31 AM »
Here's the finished product. Because the reds didn't match the roundels on the top wing I cut new circles and covered the existing ones. Now it is on to the interior!!! Hopefully, those pictures will be coming faster.

Thank you for looking,
Carl

Online RAGIII

« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2018, 08:28:20 AM »
The roundels look great! What Circle cutter did you purchase?
RAGIII

Offline fredjocko

« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2018, 08:43:29 PM »
The roundels look great! What Circle cutter did you purchase?
RAGIII

Thank you, Richard. Its the Olfa Circle Cutter. I got mine at Michael's. Joanne's and Hobby Lobby carries them as well. It was $14.00.