Author Topic: Wingnut Wings Release the Albatros B.II Early!  (Read 24909 times)

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
Re: Wingnut Wings Release the Albatros B.II Early!
« Reply #150 on: December 10, 2015, 07:35:47 PM »
By the way, Prze, your Hannover spokes look great! :)

Are they etched as well?

George

Thanks, George. And yes, these are PE parts from a fret dedicated to Spad VII. They just fitted the Hannover size. My point is, that they do not look PE in the photo, but when one looks closer they are flattish. But acceptable, IMHO.
And I am also pretty sure, that those on Zdenko's Albie are PE, too. You can see it quite clearly looking at the centre sections, where the spokes join the aisle - and compare the model with the parts on FE fret in the photo on WNW site.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline the great waldo

« Reply #151 on: December 11, 2015, 07:54:08 AM »
I love the daggy looking exhaust pipe. An original is just up the road from me here in Austria. I might nip down and have another look at it in the war museum.

Cheers

Andrew

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #152 on: December 11, 2015, 07:59:15 AM »
Somewhere on one of my computers I have several great hi-rez interior shots an Austrian buddy of mine took with special permission... I'll have to dig those up...

Offline the great waldo

« Reply #153 on: December 11, 2015, 08:09:27 AM »
I love the daggy looking exhaust pipe. An original is just up the road from me here in Austria. I might nip down and have another look at it in the war museum.

Cheers

Andrew

Take your camera!

Last time I tried that they got a bit stroppy with me, which naturally pissed me off a bit. At least the guys in the Grahame-white hall at Hendon are a bit more amenable.

Cheers

Andrew

Offline szymon

« Reply #154 on: December 11, 2015, 08:16:00 AM »
Where to order in Europe?
Cheers
Martin

Very interesting monograph in English, many detailed pictures, ideal for new Albatross from WNW
Here you can buy:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Albatros-B-II-Piotr-Mrozowski-AERO-PHOTOGALERY-Monograph-ideal-for-model-/151911820385?hash=item235ea66c61:g:yZkAAOSwNphWaciA

Regards
Simon

Offline FarEast

« Reply #155 on: December 11, 2015, 06:42:06 PM »

Cheers

Andrew

If you ask in advance then they can be very helpful - I've been given a close up tour before at several museums, I sent them an email a few weeks before my planned visit and why I was coming and they had the curator meet me and then take me around and behind the lines as it were.

Take your camera!

Last time I tried that they got a bit stroppy with me, which naturally pissed me off a bit. At least the guys in the Grahame-white hall at Hendon are a bit more amenable.

Cheers

Andrew

Offline IvotB

« Reply #156 on: December 12, 2015, 08:44:04 AM »
A miracle has happened: my Albatros B.II arrived today! I got a shipment notice from WnW stating that it had shipped on November 28 (notice was sent to me on December 3rd) and now on December 11 it has arrived. So this time it took 16 days. That is a record. It usually takes between 4 and 6 weeks before a packager arrives from New Zealand. And only 21 euro's of VAT and handling charges which is cheap too. In comparison also a Fokker D.VII Alb with an additional BMW engine sprue arrived today, which also had a shipping notice on November 28 (but recieved thesame day). Although the value stated on the package was lower for this one I had to pay 31 euro's VAT and handling charges. So I don't know why there's this strange difference.

But more important the B.II seems like an excellent kit, like others here have stated already. And I now understand the PE spoked wheels too. They do have square spokes, but they are so small that with some paint they might appear round. Looks very fine to me.

regards,
Ivo

Offline Pgtaylorart

« Reply #157 on: December 12, 2015, 11:58:08 AM »
A miracle has happened: my Albatros B.II arrived today! I got a shipment notice from WnW stating that it had shipped on November 28 (notice was sent to me on December 3rd) and now on December 11 it has arrived. So this time it took 16 days. That is a record. It usually takes between 4 and 6 weeks before a packager arrives from New Zealand. And only 21 euro's of VAT and handling charges which is cheap too. In comparison also a Fokker D.VII Alb with an additional BMW engine sprue arrived today, which also had a shipping notice on November 28 (but recieved thesame day). Although the value stated on the package was lower for this one I had to pay 31 euro's VAT and handling charges. So I don't know why there's this strange difference.

But more important the B.II seems like an excellent kit, like others here have stated already. And I now understand the PE spoked wheels too. They do have square spokes, but they are so small that with some paint they might appear round. Looks very fine to me.

regards,
Ivo

Great, Ivo! I've just started building it, you should join me! :)

George

Offline IvotB

« Reply #158 on: December 12, 2015, 09:33:29 PM »
You might be surprised. I should finish another model first, but the B.II looks very tempting to me. The only downside of a quick start can be that there are after market products not yet availabe. Lukasz already announced timing gear and from a quick view in the kit I think again all the spark plugs are missing. So I would find some suitable spark plugs from taurus.
And with this one I have to tackle rigging with mono line. Not sure if and how many buckles and perhaps eyelets I'm going to need.

regards,
Ivo

Offline Pgtaylorart

« Reply #159 on: December 13, 2015, 01:52:52 AM »
You might be surprised. I should finish another model first, but the B.II looks very tempting to me. The only downside of a quick start can be that there are after market products not yet availabe. Lukasz already announced timing gear and from a quick view in the kit I think again all the spark plugs are missing. So I would find some suitable spark plugs from taurus.
And with this one I have to tackle rigging with mono line. Not sure if and how many buckles and perhaps eyelets I'm going to need.

regards,
Ivo

You bring up some good points about not yet having AM parts, spark plugs, etc., and knowing what all is needed. How many buckles, how to rig, etc. But someone has to go first without the aid of other builds to figure all this stuff out. Maybe I could wait and benefit from the experience of others. Or maybe I can jump in, figure some of this stuff out, and make mistakes that others will benefit from. This is a very helpful group on this forum and I'm sure that if I'm going too far astray on my build log, someone will point out my errors. That's my request, actually. If anyone sees anything in my build that seems wrong, please don't hesitate to let me know! :)

Ultimately, I don't know if my model will be as good or as accurate as it would be if I waited for others to solve some issues. But a big part of the fun for me is the research, learning, and experimentation with new techniques. So it won't be perfect, but it's about the whole process for me more than about a finished model on my shelf.

George
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 01:58:23 AM by Pgtaylorart »

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #160 on: December 15, 2015, 03:03:47 PM »
According to their website Wingnuts seems to have received its re-stock of Albatros B.II and DH9A Post war kits as both are now shown to  be available to purchase.

Great. Both kits are now available the day after the last Christmas postal deadline. Great planning guys. >:(

Mind you the exchange rate means the Albatros at $US 119 is $A 164 today. It can wait.

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #161 on: December 15, 2015, 03:09:51 PM »
I'm with you Dave, I will be steering well clear of the high exchange rates, no Wingnut kits under my Christmas tree this year.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Fokkered Nuts

« Reply #162 on: December 15, 2015, 03:28:48 PM »
I think your a bit to harsh Dave about the planning..

Normally this time of year is quite busy for shipping lines. To me it looks like WNW tried it best to get something here prior.. Hence the limited stocks and it appears that their sea fright has now arrived. If I recall this was done before with the W.29?

I rather WNW takes their time with releases and give us the high quality kits we know and not push them out to "met" Xmas demands that expect a Xmas release.

Since they are here, I may try to see if I can pick one or two before I head back home for Xmas...
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 06:23:09 PM by Fokkered Nuts »

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #163 on: December 15, 2015, 03:44:42 PM »
they also made sure to say there were limited stocks so if one really had to have an albatros b.ii for x-mas it could have been order strait away. it seems like it took about a week to sell out. us agnostic arent to concerned about x-mas so i will order mine when i get the money.

Offline eclarson

« Reply #164 on: December 16, 2015, 01:55:38 AM »
According to their website Wingnuts seems to have received its re-stock of Albatros B.II and DH9A Post war kits as both are now shown to  be available to purchase.

Cool!  Perfect timing at least in my case.  Just placed a pre-order for an Albatros yesterday.    :)

Cheers,
Eric