Author Topic: 1/72 MAC Distribution Phonix DIIa K.U.K Kriegsmarine  (Read 2041 times)

Offline DaveB

1/72 MAC Distribution Phonix DIIa K.U.K Kriegsmarine
« on: May 19, 2021, 04:22:28 AM »
Dear all -

Images of the completed model below.  Thank you all to those who followed my build log - it was lovely to have you follow along the way and was much appreciated.

Unfortunately, I have ended up with the aircraft a bit lopped sided (lent over to port side) but I do not feel inclined to pull undercarriage apart to correct - it would mean ruining the overall finish so will live with it.   I'm generally happy with how it came out for me anyway.

The kit itself is a good little kit that has fitted and gone together really well with no build issues to report.   I'm not a super detailer but the kit from the box is simplified and therefore some obvious details are missing.  However, none of these details were difficult (very basic work on my part) and I am glad I added them as I feel it makes the model look more complete/accurate.

The biggest let down are the kit supplied decals - the worse I have so far encountered - they are pretty much unusable.  This is annoying because this is not a cheap kit (and I was forced to hand paint markings freehand) so I would expect decals that are at least workable.   For this reason, I will probably be reluctant to build another from MAC unless I knew I had others I could use in place of those supplied or the quality was better in the kit.

Anyway, I hope you can forgive freehand painted markings.

Regards

Dave

As we say in fencing, what's the point!

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
Re: 1/72 MAC Distribution Phonix DIIa K.U.K Kriegsmarine
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2021, 04:39:50 AM »
Don't need to forgive you Dave , she turned out super and the camo is very well done . One to be proud of  :) I like the hand painted markings , really gives it a nice touch and is more attuned to how they painted back then , not everything was masked and airbrushed so yes a very nice touch indeed .

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2021, 04:57:32 AM »
I agree with Alexis: sometimes the markings on aircraft were hand painted in the field and they were not usually done with stencils! Similarly individual/personal markings were sometimes a bit crude and not the artistic finish regularly seen on models, so a little bit of individuality is no bad thing. The camouflage is really good and so simple to apply. Overall finish is as usual with your models, as good as any I have seen.

Stephen.

Online WD

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2021, 09:41:52 AM »
I love the camo finish!  I think you overcame a lot of frustrations. I would have binned it out of anger.

WD

Online PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2021, 07:47:12 PM »
Lovely little model!
 Those MAC kits are fine but expensive, I agree. I built two, including Phoenix D.I. And I do not remember any issues with decals. But it was some years ago, maybe they deteriorate in time. Still, the kits are worthy trying, e.g. Roland D.VI is recommendable, too.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2021, 10:25:49 PM »
Wonderful work, Dave. The camo looks great and the wood looks very realistic. I would love to get one in 1:32nd.
Bye, Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2021, 10:59:06 PM »
Lovely results Dave! Your hand Brushing is second to None! You overcame the decal issues in Style! Beautiful Model!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline macsporran

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2021, 12:25:30 AM »
Beautifully made Dave - and great dramatic markings.
I wish there were more Dual Monarchy aircraft models. I used to enjoy making the Sierra 1/48 vacforms but there is little mainstream currently out there.
I hope you are leading a charge!
Sandy

Offline DaveB

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2021, 01:16:14 AM »
Thank you all very kindly!

Alexis/Stephen - I think your both correct here - I guess kit supplied decals lead us into thinking all markings were applied peerfectly when as you say, they may not have been.  I guess this is also true in how paint was applied generally to the aircraft especially in the field when it was necessary just to keep them in the air and not worry about how pretty they looked!

Sandy/Rick/Manni/WD - I really appreciate your kind words regarding my brush painting

Prez - Yes, it may that other kits in their range have better decals - perhaps this particular kit is one of their earlier range and therefore possible MAC have improved them.

Regards

Dave

Offline Mike Norris (UK)

• RAF Old and Bold
    • Mikes WW1 Aircraft Models
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2021, 06:06:27 PM »
Hi Dave,
A striking and well made model of an unusual aircraft.
I especially like the colour scheme you chose,

Mike

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline DaveB

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2021, 02:44:19 AM »
Thanks, Mike!

Regards

Dave

Online gedmundson

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2021, 03:42:11 AM »
Dave, I have to agree with everyone to say well done - your model looks great! The idea of pulling things apart to fix a small flaw is something I've struggled with in the past. Sometimes best to leave things than risk disaster  ;)
Cheers,
Gary

Offline Stuart Malone

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2021, 03:42:07 AM »
Stunning work Dave!

Stuart

Offline Rip Van Winkle

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2021, 03:54:01 AM »
That is a splendid model!  Your build log came in handy as i am building a MAC Phonix D.II. Thanks for contributing.

Offline Fvdm

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2021, 05:10:04 PM »
The freehand painted markings just gives it a little extra. Great job.