Author Topic: AMC DH.2 - Wingnut Wings 1/32  (Read 8668 times)

Offline DaveB

Re: AMC DH.2 - Wingnut Wings 1/32
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2021, 03:55:15 AM »
Good grief - your engine work is amazing!

Love the coiled ignition leads

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point!

Offline mgunns

« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2021, 04:55:03 AM »
Engine looks great.  I like your explanation on how you did the plug wires, very informative.  That engine is going to certainly draw a lot of attention when the model is finished.
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2021, 09:42:54 AM »
I'd like to see a video or three of the engine runs, please!  :o
Zac in NZ

Offline Rafael Berlin

• e^(i*pi)+1 = 0
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2021, 02:38:40 AM »
Thank you very much for your positive feedback  :D

@PrzemoL
300 parts for the Clerget? So if I ever build the Caudron G-III, I now know what will expect me :-\

@macsporran Thanks for the Ballistic Bob episode. I didn't know about it. Oh yes, sometimes I felt exactly like that.  ;D

I'd like to see a video or three of the engine runs, please!  :o

Well, some may know the following assembly video of th Gnôme. It is very helpful and interesting to see position and function of each individual spring, bolt etc. Parts and functions are named. And in the end some nice animation (with sound) of the running motor.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gh3W-9gZXFw

Best Regards
Rafael

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2021, 03:23:03 AM »
Thanks for the link to the video Rafael!

I had never seen this, but it is very cool and informative.

Willem

Offline Fvdm

« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2021, 06:21:47 AM »
That engine is pure art!

Offline Rafael Berlin

• e^(i*pi)+1 = 0
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2021, 11:03:31 PM »
Thank you!

Next part was the part was the propeller. Since I became so much positive feedback for showing detailed steps, I would like to show, how I did the propeller. There seem to be a lot of possibilities for painting it. So this is only an example, which works good for me.

The propeller of my AMC variant is 4-bladed. This makes the work more difficult, because you have to generate similar wood layers not only for 2 but for 4 blades. Blade tips are to be covered with some kind of brass shield.

Let's start with the naked part. Lovely details:
20210109_153856_resized by Rafael Berlin, auf Flickr

The tips were covered with liquid mask (I used Vallejo liquid mask). The main part was sprayed with Tamiya XF-59 Desert Yellow.
20210109_161445_resized by Rafael Berlin, auf Flickr

The liquid mask was removed directly after spraying. For the main color: let it completely dry over night. This is important for the next step.
20210109_162421_resized by Rafael Berlin, auf Flickr

For the wood layers I use watercolor pencils. I'm using pencils from Faber Castell, https://www.faber-castell.com/products/AlbrechtD%c3%bcrerwatercolourpencilpalegeraniumlake/117621. At least in Germany you can buy single colors in hobby shops. In this case I used Light Yellow Ochre and Van-Dyck Brown.
Now you have to paint the wood layers on the prepared propeller. Even if the water pencils are sharpened, the tips are quite soft. Nevertheless, don't press to much. If the Tamiya layer was dry, you have the chance to even correct some mistakes with a rubber eraser. Additional benefit of the watercolor pencils is the good coverage. You can cover brown with ochre.

Unfortunately you still have to paint the layers free-hand. In my case I made 7 wood layers. You always have to make sure, that a dark layer on the front side is stil a dark layer on the backside. It will take you some time.

I suggest to first paint the layers near the hub. There you don't have any deformation. Afterwards proceed with one blade up to the tip. Always take a look from the side, check if the layer's thickness is correct for the entire blade. After you have found a good solution for e.g. the front side, you have to do the same with the backside of that blade. The colors at the edges help you to transfer the pattern from front side to the backside of that blade. Having finished one blade you can copy the pattern to the remaining blades.
20210110_162759_resized by Rafael Berlin, auf Flickr
20210110_162638_resized by Rafael Berlin, auf Flickr
20210110_162659_resized by Rafael Berlin, auf Flickr

In the next step you have to cover the propeller with clear varnish. If I remeber correct, I used the Alclad 2 gloss clear. After drying i put on brown oil color. Brush it in the direction of the wood grain.
20210111_172946_resized by Rafael Berlin, auf Flickr

With white spirit and a small paint brush you can remove the color from propeller tips. And whith white spirit you should remove some of the brown oil color from the light wood layers. This improves the contrast. In this step you still have the chance to coat some smaller errors you made before.
The follwing picture shows the propeller with partially removed oil color from the light wood layer. The left blade is still covered with oil color.
20210111_183055_resized by Rafael Berlin, auf Flickr

Having finished this step, let the propeller dry for a week.

Afterwards I gave the propeller a coat of Tamiya X-26 clrear orange. In the following picture it looks like yellow, but in fact it was orange  ;)
20210117_165132_resized by Rafael Berlin, auf Flickr

Next steps are the hub and the blade tips. I sprayed them black (I think, I used Valleyo Air Color). With the HGW super detail set you also get some perfectly shaped masks. The are fine, but

----------------------------------------------------------------------
DO NOT USE THE ADHESIVE SIDE ON THE PROPELLER!!!
----------------------------------------------------------------------

The adhesion is far too strong and would damage your work. Better way: For the hub just flip the mask to the non-adhesive side, hold it against the propeller and carefully spray with a fine liner nozzle.

Now for the masks for the edges. Actually they were designed for covering the edges. I used them to cover the propeller, letting the edges bare. Just take the mask from the rear side, flip it around in a way that the adhesive side wouldn't stick to the propeller and use it for the front side of the propeller. And vice versa.

The following pic hopefully shows what I mean. The mask sticks to my thumb, not to the propeller. Just use the fine liner nozzle with quite low pressure to do the paint.
20210118_133139_resized by Rafael Berlin, auf Flickr

Result
20210118_133626_resized by Rafael Berlin, auf Flickr
20210118_141126_resized by Rafael Berlin, auf Flickr

In the next step the entire propeller was sprayed with Vallejo satin varnish.

In the last step the hub was dry brushed with some silver clolor (I don't remember which one). The brass edges were sprayed with Alclad II brass with the already explained masking technique.

Here the finished part:
20210118_175606_resized by Rafael Berlin, auf Flickr
20210118_175553_resized by Rafael Berlin, auf Flickr

Front side
20210118_173624_resized by Rafael Berlin, auf Flickr

Back side
20210118_175416_resized by Rafael Berlin, auf Flickr

Thanks for watching
Rafael

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2021, 11:20:04 PM »
 :-X

Willem

Online RAGIII

« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2021, 11:36:18 PM »
Your prop looks fabulous. Thanks for showing your processes!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Monty

« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2021, 12:40:48 AM »
An absolutely fabulous engine and good looking, prop, Rafael! Well done! Marc.

Offline Von Salza

« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2021, 08:08:12 AM »
Brilliant effect, Rafael. Thanks for the guide.
What is the advantage of waterpelcils over normal pencils in such tasks?

Offline Dave Brewer

« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2021, 09:37:31 AM »
Outstanding progress Rafael, amazing work!
Cheers,
Dave.

Offline RichieW

« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2021, 08:17:07 PM »
Beautiful work Rafael, that prop is fantastic.

Richie

Offline Europapete

« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2021, 11:04:14 PM »
Just found this, what an absolutely awesome build! Well Done. Regards, Pete in RI

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2021, 11:48:17 AM »
Lovely work on the prop  :)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .