Author Topic: My WnW Inventory  (Read 8721 times)

Dekenba

Re: My WnW Inventory
« Reply #60 on: September 25, 2014, 08:19:39 AM »
Interesting! The Albatros & D.VII both had very colourful, cool camouflage & markings, especially compared to British types, so I'm not surprised that they are so popular. Surprised that the Pfalz D.IIIa is so popular - maybe down to the great box art & camo finishes perhaps?

Scouts are significantly cheaper than 2 seaters, so that explains that variation. The Albatros OAW is a victim of the huge popularity of the earlier versions, especially with the Fokker's being available at the same time.

Seventeen kits each is shocking. Really amazingly high number, we seem to be collectors as well as builders!

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #61 on: September 25, 2014, 08:59:28 AM »
Bo, I hate to skew your numbers, but you can add another vote for the OAW Alby since my stash just grew by one such kit this very afternoon.
I think it may be least popular only because it's the newest.  I'm hoping they fixed the banana disease on this one.  I'll let y'all know.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #62 on: September 25, 2014, 09:49:17 AM »
Bo,
I find the results interesting. Like others I am a little surprised at the strong performance of the Pfalz. As for the DV family I am not too surprised as that has always seemed to be the Sort of Favorite German Aircraft for years in any scale. Thanks fort taking the time to tabulate this "Useless" information! I hope you continue to update the results from time to time  ;D
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline rhallinger

Re: My WnW Inventory: some useless but interesting stats
« Reply #63 on: September 25, 2014, 11:04:45 AM »

Most Kits
erm...  :-[, me with 44 then Ermeio with 39

Ummm, . . .  guess I'd better go make my list up.  I think I will surpass you Bo. :o

Be back n a bit. ;)

Gulp,

Bob

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #64 on: September 25, 2014, 01:07:51 PM »
Very interesting Bo. The fact that the number of WNW kits I own falls significantly below the average must surely convince Ena that I need more.

Of course, what we really want to know are the numbers that WNW have themselves in their unbuilt stash.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline stefanbuss

« Reply #65 on: September 25, 2014, 07:14:06 PM »
Bo,
thanks for putting together all those numbers.

@all:
I find those huge stacks of WNW kits rather surprising. Where do you take all that money from to buy so many kits? I personally have to "live on a budget" of fifty Euro per month for anything hobby related (there is simply no more money available) - this includes kits, aftermarket stuff, reference material. And if I decide to buy one interesting book (let's say the latest title on JaSta 30), nearly one monthly budget is gone. Not so much oppertunity to get those stashes together (although I would like to, really).

Stefan

Offline GrahamB

« Reply #66 on: September 25, 2014, 07:20:09 PM »
Paltry by most standards:

Sopwith Pup RNAS  - built
Sopwith Pup RFC - built
Junkers J.1
Roland C.II Walfisch early  -built
Roland DVIb
DH.2
Fokker EII/III early
LVG C.VI  (build abandoned?)
Hannover CL.II
Hansa Brandenburg W.29
Albatros D.V
Pfalz D.XII
Rumpler C.IV

Not interested in Fokker D.VII (the Bf 109/Spitfire/Mustang kit of WW1). Still, plenty to do and I've the SH Morane N, Avia Fokker E.V, Roden Dr.1 and D.VI in stock as well.

Cheers

GrahamB

Offline rolanddvi

« Reply #67 on: September 25, 2014, 09:20:57 PM »
Very well said Red Baron. My job also allows me to buy WNW kits but it seems like I just never have time to sit down and build! One day when I retire again..........

Mike

Offline petrov27

« Reply #68 on: September 25, 2014, 10:36:39 PM »
Same - stocking up on these kits as currently I can - it is not likely I will be able do so forever so might as well do it now. Also not sure the WNW kits will be available forever, especially in this format (the basic kits) - I know they have said there will be deluxe versions in the future but I may not want those and they will be more costly.

It helps that I am single, no kids, do not travel, do not have an expensive house, etc.
-Patrick

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #69 on: September 25, 2014, 10:39:37 PM »
The problem with accumulating a stash is that interests change over time. I built AFVs exclusively for well over 30 years but in the last three years I've become enthralled with aircraft, and WWI aircraft in particular. Don't think it will never happen!

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #70 on: September 25, 2014, 11:25:04 PM »
   Bear with the philosophical musings of an "old F--t" who opened his first Kit more then 60 years ago...............   
   Some really good points coming out here. I'd venture to say that most (if not all of us) have, or will ultimately be, in the situation of conflict between the time to indulge in our Hobby as opposed to the ability to afford the subjects and support material. The number of middle to advanced age Hobbyists returning after long interludes brought on by marriage, families to support, and occupational demands that limit leisure activity is a very large part of our total numbers.
    I spent decades in a high demand occupation coincident with raising a demanding "Brood" of three Sons; for years I was a "closet modeller" keeping up with the hobby through magazines and collecting basics, a modest stash, and a reference resource for the day when I'd have time to enjoy them. Once semi retired and now fully retired and reasonably secure I can enjoy my passion for WWI Aviation and have the resources to support that activity. From what I'm observing in our little circle the majority are of the same group socially: that is of advanced years, mature empty nesters, and have recently been able to become active in the Hobby after years of hard work and/or Family responsibilities.
   I guess what I'm saying is don't feel guilty about your stash or regret your lack of time to work on it, or even the fact that you can't afford one, time will even most if not all of that out. Enjoy what you can in the present and prepare for the good times further down the road. Oh yes, and take it from many of us at the older end of the spectrum, in the game of life and in the Hobby of Modelling, you'll never build them all! (but he who passes on with the biggest stash wins!!) ;)
Cheers, my Friends,
Lance

« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 12:00:55 AM by lcarroll »

Dekenba

« Reply #71 on: September 25, 2014, 11:28:30 PM »
Well, having spent years getting qualified as a Chartered Accountant, then doing an MBA, then setting up on my own, my modelling stash is my reward to myself. I'm not into flash cars or fancy watches or any of that nonsense and, as a married, teetotal vegan, there is not much else to safely spend my money on!!!

Offline petrov27

« Reply #72 on: September 26, 2014, 12:32:01 AM »
The problem with accumulating a stash is that interests change over time. I built AFVs exclusively for well over 30 years but in the last three years I've become enthralled with aircraft, and WWI aircraft in particular. Don't think it will never happen!

Cheers,

Chris

This is definitely the case, though for subject matter, I have been building and interested in WW1 modeling since grade school (still remember building the revell DrI and SPAD in a diorama for a school project)

Where my interests have migrated is in scale - I was first heavy into 1/72 and built up a large collection including oddities from Czechmaster etc. - built maybe 50% of that stash. Then moved on to 1/48 when Eduard hit the scene and started doing top notch injection kits. Those years were super busy for me and not much was built - maybe 10% of the stash ever was finished. When Roden started doing 1/32nd kits I decided that was the scale and size for me and I sold off the 1/48 stash at a fairly good amount in return. When WNW burst onto the scene it was super exciting as they were delivering to exactly what I wanted. Before WNW my stash was around six kits - now its a closet full :)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 12:49:07 AM by petrov27 »
-Patrick

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #73 on: September 26, 2014, 08:35:31 AM »
Bo,
Thanks for updating the list although I think you did it just to get out of that largest HOARD thing  :-\ Again not surprising to me that the Albatros Family is the largest number in our collections! Also not too surprising that the DVII ranks second. So many schemes and plenty of good decal sheets out there! The Roland and Snipe I do find interesting in that the Roland wasn't produced in HUGE numbers and the Snipe is Limited in Marking options to a degree and only saw service for a limited time in the WAR. ( The colorful post war schemes could account for some of the popularity as well as the excellent engineering).
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline rolanddvi

« Reply #74 on: September 26, 2014, 09:54:19 AM »
My WNW stash:

Currently working on (At the speed of super slooooooooow-motion!) - Sopwith Pup RNAS

Stash -
Alb. D.Va x 2
Alb D.Va OAW
Alb. D.V
DFW C.IV Early
Fokker D.VII
Fokker D.VII ALB
Fokker D.VII OAW x 2
Fokker D.VIIF
Hannover Cl.II
LVG C.VI
Pfalz D.IIIa
Pfalz D.XII
Roland C.IIa Late
Roland D.VIa
Roland D.Vb
Rumpler C.IV Early
AMC DH9
Bristol F2b
DH9a Ninak
RE-8
SE5a Hisso
Salmson 2A-2
Sopwith Pup RNAS
Sopwith Pup RFC
Sopwith Snipe
Sopwith Triplane

I would like to think that if I live to 85-90 I just might get half of them built. However, as WNW keeps putting out more kits I'm starting to wonder. I may have to speed up to regular slow motion. In the meantime I will keep telling myself I can do this when I retire for good.... :D

Mike