Author Topic: Latest acquisition in your collection  (Read 367107 times)

Offline eindecker

• The penultimate word in scale modeling since 1956
    • Models In Scale
Re: Latest acquisition in your collection
« Reply #615 on: July 30, 2014, 07:05:17 AM »
That was my second WnW kit. I have a good solution for the infamous aileron gap. Easy. Might require you to consume a bottle of good wine for the raw materials though...

Michael Scott
Author of "The Q Fragments" http://Http://theqfragments.com & Amazon for paperback and Kindle.

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #616 on: July 30, 2014, 10:20:44 AM »
Yes Bo, the same thoughts I had.

But it is and remains a very, very ugly plane in my eyes...... ::)

Servus
Bertl
I agree with Bo's hunch with the Biff not far behind.  Ugly, yes, but oddly attractive, non the less.  I know a few women like that.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #617 on: July 30, 2014, 11:10:59 AM »
This book was delivered today, I purchased it from England and it arrived here in 6 days, good service. I bought this book to help me with my, hopefully, next scratch build. Not a huge book but 80 pages of facts and a lot of photos. The book is used but in reasonably good condition, published 1990.

Des.

Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline TomR1981

« Reply #618 on: July 30, 2014, 08:07:42 PM »
Spotted this while picking up some shopping last night. It covers the Sopwith range comprehensively. I'd never heard of the Sopwith Sociable before for example, it was built for Winston Churchill. I think it'll be good reference material.

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #619 on: July 30, 2014, 11:03:43 PM »
Hello tom

Yes, I picked up a copy of this a short while ago and thought it excellent value for money. Given it's relatively narrow focus, let's hope we see further volumes. My guess would be that something focusing on Fokker aircraft, but I so wish that we could see something on photo-reconnaissance, artillery spotting etc. after all, the activities of the  'Knights of the Sky' were surely a means to an end rather than an end in itself?

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #620 on: July 31, 2014, 01:30:35 AM »
This book was delivered today, I purchased it from England and it arrived here in 6 days, good service. I bought this book to help me with my, hopefully, next scratch build. Not a huge book but 80 pages of facts and a lot of photos. The book is used but in reasonably good condition, published 1990.

Here's hoping it provides the photos and plans you'll need for the project.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline eindecker

• The penultimate word in scale modeling since 1956
    • Models In Scale
« Reply #621 on: July 31, 2014, 02:51:48 AM »
Hello tom

Yes, I picked up a copy of this a short while ago and thought it excellent value for money. Given it's relatively narrow focus, let's hope we see further volumes. My guess would be that something focusing on Fokker aircraft, but I so wish that we could see something on photo-reconnaissance, artillery spotting etc. after all, the activities of the  'Knights of the Sky' were surely a means to an end rather than an end in itself?

Best wishes
Nigel

True. Without the observation and artillery spotting aircraft, there would have been no need for the single seat fighters. The two-seaters were the workhorses of the air war, were responsible for major ground decisions (observation) and more casualties (spotting) than the little fighters. They got most of the death and destruction and little of the glory.

So, when the Harry Tate becomes available once again, I'll be getting at least one. Stupid on my part to delay.
Michael Scott
Author of "The Q Fragments" http://Http://theqfragments.com & Amazon for paperback and Kindle.

Offline TomR1981

« Reply #622 on: July 31, 2014, 04:38:07 AM »
Hello tom

Best wishes
Nigel

True. Without the observation and artillery spotting aircraft, there would have been no need for the single seat fighters. The two-seaters were the workhorses of the air war, were responsible for major ground decisions (observation) and more casualties (spotting) than the little fighters. They got most of the death and destruction and little of the glory.

So, when the Harry Tate becomes available once again, I'll be getting at least one. Stupid on my part to delay.

I agree completely. I'm a huge fan of the two seaters, Schlachtflieger is one of my best purchases as it concentrates on them but I would love to see a whole lot more. I hope we see more of this type of thing pop up over the next few years now that it's the centenary of WWI.

As far as the Harry Tate goes I was quite surprised it sold out, although I probably should have suspected it. Luckily I have one in the stash. Will probably have to pick up a couple of DFWs too.

Offline Jacek

« Reply #623 on: August 01, 2014, 12:40:48 AM »
My third Nieuport, workshop shortly :)

Offline radio

« Reply #624 on: August 01, 2014, 02:21:19 AM »
New models:
 Eduard Fokker D.VII (FOK)
 Eduard Nieuport 11
 Eduard Albatros D.III
 Fly Roland D.VIb
 Special Hobby Pfalz D.XII (Late)  ;D
Martin

Offline GrahamB

« Reply #625 on: August 01, 2014, 10:21:45 AM »
Just arrived on my doorstep - DFW CV Late.

One incredible package - perhaps the most complex WNW model I have had (no Gotha though). DFW, LVG, Halberstadt and Aviatik options in the cowlings, louvres etc. It will be one for intense concentration on the instructions with many (option-based) holes to drill, notches to cut out etc.The photos in the instructions are amazing too. I am tempted to do option A (DFW)  or C (Halb) - may be both eventually! Have Methuen so can use Dan-San's call-outs for the various colours.

I also picked up the DH.2 from the Wellington model shop to help keep these places open - bad news this week as my favorite bookshop, Capital Books, is to close because of competition from the interweb etc.

Thinking of concentrating on 1914-1916 British-used types (bring on the Avro 504, BE.2,  Morane N, BB, LL, Caudron G.3) and German 2-seaters.

Now to get back to my drooling - pass the Kleenex.

Cheers,

GrahamB

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #626 on: August 05, 2014, 10:47:48 AM »
Got these over the past couple weeks.  I had been looking for that Hasagawa Le Rhone since getting back into the hobby nearly 5 years ago.  Finally spotted one on ebay and was the only bidder.  Got it cheap.  The Anatra was a Model Imex close out.  Normally 82 bucks, got it for 24.  That other box came direct from En Zed, 7 days from order to delivery.  Amazing!  Kudos to Dave and crew.

Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Online RAGIII

« Reply #627 on: August 05, 2014, 11:35:17 AM »
Kudos to all for their latest purchases! Bud, Looks like I am going to be right behind you on that Pfalz! Perhaps a future Dual build. You do the 1/32nd WNW and Eduard 1/48th and I will do the WNW and Roden in 1/32nd  ::)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #628 on: August 05, 2014, 12:00:55 PM »
Kudos to all for their latest purchases! Bud, Looks like I am going to be right behind you on that Pfalz! Perhaps a future Dual build. You do the 1/32nd WNW and Eduard 1/48th and I will do the WNW and Roden in 1/32nd  ::)
RAGIII
Sounds like a plan, Amigo.
Cheers,
Bud

Offline jknaus

« Reply #629 on: August 06, 2014, 02:42:48 AM »
This came today.

And this came a little while ago.

James