Author Topic: Latest acquisition in your collection  (Read 367123 times)

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
Re: Latest acquisition in your collection
« Reply #135 on: December 26, 2012, 12:50:54 PM »
Chris,
         Didnt know youre a Civil War fan. Wheelers Witness to Gettysburg and Foote's Stars in Their Courses in the Library? Hope so theyre fabulous. Anyway, those are great reads you received...and great kits too!!!

Steve

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #136 on: December 26, 2012, 01:29:17 PM »
Chris,
   Well done, should keep you entertained for some time! It's always great when folks take the care and time to ensure the gift fits the reciever; you must be well loved and cared about. Like you I could not believe how many wonderful items were under the tree, I suspect your Spouse, as did mine, had a little to do do with it!
   Here's to another great year of good projects, better results, and perfection in the enjoyment of the Hobby!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #137 on: December 26, 2012, 02:18:29 PM »
Hello, Everyone,

Another Christmas report, and a good one for me:

The Tripe is a no-brainer for me: Collishaw, Black Flight. The OAW DVII will, in due course, be another Canadian-oriented model: used by 1 Squadron, Canadian Air Force in England, 1919. Just have to sort out the markings. The Aeroclub bezels will come in handy for the four WNW kits in my loft right now.

Chris, we must get together to discuss the US Civil War. In another life, I've conducted several battlefield tours to Gettysburg, probably the best Civil War battlefield in the States. And it's only about 11 hours from my front door. Good books you've got there, my friend. If you wish, I might be able to aim you toward a few other good ones along the Gettysburg line.

Best Wishes to all for a very Happy New Year!  8)
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #138 on: December 26, 2012, 10:36:00 PM »
It's funny how our interests often overlap.  My mother was born and grew up in Gettysburg, and I visted my grandparents there often as a child in the 1960s, and ended up going to college there.  I spent a lot of time on the battlefield.  I live about 50 miles away now.  Gary, if you haven't been down since the new battlefield park Visitors Center opened a few years ago, it's worth the trip.  The old cyclorama mural painting has been restored and is now in the Visitors Center.  First Class all the way.

On a related note, I recommend William Frassanito's "Gettysburg: A Journey In Time," an interesting study of the Brady and Gardner photographs of the battlefield.  Fraz was a fraternity brother and frat advisor while I was at Gettysburg College in the late 1970s.  His specialty is Civil War photographs, and he has also published books on the photos of Antietam and the Wilderness Campaign.  Interesting stuff.

Well, I guess I've wandered far enough off topic to be flagged, but at least it's military history! ;)  I'll try for a save here:

My latest aquisitions include the WNW Tripe, Fokkers and the Hannover, all securely tucked away in the stash.  I just ordered some figures last week: the RFC pilot from MDC to go with my impending Pup night trainer, and a wonerdful figure of Georges Guynemer for whenever I get to his Nieuport or SPAD also in the stash. ;D

Regards,

Bob

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #139 on: December 27, 2012, 12:53:18 AM »
Loved that book Killer Angels.

I've heard nothing but good things about it and am looking forward to it.

Didnt know youre a Civil War fan. Wheelers Witness to Gettysburg and Foote's Stars in Their Courses in the Library? Hope so theyre fabulous. 

I'm a fairly recent student for about a year now. Thus far I'm most interested in the Army of Northern Virginia, but I find Nathan Bedford Forest, Hood, and Moseby particularly fascinating too. I don't have either of the books you've mentioned, but shall add them to my 'wish list' for when gift giving time rolls around again.

Like you I could not believe how many wonderful items were under the tree, I suspect your Spouse, as did mine, had a little to do do with it!

They insist that I maintain that 'wish list' I mentioned above. Evidently, I'm hard to buy for!

Chris, we must get together to discuss the US Civil War. In another life, I've conducted several battlefield tours to Gettysburg, probably the best Civil War battlefield in the States. And it's only about 11 hours from my front door. Good books you've got there, my friend. If you wish, I might be able to aim you toward a few other good ones along the Gettysburg line.

E-mail will follow Gary!

I recommend William Frassanito's "Gettysburg: A Journey In Time," an interesting study of the Brady and Gardner photographs of the battlefield.  Fraz was a fraternity brother and frat advisor while I was at Gettysburg College in the late 1970s.  His specialty is Civil War photographs, and he has also published books on the photos of Antietam and the Wilderness Campaign.  Interesting stuff.

I'll look into that one too Bob. Thanks!

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #140 on: December 27, 2012, 01:14:38 AM »
It's funny how our interests often overlap... Gary, if you haven't been down since the new battlefield park Visitors Center opened a few years ago, it's worth the trip.  The old cyclorama mural painting has been restored and is now in the Visitors Center.  First Class all the way.

On a related note, I recommend William Frassanito's "Gettysburg: A Journey In Time," an interesting study of the Brady and Gardner photographs of the battlefield.  Fraz was a fraternity brother and frat advisor while I was at Gettysburg College in the late 1970s.  His specialty is Civil War photographs, and he has also published books on the photos of Antietam and the Wilderness Campaign.  Interesting stuff.

My latest aquisitions include the WNW Tripe, Fokkers and the Hannover, all securely tucked away in the stash.  I just ordered some figures last week: the RFC pilot from MDC to go with my impending Pup night trainer, and a wonerdful figure of Georges Guynemer for whenever I get to his Nieuport or SPAD also in the stash. ;D

Regards,

Bob

Bob,

My last visit was with a tour in 2004. I'd kill to get down again, especially for the new Center and to see the field as it looks with the removal of non-historic vegetation work generally located in the southern area around Devil's Den.

Got the Frassanito book, along with Coddington, Phanz, Martin, Wert, Sears, Georg... I've always had a fatal attraction to Gettysburg since I visited as a teenager in the early 1960's with my parents. Taking mililtary personnel there as part of professional development training (you'd be surprised at how much is still relevant today!) was a great pleasure for me during my Army years (an Army guy? Building aircraft models?? Go figure!!). Perhaps we can meet as and when I revisit the field. Maybe discuss the merits of Stuart and Buford (I was armoured reconnaissance while in uniform!)  ;)

Anyway, I digress! Fokkers, Biffs, Hannovers, Triplanes, bezels, aftermarket items, Vickers, 08/15s...there: I've just snuck back into the good graces of our Moderator...I hope! Best wishes for a very Happy New Year!  ;D
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

WarrenD

« Reply #141 on: December 27, 2012, 09:11:59 AM »
How interesting, I wasn't aware there were many CW fans here. One of my old professors assigned Killer Angels as reading for one of his classes. That book re-kindled my passion in the period so much so, that I started reenacting back in '81. Long story short, recreating the 19th c. is something I practiced both as an avocation and vocation off an on for 30 years give or take. I wrapped it up this last year in doing work (and stunt work) for two NPS films (Chickamauga-Chattanooga and Kennesaw Mtn.) Advancing age and a body that does not resemble that of a young man, nor reacts like one has forced me to do all of my work in miniature for now on. (FWIW, I spent some time doing WWII as well. I put together a WWI impression twice, but sold both off due to "real life".)
I do confess to getting one model kit for Christmas this year to add to the "collection" or more accurately "the wall of shame".  When I figure out how to post images here, I'll put up some shots of my man cave and part of the "shame".

Warren

WarrenD

« Reply #142 on: December 27, 2012, 09:18:02 AM »
"Got the Frassanito book, along with Coddington, Phanz, Martin, Wert, Sears, Georg... I've always had a fatal attraction to Gettysburg since I visited as a teenager in the early 1960's with my parents. Taking mililtary personnel there as part of professional development training (you'd be surprised at how much is still relevant today!) was a great pleasure for me during my Army years (an Army guy? Building aircraft models?? Go figure!!). Perhaps we can meet as and when I revisit the field. Maybe discuss the merits of Stuart and Buford (I was armoured reconnaissance while in uniform!)  ;)"

Gary,
        One thing that always kept me from pursuing a commission during my stay with the ARNG was the constant line I got from friends and acquaintances (active and reserve component) who were going through ROTC, recently commissioned, etc. when I asked them why they were not interested in studying any military history that occurred before WWII was "It's not relevant", or "There's nothing for me to learn there", etc., etc.  :o :oSeriously?  I'd ask them if this was what they were being told by their superiors. Sadly, in many cases, it was. I knew then that being in that crowd was not for me.  :'( :'(

Apologies to all concerned if I've hijacked the thread.  :-X :-X

Warren

Offline Epeeman

« Reply #143 on: December 29, 2012, 07:02:45 AM »
Oh Joy!

After waiting for just over a month, my Wingnut Wings order finally arrived (after paying 17 quid in import duty) this evening.   

so now I have the WNW Fokker DVII (Fok) and SE5a.   Opening both boxes does not disappoint - they both look good and was tough to decide which one to start work on - but the Fok DVII has won the day!  I hope to make a small start tomorrow afternoon/evening. 

Getting these has been a boost after my Roden Spad VII disaster and has really wet my appetite for model building again.  I really did appreciated all the moral boosting comments following that disaster - so thank you all, folks!

Looking at the Fok DVII sprues, I note that many of the parts are molded very fine so great care will needed on my part during assembly.

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point?

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #144 on: December 29, 2012, 07:51:19 AM »
Very glad to hear you're back Dave!  I haven't seen any other WNW Fokker D.VII build postings yet, so you may be leading the way here. ;)  I look forward to learning from your experience, and to seeing one of these beauties take form. 

Regards,

Bob

WarrenD

« Reply #145 on: December 29, 2012, 08:18:21 AM »
As Bob said, glad to see you're back in good form Dave.

Warren

Offline LindsayT

• "Somehow it didn't seem like war at all..."
« Reply #146 on: December 31, 2012, 11:57:23 AM »
O.M.F.G. I can't believe it. I'm still shaking. I just slapped down the plastic on my first WnW kits!

A beautiful Sopwith Pup RNAS and Roland DVIa are winging their way across the pond to my fat little hands. I wish you guys knew what a big deal this was. I have trouble spending $0.99 on an app in iTunes. Dropping money on (admittedly the two cheapest) kits is a very big step for me.

I feel like a 13 year old girl waiting for the Bieber concert. You'll hear my girly screams when I get the kits.

LT

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #147 on: December 31, 2012, 12:30:04 PM »
O.M.F.G. I can't believe it. I'm still shaking. I just slapped down the plastic on my first WnW kits!

A beautiful Sopwith Pup RNAS and Roland DVIa are winging their way across the pond to my fat little hands. I wish you guys knew what a big deal this was. I have trouble spending $0.99 on an app in iTunes. Dropping money on (admittedly the two cheapest) kits is a very big step for me.

I feel like a 13 year old girl waiting for the Bieber concert. You'll hear my girly screams when I get the kits.

LT

Lindsay,
    Good on you, I know you'll enjoy them immensely. Suggest the Pup first, not too complicated and, IMHO, one of their very best releases, a joy of a build. I look forward to following your Build here.
Cheers,
Lance :)

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #148 on: December 31, 2012, 11:47:48 PM »

I'm sure you'll find that it was money well spent Lindsay. I'll second Lance's suggestion to start with the Pup first as it's an almost effortless build. Take your time with it and you'll thoroughly enjoy yourself.

What's an app?  ;D  ;D

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #149 on: January 04, 2013, 05:29:03 AM »
Well done Lindsay, you will not be disappointed with your purchases, as others have said, build the Pup first, it will give you some very valuable building experience without being overly complicated and yet builds to be a beautiful model. I'm looking forward to seeing your first build progress photos here in the near future.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com