Author Topic: Breguet 14 Scissors and Planes 1/100 - Brigada Militar do Rio Grande do Sul  (Read 3617 times)

Offline gomidefilho

Re: Breguet 14 Scissors and Planes 1/100 - Brigada Militar do Rio Grande do Sul
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2023, 11:31:32 AM »
Thanks

In this week more updates :)

Offline gomidefilho

« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2023, 06:48:39 AM »
Well friends, we are summarizing the construction of the Breguet 14.

In this busy month, I only had an hour a night (sometimes less) to work on the model, we did some details in scratchbuiding, using colored paper in the pulp, the first was to create "shadow boxes" in the holes in the cockpit that help hide the even without details (I had thought about reducing the detailed cockpit of the 1/33 scale model edited by the Fitters but I felt lazy, so I decided to use this technique invented by Brent (very know modeller in Papermodelling Comunnity) in his biplane repaints. The "boxes" were formed and then the exceptions They were cut with castroviejo surgical scissors.

With the cockpits installed, we inserted a bar made from 400g cardboard that served as internal reinforcement for the lower wings . This helps with the bonding area between the fuselage and wing, which is very small and runs the risk of warping over time.

We also prepared the frames for the holes in the cockpits with colored paper.

One very interesting thing about the use of the Breguet 14 by the "Military Brigade of the State of Rio Grande do Sul" is that they were not actually armed. The BM-1 which was possibly a Breguet XVIA-2 had its machine guns removed as well as bomb hangers. The reason was simple: The 1923 conflict did not have a static front line like in World War I, on the contrary, the rebel and loyalist troops moved on horses in a type of regimental composition that was known in Rio Grande do Sul in the past as "Pickets", so these troops were highly mobile, attacking and moving quickly. The Breguet 14s were then used for reconnaissance. The modification we made to the back was made in the field, as it increased the area of ​​the machine gunner for an observer and he eventually threw small locally manufactured bombs that had a moral effect and the objective was to scare the horses, which made life very difficult for the rebels. In addition to animals, men were also sometimes terrified because many, simple people, from working in the fields, had never seen an airplane and were not even aware that man could fly. Sometimes a simple blow to the column was enough to send the rebel soldiers into disarray.

Many of these missions were carried out on the western border of Rio Grande do Sul, which extended the flight of these fragile devices beyond their possibilities.

In this map of the time, you can see how the missions took off from Porto Alegre or Gravatai and headed west, covering more than 400 km, but we will tell you in detail in the next update.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2024, 12:01:55 AM by gomidefilho »

Offline gomidefilho

« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2023, 07:12:00 AM »
I take this opportunity to wish a merry Christmas my friends! Health, prosperity, all the Best! For you and families!

Offline gomidefilho

« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2023, 12:26:26 AM »
Hello friends!

Continuing with the general construction of the Breguet , the trailing edge, without breaking the paper fiber with the folding of the sides, was made with a groove-making tool, which is used in artistic confectionery to cut chocolate sheets and also in sculpture to separate the dough (like American paste - biscuit). The wings were glued using UHU vinyl glue, ideal for this type of gluing of large surfaces as it prevents deformation of the paper.

We prepare the tail pieces by gluing cardboard reinforcements that help maintain the rope and make gluing easier.

In this case, as the fold line of the faces is at the trailing edge, we use a blunt #11 surgical blade to make the fold, as it produces the fold groove at an angle of 90º.

With these pieces drying, we glue the wings to the fuselage and internal reinforcement bars, for a uniform gluing, we use mini-fasteners which are generally purchased at stationery stores or craft stores, I have a multitude of them in various sizes and shapes for these collages.

We glue the tail, always keeping an eye on the dihedral (which in this case is 0 angle for everything) and let it dry. The next step is to prepare a gluing jig for the struts and the top wing. :)

Online Davos522

« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2023, 12:01:36 PM »
Péricles - very clean and elegant workmanship. This is going to be a beautiful model when you complete it, and thanks again for including the history & maps... very interesting, and a great addition to your posts.

Dutch
PS - I'm curious, might the gentleman you mention be Brent Theobald? If so, he was a long-time member of the old WWI Modeler's Mailing List that some of us belonged to.

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2023, 03:40:45 PM »
Very, very nice progress!  Amazing with this size...Dan ;)

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2023, 07:01:40 AM »
Not only a gorgeous model but a fascinating history lesson as well. I eagerly await the next chapter!
Zac in NZ

Offline gomidefilho

Péricles - very clean and elegant workmanship. This is going to be a beautiful model when you complete it, and thanks again for including the history & maps... very interesting, and a great addition to your posts.

Dutch
PS - I'm curious, might the gentleman you mention be Brent Theobald? If so, he was a long-time member of the old WWI Modeler's Mailing List that some of us belonged to.

Thanks my friend! I try make a contextualization in all of my subjects for future. About Brent, my friend is Brent Vander Hoeck, a canadian papermodeler and skilled repainter. A great friend and modeller.

Offline gomidefilho

Very, very nice progress!  Amazing with this size...Dan ;)

Thanks Dan! My inspiration is you work too. Clean, beautiful and precise  ;D

Offline gomidefilho

Not only a gorgeous model but a fascinating history lesson as well. I eagerly await the next chapter!

Thanks! The next chapter:

Installation of struts
Building Jig

History: Pilots and Operations of Breguet BM-1 in 1923 revolution. ;)

Online Davos522

Thanks, I'll have to look Mr. van der Hoeck's work up, being somewhat partial to Dutch names :)

Looking forward to the next chapter!

Dutch

Offline NigelR

I'm not a paper plane builder but I admire greatly the amazing work you guys do with these paper kits. This is another great example, lovely work all round.

Offline gomidefilho

Thanks my friends!

I make a upper wing in the last night, in this weekend I produced more progress and show to all.

8)

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
I'm excited to see it!
Zac in NZ

Offline gomidefilho

« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2024, 12:32:58 PM »
Thank's Zac!  ;D