Author Topic: 1/72 DH2  (Read 5046 times)

Offline Yorki1960

1/72 DH2
« on: July 17, 2012, 06:01:06 PM »
This was built more for honing my rigging skills. To my wife...pls pls can I get a compressor... my painting skills with a brush are not the best.

Didnt like the Lewis gun that came with the kit, so a search of the internet turned up a dimensional drawing and using my 3D CAD system I modelled a full size Lewis gun, reduced this to 1/72 scale and then 3D printed the reduced file, much better than the kit supplied gun.

I never put pilots in my models, so I have a very bare cockpit. Another search turned up a manufacturing drawing for a wicker seat D2128. My trusty 3D CAD is being put to good use yet again. Hope to get it finished soon as its quite fiddly modelling all that wicker work.

Offline Yorki1960

Re: 1/72 DH2
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 06:05:42 PM »
An early start at work and I have got the chair finished. Just need to reduce the full size model to 1/72 ( though I can reduce it to any required scale) an get a sample printed.

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 06:42:20 PM »
Very nice.
Do you own a 3D printer or does this come as a perk with the job?

Thanks for sharing.

BVB

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 06:44:44 PM »
You are mad, my friend, a DH2 in 72 scale...
I am even more insane: I got the Revell 1/144 and look forward to the day I'll start it... I can't imagine the rigging process!
In any case you did a very good work seen the small scale ...

How do you intend to proceed to recreate the seat?

Offline Yorki1960

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 09:12:42 PM »
Ha 3D printing comes via on of my suppliers. Though I do have to wait untill a batch of material has passed its sell by date in the printing tank.

Offline Carpo

• A gallery of my Models
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 09:21:57 PM »
Are you using Shapeways for your printing? I have some parts printed by them which I find to be quite neat.
Carpo
The air force will always need technicians because pilots need heroes too.

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 01:56:15 AM »
Great job on the DH2 rigging, Yorki.  Can't wait to see how that seat turns out.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2012, 01:57:00 AM »
ok, just climbed off my dinosaur and dropped my club on the still coolong earth - parts - printed ?......

Steve

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2012, 02:09:30 AM »
Yeah Steve... been around for many years but is just starting to go "mainstream." There are many technologies, the most useful for stuff that interests us is "SLA" -- stereo lithography. A part is designed with CAD software. It needs to be processed so that it is build able -- certain forms won't work because they will collapse. Then it goes to the machine which contains a vat of special goo that is cured by a laser, section by section. The part rests on a bed which drops by a tiny bit into the goo after each pass of the laser. When its all done the part emerges ready for cleanup, which typically involves cleaning up tons of tiny little support lattice.

A good machine can produce astonishingly nice parts, but like all digital technologies, there is a distinct granularity to the resolution. That is, parts with a draft angle with respect to the depth of the part exhibit a certain amount of "steppedness" which needs to be finished by sanding etc.

There are a number of companies that will "print" your parts, Shapeways being probably the biggest...

http://www.shapeways.com/

Again, there are multiple technologies, each with their own applications.

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2012, 09:24:56 AM »
  Yorki.
Amazing work my friend.An extra cudo to you working in the tiny 1/72 scale as well. I'm looking forward to seeing the wicker seat all printed up.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline pepperman42

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2012, 10:16:16 AM »
Thanks for the info Uncle Tony. I didnt realize we had got to a point where the general public had access to this type of technology. NASA at our fingertips!!!

Steve

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2012, 11:10:38 AM »
Yeah Steve, the future is here. Slight addendum to prev post: after a little research I see that shapeways uses Objet SLA which does away with the vat of goo, instead curing the stuff while it sprays it out in super thin layers. Haven't seen one of these babies in action yet.

Edit: I should clarify this a bit more. Shapeways offers custom part printing using a variety of technologies, which they don't identify directly but instead refer to by material properties. And that makes sense when talking to laypeople for the most part, but it might be useful to understand a little bit more...

Typically SLA parts are more or less like resin cast parts. They hold a great deal of detail, and typically are paintable. They tend to be fragile and will yellow when exposed to UV light.

SLS (selective laser sintering) is the technology Shapeways use to produce "strong and flexible" parts. The result is similar to ABS and in my experience is not paintable. Detail is noticeably mushy compared to SLA.

The technologies they use to make metal like parts I am not directly familiar with but I understand that it starts with a powder and though the result looks like cast metal it is not workable like real metal.

I'm sure others here know much more than I do but that's a start...

Edit Edit: after looking over Shapeways materials options I see one I had not noticed before called Frosted Detail / Ultra Detail which is yet another technology and which sounds perfect for our interests

« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 11:51:21 AM by UncleTony »

Offline pepperman42

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2012, 11:18:15 AM »
Went to that sight and some of the projects on display looked very grainy. Is that standard?

Steve

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2012, 11:30:58 AM »
Went to that sight and some of the projects on display looked very grainy. Is that standard?

Steve

Depends on the technology as to what resolution you can capture. Right now to the best of my knowledge the king in this regard is SLA. I don't have any direct experience with Objet SLA, but "goop" SLA can make some pretty impressive parts with pretty fine detail. That said, still no match for old fashioned analog resin casting done by a skilled caster.

Offline pepperman42

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2012, 11:32:30 AM »
Definitely interesting stuff!!!

Steve