Author Topic: WNW Salmson 2A2/Aviattic figures: WNW Pfalz DIIIa Jasta 4  (Read 94235 times)

Offline IFF1418

Re: WNW Salmson 2A2/Aviattic figures: WNW Pfalz DIIIa Jasta 4
« Reply #150 on: November 27, 2015, 08:56:16 PM »
Hello Rick,

I am so sorry I missed your start my friend, and what a start you made! With your Salmson you join the absolute magnificent builds of Chris and PrzemoL. The woodwork, interior, rigging and bracing are wonderful. The camo colors seems to be heading in the perfect direction. Also the Pfalz is a beauty in the make. I still do not understand how you can combine two such different builds and stay in the right properties of each build. A real multitasker is what you proof to be. Keep on this amazing work my friend!

Kind regards
Patrick

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #151 on: November 27, 2015, 10:24:37 PM »
Wow! Rick you have done a great job of the ribbons, even
before touch-ups!  Excellent progress, my friend. :D

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #152 on: November 27, 2015, 10:31:35 PM »
very good paint
Thanks for the comment and looking in!
RAGIII

Beautiful, as i had expected. Did the stripe end on top of the spine, immediately before the tail (as on your model), or did it extend towards the left elevator?

Stefan

Thanks Stephan, I appreciate your comment about the ribbon. As for the last portion on the right fuselage I think it ends before going over and around. It is pretty constant on Albatros and Pfalz fighters in Jasta 4 to have 5 stripes on the left fuselage. If I continued to wrap the ribbon around it would have been 6. SO as I am doing a conjectural scheme I think I will paint the tail a light blue or white thus eliminating the controversy!
RAGIII

Hello Rick,

I am so sorry I missed your start my friend, and what a start you made! With your Salmson you join the absolute magnificent builds of Chris and PrzemoL. The woodwork, interior, rigging and bracing are wonderful. The camo colors seems to be heading in the perfect direction. Also the Pfalz is a beauty in the make. I still do not understand how you can combine two such different builds and stay in the right properties of each build. A real multitasker is what you proof to be. Keep on this amazing work my friend!

Kind regards
Patrick

Patrick my old friend I truly appreciate your looking in and commenting! You are always generous with your praise ! Great to know you are following the build.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #153 on: December 01, 2015, 02:18:17 AM »
Wow! Rick you have done a great job of the ribbons, even
before touch-ups!  Excellent progress, my friend. :D

Cheers,
Ernie :)

Ernie,
I seemed to have missed your post and for that I am sorry! You are always great about following my builds and I do appreciate you looking in and taking your time to comment!
RAGIII

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #154 on: December 01, 2015, 03:29:28 AM »
Rick,
   With the contrast provided by the striping the silver /silbergrau fuselage really looks good. The increased contrast once the metal panels are touched up will really bring this all together, nice work!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

« Reply #155 on: December 01, 2015, 03:40:02 AM »
I agree with Lance...not an easy thing to do well and you nailed it.  Ribbons on Pfalzs and Albatrossssses look super cool!

Dan

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #156 on: December 01, 2015, 09:03:53 AM »
 Rick,
Excellent ever so sharp stripes my old friend. Well Done! Looking forward to more artistry.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #157 on: December 02, 2015, 01:24:34 AM »
Rick,
   With the contrast provided by the striping the silver /silbergrau fuselage really looks good. The increased contrast once the metal panels are touched up will really bring this all together, nice work!
Cheers,
Lance

Thanks Lance I always appreciate your comments! One thing I have run into is the lack of any plain black Iron crosses for the fuselage on the WNW decal sheet. I need to acquire some suitable crosses, then make a mask and spray my silver mixture to create a surround. This will give the outline needed over the ribbon. Anyone willing to part with some crosses  from a Pheon sheet or other aftermarket decals please PM Me for Trade info. ( I will be purchasing a Pheon sheet eventually for My Pfalz DIII but I hate to wait until after the Holidays)

RAGIII

I agree with Lance...not an easy thing to do well and you nailed it.  Ribbons on Pfalzs and Albatrossssses look super cool!

Dan

Dan,
I appreciate  you following my build, and your comments!
RAGIII

Striping looks really clean to me, Rick! Ti sis sure coming along well.....congrats!

Thanks Michael, I would love to see what you would do with a sceme like this!
RAGIII

Rick,
Excellent ever so sharp stripes my old friend. Well Done! Looking forward to more artistry.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette

Gregory, thank you Old friend! Always appreciate hearing from you!
RAGIII

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #158 on: December 02, 2015, 03:02:31 AM »
Rick,
   The "surrounded" fus. crosses on the Kit's Sheet for Option #1 (Buddecke's 5983/17 Jasta 30) have a clear outline and could easily be trimmed. If those would work I have them. Send me a PM with your mailing address and I'll launch them immediately if that works, unless you missed this possibility and still have them yourself.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #159 on: December 04, 2015, 12:22:11 AM »
I worked on the crosses yesterday. I had success making a mask and spraying the Iron cross silver back ground on decal paper. I was forced to use Roden Triplane decals as they were the only ones that seemed to be the correct size. I applied the silver back ground and all looked well. Then after preparing the Roden crosses with an over coat of future I apllied over the silver. All went well. I then moved to the right fuselage cross and ALL went wrong. The cross on the left was applied at an angle and so I couldn't match up the positions on the opposite side. I tried moving the original and of course that is when the Roden decals began to shatter. I lifted the decals I had applied with tape and re thought the whole thing.

My solution was based on when the one photo of the lozenge winged Jasta 4 Pfalz was taken. Within a day or two of that Photo the crosses would have been changed to the common but incorrect wide form seen on JG1 DR1s. So since this is a build based on conjecture I decided to use the crosses from the kit, outline the left one and go from there. I also applied the Lozenge to the tail. This will be over painted with a mid blue or yellow and I intend to let the lozenge show through a little.

RAGIII

wnwsalmsonandpfalz 015 by Richard Geisler, on Flickr

wnwsalmsonandpfalz 005_crop by Richard Geisler, on Flickr

wnwsalmsonandpfalz 012 by Richard Geisler, on Flickr

wnwsalmsonandpfalz 014 by Richard Geisler, on Flickr

PS: The Aviattic cookie cutter decals fit perfectly to the tail, much better than the DVII which was very good! One thing to note is that the tail lozenge is designed to go on before assembling the tail to the fuselage so I had to trim in the center.

PPS: Using the Balkan Crosses has created one more small issue... No white outlines on the undersurface crosses  :(
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 08:42:53 AM by RAGIII »

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #160 on: December 04, 2015, 01:55:09 AM »
Outstanding work, as usual, amigo!  In spite of your tribulations with the starboard cross, both crosses look fantastic.  The lozenge on the tail looks perfect and I know from experience that the over painting will be just right.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Pgtaylorart

« Reply #161 on: December 04, 2015, 02:37:08 AM »
Outstanding work, as usual, amigo!  In spite of your tribulations with the starboard cross, both crosses look fantastic.  The lozenge on the tail looks perfect and I know from experience that the over painting will be just right.
Cheers,
Bud

I agree with Bud! Looks great to me! (Except the part about knowing from experience about over painting, I haven't done that bit before. :D )

George

Offline radio

« Reply #162 on: December 04, 2015, 08:12:26 AM »
Wonderful update Rick.
Cheers
Martin

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #163 on: December 04, 2015, 02:39:20 PM »
 Rick,
Outstanding decal work my old friend. The wide fuselage crosses look perfect to my eyes. Well Done!
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline IFF1418

« Reply #164 on: December 04, 2015, 07:51:43 PM »
Hi Rick,

Lovely work on the Pfalz my friend. You are up to a wonderful duo build. Keep on the wonderful work!

Kind regards
Patrick