Author Topic: Pegasus Albatros DIII  (Read 1170 times)

Offline Softscience

Re: Pegasus Albatros DIII
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2024, 11:35:51 PM »
Very cool. I'd love to see your collection of built Pegasus kits. I took a swipe at a few, but never managed to get far.

Offline djuggie

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2024, 01:26:31 AM »
That would be quite an undertaking but I am not opposed to the idea.  I could break them down to Central and Allied powers and a couple of shots of each one over time.  Let me ponmder this some more.
Dennis

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2024, 06:49:02 AM »
I had two Veeday BE 2c's: they were a bit crude but as you write there was nothing else available in the early 1980's when they were released. Then I stopped modelling for 30+ years and they never got built: Pegasus passed me by. I used the wings form one of the BE 2's to convert to an FE 2b (there is a build log on this site from around 2014 I think). I also built the Etrich Taube but found that the wings were very thick and the engine almost unuseable, but no matter, nobody else has produced one in this scale.

The Pegasus range was very ambitious - and as you write the other well known manufacturers were not even on the horizon when these kits were originally produced. I too would very much like to see your collection - it would make a marvellous archive.

Good luck with the current build.

Stephen.

Offline djuggie

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2024, 05:27:42 AM »
April 15, 2024

When Dave posted his pictures of his 1/32 Albatros, I knew I needed one in 1/72.

The strips are two different methods.  The wing strips are masked and painted and even taking care, there was a slight amount of overspray from the lower wing.  For the fuselage, I spayed paint clear decal sheet red and cut each piece individually and applied it to the model.  I am very pleased with the results even though I envisioned a nightmare at the tail with all of the contours.  The decals fell right into place and only minor touch up painting was required.

The undercarriage was trimmed, rigged and installed.  Then the wheels were installed.  I like to get my models on their wheels as soon as possible.  Final construction will take place in the next few days, with a completion date of maybe this week

Dennis

Offline Rick_H

« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2024, 09:48:24 AM »
That "painted decal" trick sounds really good!  It unlocks possibilities for other aircraft that I never expected to build.  Thanks!
Rick in Seattle

Offline NigelR

« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2024, 06:03:42 PM »
That's worked really well. Painting clear decal is a good way of ensuring a colour match, and it worked out really well. I would hate trying to mask that fuselage in 1/32, let alone 1/72! Great choice of colour scheme and this is looking really good so far. Nice modelling!

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2024, 09:11:33 AM »
You're a braver modeller than I, and so far it looks like it's paying off! I'm really enjoying this and I'm excited to get my hands on more Pegasus kits when I can.
Zac in NZ

Offline WD

« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2024, 01:37:36 AM »
Dennis, you're so much braver than I, wow!  Brilliant idea and execution on that fuselage, but the tail end is fantastic, I don't see how you did it.

Warren

Offline DaveB

« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2024, 03:32:19 AM »
Dennis,

That's great work on your Pegasus kit which are not the easiest to put together - glad I gave you inspiration for the colour/marking scheme!

Look forward to seeing this completed.

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point!

Offline djuggie

« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2024, 03:14:02 AM »
March 18, 2024

The model is now complete.  Until a few weeks ago, I never knew this color scheme existed until Dave B displayed his beautiful model in 1/32nd scale.  What you see is based 100% on his build, only in a smaller scale.

The model is a typical Pegasus kit.  Crude by today's standards but very buildable kits.  They were a transition from vacuforms and prior to the Eastern European companies that would follow in a few years. The later kits included metal parts and decals.  The decals on this kit are 30 years old and applied as if they were printed yesterday.  No varnish coat was added and no setting solution was needed.

Under the harsh light of the camera all of the warts are visible.  At least the ones I let you see. :-)  I am pleased with the build and I guess that's what counts.  My goal is to build all of the Pegasus kits and I have seven to go.  I will be duplicating some kits that are already built but I would like all of Chris Gannon's models.  I am shooting for 2024 to finish all of his kits.

Dennis 

Offline WD

« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2024, 05:24:39 AM »
Wonderful Dennis!

Warren

Offline Borsos

« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2024, 05:50:27 AM »
Pegasus Kits! I remember me changing Deutsche Mark into Pound Sterling at my local Bank and sending the money cash in an envelope containing my order. I remember also that I built the Albatros D. I and the Roland D. II. I started the Halberstadt D. II but never finished it.
Great to see a Pegasus kit being built. I can‘t remember another one in this forum.
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline Softscience

« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2024, 12:55:05 PM »
Really nice work. I find building high end kits of biplanes in 1/72 to be extra tricky
 The fact that this is a fairly primitive (relatively speaking) short run makes your results even more impressive. And considering how fast you did it! Wow!

Offline NigelR

« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2024, 05:41:30 PM »
Very nice result on a basic kit and a challenging colour scheme. Well done, and on to the next Pegasus kit!

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2024, 07:12:01 PM »
I love what you have done with this kit; in some ways I see the Pegasus D.III as a good alternative to the other kits out their on the market, for its relatively good shape and simplicity. These kits are still worth lots of love, I think.

I do have quite a few Pegasus kits in my stash given they do some subjects not otherwise covered well by mainstream manufacturers. One day I will pluck up the courage to build one  ;D

Great stuff!

Cheers,

BC