Author Topic: Dual Build: Roden 1/32nd Albatros DIII (OAW): Jasta 10, WNW ALbatrosDV: Jasta11  (Read 91724 times)

Offline Trackpad

Funny thing Gary is that I had forgotten about the slightly warped upper wing. Looking at the wing in my current build I see no evidence of the issue. This started as an OAW version and I used parts for the DV kindly supplied by another Forum Member. Perhaps WNW fixed the slight warp on the OAW issue?
RAGIII

Not sure, Rick. Mine is the standard "Albatros DV," kit #32009, purchased about 6-8 years ago. It certainly had the up-swept wingtips, perhaps 1/8" (or maybe a bit more) at either tip. I used elastics to bind the wing to a flat bit of lumber, then ran boiling water across the centre section and immediately submerged the wing into cold water. It took about three repetitions, but the wing is now dead flat and otherwise unharmed.   8)
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Online RAGIII

Funny thing Gary is that I had forgotten about the slightly warped upper wing. Looking at the wing in my current build I see no evidence of the issue. This started as an OAW version and I used parts for the DV kindly supplied by another Forum Member. Perhaps WNW fixed the slight warp on the OAW issue?
RAGIII

Not sure, Rick. Mine is the standard "Albatros DV," kit #32009, purchased about 6-8 years ago. It certainly had the up-swept wingtips, perhaps 1/8" (or maybe a bit more) at either tip. I used elastics to bind the wing to a flat bit of lumber, then ran boiling water across the centre section and immediately submerged the wing into cold water. It took about three repetitions, but the wing is now dead flat and otherwise unharmed.   8)

I wonder if fixing the tip upsweep would negate the need for modifying the lower wing as I have done? Just double checked and to my eye there is no upsweep on the upper wing tips. I remember my original DV had a Decided Warp on the sprue and took quite a bit of finger pressure to straighten.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Trackpad

"I wonder if fixing the tip upsweep would negate the need for modifying the lower wing as I have done? Just double checked and to my eye there is no upsweep on the upper wing tips. I remember my original DV had a Decided Warp on the sprue and took quite a bit of finger pressure to straighten."

I have no idea, but you can bet that I'll hoist that little question aboard for use when comes time to fit the wings. Thanks for the insight!  ;)

"Dry fit, dry fit, dry fit!"    8)
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Online RAGIII

So, spent my vacation working on my current 3 builds. The DIII was used to experiment with Tamiya smoke and clear Orange. Learned that when you think you don't have enough it is time to quit  :o The DV has had the spinner, pirated from a Roden DIII, and Proper Plane Prop added. Also gloss coated over all of the decals prior to some Oil Dot weathering on the Lozenge and some planned to be subtle stains using oils. I also worked on the Axial prop for the DIII using pencils.
RAGIII

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
Gorgeous builds Rick (but what else would I expect from you).  Looking forward to your next update.

Offline krow113

Nice!
 So you did the prop laminations with water color pencils?

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
Extraordinary work all around on both of these beauties, Amigo!
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Trackpad

What they all said, Rick: excellent work. Well Done!   8)
Cheers!
Gary

Online RAGIII

Nice!
 So you did the prop laminations with water color pencils?

The Albatros DV is the one with the laminated wood prop purchased from Proper Plane. The DIII OAW is the one done in pencil.
RAGIII

Online RAGIII

Gorgeous builds Rick (but what else would I expect from you).  Looking forward to your next update.

Thanks Juan. As always I appreciate your comments!
RAGIII

Extraordinary work all around on both of these beauties, Amigo!
Cheers,
Bud

Thanks Amigo!
RAGIII

What they all said, Rick: excellent work. Well Done!   8)

Thanks Gary. I greatly appreciate the comment!
RAGIII

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

Wow, Rick!  I really like both of these.  I think the cool color on the fuselage is spot on.

Really a lovely pair!

Dan

Online RAGIII

Wow, Rick!  I really like both of these.  I think the cool color on the fuselage is spot on.

Really a lovely pair!

Dan

Thanks for looking in and the comment Dan!
RAGIII

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
As always you are making wonderful planes...
I like _so_ much the "satin" shade on the dark red elements on the jasta 11 machine.
Is it due to a varnish or it's the natural finish of the color you used?

Antonio

Online RAGIII

As always you are making wonderful planes...
I like _so_ much the "satin" shade on the dark red elements on the jasta 11 machine.
Is it due to a varnish or it's the natural finish of the color you used?

Antonio

Thanks for the comment Antonio. The satin finish is simply one light coat of Future Floor Polish. Glossier than it looks probably.
RAGIII

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
Thanks Rick for this information!