Author Topic: War at Sea  (Read 495 times)

Offline macsporran

War at Sea
« on: July 25, 2015, 07:53:28 PM »
For those of you who can access the BBC I-player, I wholeheartedly recommend the two parter War at Sea WWI documentary currently available. First programme on Dreadnoughts, second on submarines. Wonderful stuff, exactly what the Beeb does so well. Lots on naval aircraft and airships.
David Hayman introduces and his description of the Battle of Jutland is hair-raising. Superb period film and modern graphics and CGI, along with visits to all corners of the globe to see settings and survivors. The last Dreadnought, USS Texas looks astonishingly grim in its black-grey paint scheme.
Must-see for anyone with an interest in WWI, might be on YouTube for those outwith iPlayer areas.
I've watched them twice so far!
Sandy

Offline Bluesfan

• MW Miniature Work
Re: War at Sea
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2015, 12:33:49 AM »
Just want to back up what you say, Sandy, they are excellent programmes.
The presenter is engaging throughout, managing to balance the big picture with the personal.
But such things will always attract my attention; my grandfather was at Jutland, the only surviving officer on his destroyer, thanks to looking after the engine room when the bridge was hit. His story makes me mindful that although the overall ship losses were not actually huge, for such a major battle, many of the ships which came home did so massively damaged...
Yes, I would say watch the programmes if you get the chance.

Mark