Author Topic: 1/32 BE2c  (Read 30723 times)

Offline RichieW

Re: 1/32 BE2c
« Reply #345 on: August 18, 2023, 01:44:35 AM »
It's been a long time since I updated this. The last update was about my attempt to rescue the top wing that had gone horribly wrong after a bit of rough handling and some pretty approximate modelling.  It looked OK at a passing glance but from the side it looked like this;

BE2c top wing fail by Richard Williams, on Flickr

Every time I looked at it I hated it even more and quitting the fags robbed me of the necessary mojo to start again so I began another project which needed some home made decals. Whilst at it I made some for this one too. Some of you will have seen this picture on my L'Oiseau Blanc build

Home printed BE2c decal. by Richard Williams, on Flickr

I was so chuffed that my mojo returned and I decided it was time to remake the top wing. Making the wing ribs was a hugely time consuming business last time so I did things a little differently this time.

The brass template was used to drill the holes in the styrene blanks and draw the shape, each strip of 1x3.2mm styrene yields 7 rib blanks. These was then cut roughly into shape with my Xuron clippers and pinned together with brass rod. These were then tacked together with superglue at each end and sandwiched between the templates.

I have noticed that using Zip Kicker makes superglue more brittle which can be a real pain in the backside but in this case it makes separating the ribs easier.

20230817_142253 by Richard Williams, on Flickr

After a bit of scrapery with a new scalpel blade

20230817_144444 by Richard Williams, on Flickr

These blocks of ribs are then threaded onto brass rod and block sanded. I used a glass nail file because it is completely rigid and gives a smooth surface.

20230817_152704 by Richard Williams, on Flickr

Because the rib blanks were only glued at either end it is easy to inset a blade between the in the middle and separate them. I wish I had done it this way before, the whole process took a morning instead of a week. Live and learn!

I'll be back with another update soon, I aim to finally finish this project by the end of September which barring any more mishaps, loss of mojo or silly blunders should be possible.

Thanks for reading

Richie

Offline Davos522

« Reply #346 on: August 18, 2023, 03:31:35 AM »
It seems every post I read on this forum I learn something new... particularly yours. Brilliant technique for those ribs, Richie, I'll file that one away for when I work up enough nerve to tackle one of my long-planned scratchbuilding projects.

Dutch

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #347 on: August 18, 2023, 03:35:57 AM »
I had thought about using your method when I made the ribs for my gargantuan projects but did not have the nerve to cut the brass formers. I think that like you I should have learned earleir and saved myself a lot of time (and frozen shoulder!)

Looks very much like this one is back in business: I am looking forward to seeing it when it is finished.

Stephen.

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #348 on: August 18, 2023, 09:08:11 PM »
Looks very much like this one is back in business: I am looking forward to seeing it when it is finished.
Hear hear!
Zac in NZ

Offline Tim Mixon

• Main focus is 1/72 WWI
« Reply #349 on: August 19, 2023, 03:00:21 AM »
Very happy to see this one back on the bench Richie. Nice job with the decals and paintwork. The stitching is flawless!

All the best,
Tim

Offline RichieW

« Reply #350 on: August 19, 2023, 11:33:32 PM »
Thanks for your highly motivating feedback chaps. I'm very determined to get this finished now and your interest and encouragement is a massive boost!

Well I wasn't going to update for a few days but I had insomnia so this is more of a what's coming next update.

Thornton Pickard type C aerial camera by Richard Williams, on Flickr

This exquisite object is a Type C aerial camera that was standard RFC issue up to 1917. Here's another angle;

Thornton Pickard type C aerial camera by Richard Williams, on Flickr

And finally here are a couple of archive BE2c photos.

images (8) by Richard Williams, on Flickr

BE2c with aerial reconnaissance camera by Richard Williams, on Flickr

Here is BE2c  2612 in 1916 showing it fitted with camera mounting rails.

Be2c 2612 by Richard Williams, on Flickr

Unlike the TVAL replica it doesn't appear to have the goal post type Strange mount for a rear firing Lewis gun and I can't make out a gun mount built into the front starboard cabane strut either. This is good news for me because I didn't fancy making either and I really want to make the camera.

I made the cabane struts out of styrene sheet and 1mm Tamiya tape the same way I made the undercarriage legs

20230818_160608 by Richard Williams, on Flickr

I made a start on the camera but didn't take any in progress shots.

20230818_211207 by Richard Williams, on Flickr

The cabanes have been slid onto the brass pins for safe keeping. They will be trimmed to final shape and size later.

Cabane struts dry fit by Richard Williams, on Flickr

The camera wood effect needs work, I've never been much good at this technique, then I will set about the eye straining business of adding the brass details.

Aerial Camera size check by Richard Williams, on Flickr

I will be adding a candlestick type mount for the rear firing Lewis gun but will not be adding a forward firing gun mount. Largely because I don't fancy my chances of scratch building an identical gun to the one I made some time ago.

If you've got to this point, many thanks you have shown the patience and determination I will need to finish the model in time!

Have a great weekend
Richie

Offline RichieW

« Reply #351 on: August 20, 2023, 09:36:59 AM »
A bi more work on the camera

1/32 aerial camera. by Richard Williams, on Flickr

Passable to the naked eye, I might well leave it at that.

Offline Davos522

« Reply #352 on: August 20, 2023, 10:42:37 AM »
Brilliant, Richie, absolutely bally brilliant.

Dutch

Offline RichieW

« Reply #353 on: August 20, 2023, 06:56:58 PM »
Brilliant, Richie, absolutely bally brilliant.

Dutch

Thanks Dutch, I must confess I wish I had a 3d printer so I could achieve greater accuracy with fiddly little parts like this. It was great fun to cobble together though.

Richie

Offline RichieW

« Reply #354 on: August 20, 2023, 08:45:44 PM »

I painted on the remaining brasswork, I'm calling the camera finished, I could spend a lifetime tidying it up but I would like to retain my sanity.

1/32 Aerial Camera by Richard Williams, on Flickr

I need to make the gun mount next, that will have to be tomorrow as I am off to embarrass myself on the cricket pitch for the rest of the day.

Richie

Offline Davos522

« Reply #355 on: August 20, 2023, 10:18:47 PM »
Camera looks good to me! And I'm with you on the 3D printer, my son has one but it doesn't have the capability to do the kind of fiddly bits that you'd need for projects like this. But they're not all that dear these days, as PJ noted recently on his Wight build log the one his brother is using is really no more expensive than some of the WnW kits on EvilBay these days. The problem for me is the learning curve for the software...

Dutch

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #356 on: August 24, 2023, 03:24:59 AM »
I seem to have missed a few updates Richie. Your work on the Struts and Camera is exceptional.  Every step gets you and us closer to seeing this beauty completed.  8)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #357 on: August 24, 2023, 04:21:08 PM »
I was a bit behind too, so this was a great bunch of updates to find. Top work Richie!
Zac in NZ

Offline Tim Mixon

• Main focus is 1/72 WWI
« Reply #358 on: August 26, 2023, 11:39:10 AM »
Brilliant work on the camera.  Looks very nice!

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #359 on: August 27, 2023, 12:54:10 AM »
I'm lagging behind, but superwork on the struts and the camera Richie!

As Dave said, a 3d printer would be a welcome addition to my toolbox too, but like him, I dread the software learning curve...

Cheers,
Willem