Author Topic: 1/32 BE2c  (Read 30735 times)

Offline RichieW

Re: 1/32 BE2c
« Reply #240 on: April 29, 2023, 01:37:43 AM »
It’s a pity to cover up that fantastic engine!
Andreas

That's tempting me out of making the covers! :)
 Richie

Offline FAf

« Reply #241 on: April 29, 2023, 02:17:56 AM »
The engine in situ looks absolutely gorgeous! Do you want to cover it?
/Fredrik

Offline RichieW

« Reply #242 on: April 29, 2023, 03:07:35 AM »
The engine in situ looks absolutely gorgeous! Do you want to cover it?
/Fredrik

Thanks Fredrik, yes I simplified it very heavily because I was going to cover it up. You and Andreas have got me thinking now. I was so looking forward to making the hinges too... ;)

Richie

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #243 on: April 30, 2023, 12:17:03 AM »
Brilliant work! The Engine is Pure Artwork! Even with the cover one will be able to see just enough to be gobsmacked  8)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline RichieW

« Reply #244 on: May 02, 2023, 07:35:30 AM »
Brilliant work! The Engine is Pure Artwork! Even with the cover one will be able to see just enough to be gobsmacked  8)
RAGIII

Hi Rick,many thanks for your generosity, hope you are well. :)

Very Obsessed Member

Well the intimidating engine covers put up a bit of a fight, I don't think I can claim a victory but possibly a forced down out of control.

The top cover needed to be bent to a constant width along the bottom. I spent many hours playing with paper templates before I  had a real eureka moment. I just cut and annealed a piece of sheet aluminium to the right length, 15mm wide tapering down to 13mm. With the centre line marked I started the bend over a pencil and finished it in my proxxon vice which has a nice ledge in each jaw I could get a flat base from.

20230428_162337 by Richard Williams, on Flickr

4 hours thinking, head scratching and experimenting time, 5 minutes making time!

After priming, adding a lip with lead wire and riveting;

20230429_211531 by Richard Williams, on Flickr

The 4 separate covers on each were infuriating and needed careful measuring, test fitting and fettling. When it came time to glue them in place it all went a bit pear shaped but I wrestled them onto the model. The two copper exhaust at the front of the engine are 1mm copper tube.

20230501_215251 by Richard Williams, on Flickr

You can still see as much of the engine as I wanted visible, not very much!

20230501_215322 by Richard Williams, on Flickr

Not the neatest work I've ever done but there will be a big exhaust pipe directly in front of the cylinder tops so I'm not too bothered.

I was thinking there is only one more big hurdle. The making of the wings, I'm going to have to completely clear my bench before starting them. I seem to have made rather a mess, I'm not sure which is bigger hurdle!

20230424_205803 by Richard Williams, on Flickr

Many thanks for reading, all the wonderful advice and encouragement from this terrific community has been a major factor in me getting to this point.

Richie

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #245 on: May 02, 2023, 08:52:28 AM »
I'm glad to see your progress Richie, that engine is looking darned good...if that's "simplified" my mind boggles at what a "proper" job would be!

ZK-CBE, TVAL's reproduction of this machine, was flying this weekend and I will post some photos in this thread for inspiration  ;)
Zac in NZ

Offline Tim Mixon

• Main focus is 1/72 WWI
« Reply #246 on: May 02, 2023, 10:50:12 AM »
That is some Grade A scratch building Richie!  Very creative solution to the engine covers.
Looks like you and I have the same organization skills when it comes to the model workbench. 

All the best,
Tim

Offline Borsos

« Reply #247 on: May 02, 2023, 02:56:39 PM »
Fantastic engine covers! You have found a wonderful solution.

And a German bonmot says like “May ordinary people need constant tidying, only the genius dominates the chaos”

Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline RichieW

« Reply #248 on: May 02, 2023, 06:46:27 PM »
Thanks Zac, a proper job boggles my mind too. I've seen it done though! Loved yourxTVAL airshow album.

Cheers Tim,  it's food to hear I'm not the only messy modeller! :)

Thanks Andreas, I love that saying. I haven't dominated the chaos but I scraped my way through it.  I'm more a smarty pants than a genius!  ;D

Richie

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #249 on: May 03, 2023, 05:13:43 AM »
I have been away for the weekend Richie, so I am late to the party (nothing new there!) The engine looks fabulous - such a shame to cover it up. I am not surprised that the engine cover was less difficult than you imagined - solutions to problems are usually much simpler than we tend to think. I just wish now that I had thought of it for my BE 2a because I would have liked to have put the cover on mine too. However your work is, as usual, quite exceptional and enough of the engine will be visible to admire.

Looking forward to seeing how you deal with the wings - I am certain that they will be equally stunning when you get around the mess to making them.

Stephen.

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #250 on: May 03, 2023, 06:13:54 AM »
Thanks Zac, a proper job boggles my mind too. I've seen it done though! Loved yourxTVAL airshow album.
;D I have full confidence in you! And all the photos can be seen here, should you wish to dredge through!
« Last Edit: May 04, 2023, 07:01:38 AM by KiwiZac »
Zac in NZ

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #251 on: May 03, 2023, 06:22:18 AM »
My Gob is Duly Smacked Richie! Engine and covers are beautiful in Situ! As for your bench I must say it is pretty clean compared to My Normal. I have therefore adopted the saying posted by Andreas  ;D
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline RichieW

« Reply #252 on: May 03, 2023, 07:01:35 AM »
I have been away for the weekend Richie, so I am late to the party (nothing new there!) The engine looks fabulous - such a shame to cover it up. I am not surprised that the engine cover was less difficult than you imagined - solutions to problems are usually much simpler than we tend to think. I just wish now that I had thought of it for my BE 2a because I would have liked to have put the cover on mine too. However your work is, as usual, quite exceptional and enough of the engine will be visible to admire.

Looking forward to seeing how you deal with the wings - I am certain that they will be equally stunning when you get around the mess to making them.

Stephen.

Many thanks Stephen, you have often told me solutions are often simpler than they at first seem. You were so right in this case!

I won't have much time for wing making for a week or so but I am looming forward to them.

;D I have full confidence in you! And all the photos can be seen [urlhttps://flic.kr/s/aHBqjABEYp]here[/url], should you wish to dredge through!

I already had a good look through the whole album Zac. I am of course deeply jealous! I'm researching the Wolseley Viper for my next project, perhaps we will see a proper job left uncovered then. If not more aluminium sheet bending beckons. ;)

My Gob is Duly Smacked Richie! Engine and covers are beautiful in Situ! As for your bench I must say it is pretty clean compared to My Normal. I have therefore adopted the saying posted by Andreas  ;D
RAGIII

Thanks so much Rick, I am delighted to hear your bench is messier than mine. You are clearly a true genius by Andreas's quote.

I learned a lesson today, I cleared my bench and cleaned my airbrush. End result? One entire bottle of MRP lacquer black spilled on over my new jeans. Never clear your bench, trying to dominate the chaos makes us focus better! ;)

Richie

Offline DaveB

« Reply #253 on: May 04, 2023, 01:57:11 AM »
Clever solution for your engine cover, Richie -

I also feel your pain spilling paint on your new jeans ............

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point!

Offline RichieW

« Reply #254 on: May 09, 2023, 01:26:05 AM »
Clever solution for your engine cover, Richie -

I also feel your pain spilling paint on your new jeans ............

Regards

Dave

Thanks Dave, the engine cover looks OK but the black paint on the jeans look like I've suffered from bladder trouble!

I'm busy making many wing ribs at the moment. There isn't much to show but the process involves brass templates, the drilling of many holes and plenty of filing, scraping and sanding. The DSPIAE sanding pen has proved to be very useful!

1/32 BE2c wing ribs by Richard Williams, on Flickr

With the holes drilled the blanks is sandwiched between the brass templates and pinned with brass rods. This is then mounted to a pre drilled wooden base to allow accurate drilling of the two holes for the minor spars.

The dividers are great for accurately positioning the holes that need drilling and using a pair of brass templates makes producing pretty much identical ribs quite straightforward.

I have another 20 to make which will take a couple of hours. I tried making them in batches of 5 but quickly found that it was not accurate enough so am making them individually. These will then be pinned together in a block before further sanding and further refining. Not the most exciting update for such a lot of work. I hope to have some wing frames to show you soon.

Thanks for reading
Richie