Author Topic: 1/32 BE2c  (Read 30726 times)

Offline lone modeller

Re: 1/32 BE2c
« Reply #225 on: April 13, 2023, 03:43:41 AM »
Good recovery Richie - not quite the disaster you first thought.

With reference to the bits that do not look quite right at first getting less obvious with time is something that scratch builders have to learn to live with, otherwise no model would ever be completed! If you want to know how I know I can show you on Saturday.

Stephen.

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #226 on: April 13, 2023, 01:44:51 PM »
Thank goodness for the save!!
Zac in NZ

Offline RichieW

« Reply #227 on: April 24, 2023, 09:18:18 PM »
Many thanks for your kind comments and encouragement Ferdrik, Dave, Gary, Stephen and Zac. It really is much appreciated and helps to keep the spirits up.

It has been a while since my last update, I have been working away at it but have been having a spot of engine trouble. This project started way back in August '21 with the engine which started out quite promisingly.

Royal Aircraft Factory 1a 1/32 scratch by Richard Williams, on Flickr

Willem very kindly donated a WNW engine sprue that had very similar cylinders to the RAF 1a. Unfortunately when it came time to mount the engine I ran in to many difficulties. In the words of the recently departed Burt Bacharach 'Just like the guy whose feet were too big for his bed, nothing seemed to fit.' Using solid styrene strip for the engine mounting beams made it very difficult to mount it level so attempt 2 used square brass tube. This way brass rod could just be threaded through and sit level on the bearers.

RAF V8 1a by Richard Williams, on Flickr

This attempts was a tad too long, too skinny and too tall. The spark plugs would get in the way of he engine cover and the cylinders need to protrude slightly beyond the cowling. .

Nothing for it but to start again:

RAF V8 1a by Richard Williams, on Flickr

Attempt 3 looks altogether more promising, I salvaged the brass tube and original reduction gear housing. It only has to bear a passing resemblance to the RAF 1a as it will be mostly obscured as you can see in this photograph from The Smithsonian Institute's example;

Royal Aircraft Factory 1a V8 engine by Richard Williams, on Flickr

Making the covers looks like a serious challenge but then every single step of this project has been so far and I actually find it quite amusing when my first attempts are misshapen carbuncles so on we go. Back in a week or two.

Richie

Offline Tim Mixon

• Main focus is 1/72 WWI
« Reply #228 on: April 25, 2023, 12:55:55 AM »
Looking really nice Ritchie.  I agree that you have a real challenge with the engine cover.  It seems to be several individual pieces between the cylinders.  You’ll overcome it I’m sure. 
All the best,
Tim

Offline RichieW

« Reply #229 on: April 25, 2023, 02:02:05 AM »
Looking really nice Ritchie.  I agree that you have a real challenge with the engine cover.  It seems to be several individual pieces between the cylinders.  You’ll overcome it I’m sure. 
All the best,
Tim

Many thanks Tim, I have no idea how I'm going to make the covers but I'll worry about that once the cylinders are on. The really awkward thing looks like getting the push rods through the covers. I'll find a way of doing it but I may be some time!

Richie

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #230 on: April 25, 2023, 05:41:00 AM »
I somehow knew that the engine might give you a headache or two - guess why I decided not to put the cover on my BE 2a!

The central cover would be simple to mould from aluminium sheet but the pieces between the cylinders will be more tricky. A small drill for the holes for the bolts would be straightforward. I will give this some thought and may pm you.

Stephen.

Offline Borsos

« Reply #231 on: April 25, 2023, 05:51:25 AM »
I have no idea how to reproduce these cylinder covers than to draw one on the PC and to 3D print them. I have no idea how to work with a CAD program, but people who do have do wonders that way.
Besides of that your energy and eye for the detail are amazing, Richie. You create something unique and breathtaking here.
Good luck with these covers!
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline RichieW

« Reply #232 on: April 25, 2023, 07:28:38 AM »
I somehow knew that the engine might give you a headache or two - guess why I decided not to put the cover on my BE 2a!

The central cover would be simple to mould from aluminium sheet but the pieces between the cylinders will be more tricky. A small drill for the holes for the bolts would be straightforward. I will give this some thought and may pm you.

Stephen.

Thanks Stephen, I'll have a go next weekend and see what I can do. I'm close to having the central cover sorted out (from aluminium as you suggest) The difficulty is getting a shape that will fold and form a straight line along the cylinder heads. I'm close to achieving it with paper templates. I haven't tried the other pieces yet and any input would be greatly appreciated. I'll get the cylinders mounted first and take some measurements.

I have no idea how to reproduce these cylinder covers than to draw one on the PC and to 3D print them. I have no idea how to work with a CAD program, but people who do have do wonders that way.
Besides of that your energy and eye for the detail are amazing, Richie. You create something unique and breathtaking here.
Good luck with these covers!
Andreas

Thanks so much Andreas, I'm in a similar position you with CAD programs, it's all a total puzzle to me. I have a Cricut cutting machine that might be helpful but the software is quite infuriating!

I'll be needing that good luck with the covers!

Richie

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #233 on: April 26, 2023, 06:35:12 AM »
I can't offer any practical advice, only boundless enthusiasm and support - and faith you'll nail it!
Zac in NZ

Offline RichieW

« Reply #234 on: April 26, 2023, 07:42:25 AM »
I can't offer any practical advice, only boundless enthusiasm and support - and faith you'll nail it!

Cheers Zac, I'm loving the enthusiasm and support, I'll get there in the end, it might take weeks of trial and error but it will be done! ;)

I unexpectedly had a whole day pretty much free today so got quite a bit done on the engine. I added a few details, I'm not sure what the little handle on the starboard side at the front of the sump (?) is, I'm assuming it is a dipstick. The engine was spayed with Tamiya flat aluminium lacquer and weathered a touch with oils.

20230425_110016 by Richard Williams, on Flickr

Trial runs of fitting the cylinders were nightmarishly awkward in attempts 1 and 2. It should be straightforward because the RAF 1a has a 90 degree V angle and I used evergreen angle to build up the top of the crank case. It was still awkward, mostly because the base of all the cylinders were plastered with ca glue from the 2 failed attempts. I got there in the end though.

20230425_211552 by Richard Williams, on Flickr

I think the copper coloured U shape is a breather tube, perhaps somebody can let me know. Adding this caused much head scratching, I just used garden wire in the end. The firewall was glued to the engine, holes drilled and the wire glued in place. I had drilled holes in the cylinders to accept the pipes. My method was not the neatest but all of this will be in shadow so it will do.

Here is the nearly completed engine sitting in place. There should be more rods and valves but adding them would be a bridge too far for me, especially as they won't be seen.

20230425_220417 by Richard Williams, on Flickr

The really awkward business of the engine covers comes next but that will have wait until the weekend when I will hopefully have a eureka moment.

Thanks so much for reading and leaving such generous comments.

Richie

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #235 on: April 26, 2023, 05:36:34 PM »
WOW!

Not wow, but WOW!

This Engine is looking so good Richie. It may have taken some time, blood, swearing and tears to get this far, but you are doing an incredible job here!

I have taken a look at the other pictures of the A1 engine from the Smithsonian and it seems the original cover has seen some abuse.

The way that I would (probably) go about is to make a template from card -not to stiff, because you will have to bend it in two directions.

I have some experience in using the lead-like material from cheese spread container like this:

https://static.ah.nl/dam/product/AHI_43545239373838313531?revLabel=2&rendition=800x800_JPG_Q90&fileType=binary

It is very pliable and you could make very convincing dents and bumps in it.

Don't forget to eat the cheese spread first!

Cheers

Willem
« Last Edit: April 26, 2023, 06:18:29 PM by Rookie »

Offline DaveB

« Reply #236 on: April 27, 2023, 03:53:54 AM »
Richie -

Absolutely blown away by your engine, mate!

It might have given you a headache, the result is incredible.

Regards

Dave

As we say in fencing, what's the point!

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #237 on: April 27, 2023, 06:45:20 AM »
I'm with them: my trademark enthusiasm is boosted even more with that update! Gorgeous work Richie!
Zac in NZ

Offline RichieW

« Reply #238 on: April 28, 2023, 10:55:27 PM »
WOW!

Not wow, but WOW!

This Engine is looking so good Richie. It may have taken some time, blood, swearing and tears to get this far, but you are doing an incredible job here!

I have taken a look at the other pictures of the A1 engine from the Smithsonian and it seems the original cover has seen some abuse.

The way that I would (probably) go about is to make a template from card -not to stiff, because you will have to bend it in two directions.

I have some experience in using the lead-like material from cheese spread container like this:

https://static.ah.nl/dam/product/AHI_43545239373838313531?revLabel=2&rendition=800x800_JPG_Q90&fileType=binary

It is very pliable and you could make very convincing dents and bumps in it.

Don't forget to eat the cheese spread first!

Cheers

Willem

Thanks Willem, I like the look of that material but not so much the cheese spread!

Richie -

Absolutely blown away by your engine, mate!

It might have given you a headache, the result is incredible.

Regards

Dave

Thanks Dave, I'm quite pleased with it and glad I abandoned my initial attempt way back at the start of the project. I've learned a lot more about scratchbuilding since then. Mostly that it can give you a real headache!

I'm with them: my trademark enthusiasm is boosted even more with that update! Gorgeous work Richie!

Thanks so much Zac, your boundless enthusiasm is highly contagious. I'm feeling full of the joys of styrene and glue!

Just a little micro update. The engine is as finished as it can be for now, I decided to add the ignition leads and used lead wire that I have seen others use on the forum. Yet another great tip picked up from the amazing modellers here. Here is the fully painted engine sitting (unglued) in place.

RAF 1a engine 1/32 by Richard Williams, on Flickr

As for the engine covers, I hink I will be able to give a further update soon. I have a cunning plan... ;)

Richie

Offline Borsos

« Reply #239 on: April 29, 2023, 01:28:21 AM »
It’s a pity to cover up that fantastic engine!
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.