Author Topic: 1/32 BE2c  (Read 30738 times)

Offline RichieW

Re: 1/32 BE2c
« Reply #150 on: December 17, 2022, 01:07:24 AM »
Here is a one minute video of a Lewis gun.       https://www.youtube.com/shorts/VcP1zG5d-4o

What a brilliant video, thanks so much for posting. Wish I'd seen it before starting work on mine. I was using pics from TVAL as a guide.

Richie

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #151 on: December 17, 2022, 08:44:42 AM »
What a brilliant scratch built Lewis gun. That will certainly pass on the finished model. Your ideas for the exhaust stacks and undercarriage legs are also excellent. This is indeed a log to follow if a modeller wants good ideas for scratch building parts.

Stephen.

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #152 on: December 17, 2022, 10:03:16 AM »
Richie, you and I have very different interpretations of "taking a break"! I love it!
Zac in NZ

Offline kkarlsen

• 'Old modeller' - Trying to catch up!
« Reply #153 on: December 18, 2022, 07:40:06 PM »
What a beautiful build and so many 'tricks' Richie!

Kent

Offline RichieW

« Reply #154 on: December 20, 2022, 04:17:25 AM »
What a brilliant scratch built Lewis gun. That will certainly pass on the finished model. Your ideas for the exhaust stacks and undercarriage legs are also excellent. This is indeed a log to follow if a modeller wants good ideas for scratch building parts.

Stephen.

Thanks Stephen, Ive mostly been experimenting with amking bits in order to avoid the more serious task of finishing the fuselage frame and dealing with mounting the cabane struts. ;)

Richie, you and I have very different interpretations of "taking a break"! I love it!

Thanks Zac, I got up at the crack of dawn to get the Lewis finished before the less fun Xmas related tasks stole the rest of the day!

What a beautiful build and so many 'tricks' Richie!

Kent

Ah thanks Kent, that means so much coming from the master who built those awesome SE5a and DR1 dioramas. Now they were some very special modelling!

Well yesterday I finally made the next section of the fuselage frame and the engine controls, for me this was the scariest step so far because the cabane struts emerge directly above the last two uprights of the frame. I have line everything up with the plans and test fitted the sections to the fuselage (sorry no pictures yet) and all seems well. I have drilled 0.5mm holes into where the cabanes go and the will be built up around 0.5mm brass rods. I am praying that this will give me victory in the upcoming bout with the top wing but that is months away still.

1/32 BE2c engine controls and oil tank strap by Richard Williams, on Flickr

The ball end handles of the controls are miniature ball bearings I bought online a couple of years ago in case they might be useful.

The strap is for the fuel tank cowling and is just Tamiya tape painted with oils and a little buckle made of copper wire bent over my steel ruler bashed flat and painted with Mr Metal Colour brass.

Today with many household tasks and so little time, I managed to squeeze in little pockets of modelling in between all the various highly unnecessary nonsense associated with this time of year, bah humbug!

A test fit of the new frame sections with the IP and firewall showed I needed to trim a bit off the firewall. The problem with having little time means things happen like this;
20221219_101930 by Richard Williams, on Flickr

I couldn't face making a new firewall out of aluminium, I didn't much like it anyway so I made a replacement out of styrene.
20221219_145703 by Richard Williams, on Flickr

Much better I think. The little cut outs are for where the rods from the engine controls pass through.

Another test fit suggests a good fit but not before one of the engine controls got pinged off. Luckily I recognised the sound of debris hitting a hollow carbon wheel on my old racing bike (so glad I no longer do that!) and I quickly found it and glued it back

20221219_150738 by Richard Williams, on Flickr

There was much fiddling around and fettling involved in test fitting the cockpit coaming as the instrument panel was a smidge or two too tall but it looks like it will work now.

20221219_160235 by Richard Williams, on Flickr

The final positioning and gluing of these parts needs to be absolutely precise to avoid top wing problems later. While time is limited mistakes are likely so I think I had better wish you all a happy Christmas and new year put this aside until next year.

Best Wishes everybody, no more updates for a while but I will be logging in to get my modelling fix from your work.

Richie

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #155 on: December 20, 2022, 09:02:03 AM »
I am continually lifting my aching jaw from the floor every time I look at your work Richie. This is modelling of the very highest standard - Des would have been very proud of this.

Stephen.

Offline RichieW

« Reply #156 on: December 20, 2022, 11:50:14 PM »
I am continually lifting my aching jaw from the floor every time I look at your work Richie. This is modelling of the very highest standard - Des would have been very proud of this.

Stephen.

That is very kind of you Stephen. I found this forum after discovering Des's website with his awe inspiring scratch builds. Dave W commented at the start of this project that the BE2c was a particular favourite of the great man so I can't go rushing and producing shoddy work. I so wish I had joined and been in touch with him before he passed away. His work continues to amaze and inspire though- that's quite a legacy!

Richie

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #157 on: December 21, 2022, 01:02:49 AM »
The parts really look Outstanding in place Richie! You are doing  Amazing work on your Be!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline DaveB

« Reply #158 on: December 22, 2022, 09:42:27 PM »

Stephen.

Richie - I could not agree more - your standard of workmanship is second to none on this one, mate!

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point!

Offline RichieW

« Reply #159 on: December 26, 2022, 02:53:55 AM »
The parts really look Outstanding in place Richie! You are doing  Amazing work on your Be!
RAGIII

Thanks Rick, I'm slowly getting there but it's very much 1 step forward 2 back at the moment.

Stephen.

Richie - I could not agree more - your standard of workmanship is second to none on this one, mate!

Regards

Dave

Thanks so much Dave, I get lots of practice at making things due to clumsiness, absent mindedness and sheer misfortune. Most parts get made many times over as you will see!

I wasn't going to do any modelling at all over Christmas but due to this accursed flu bug Mrs W is ill in bed and all visits have been postponed. All of which means I have been in the man cave feeling decidedly below par and more clumsy than usual. I broke the throttle control and lost it so had to make it again. In my hurry to glue to the rest of the fuselage frame so I could mount the instrument panel I quickly made a replacement, no lightening holes to save time. Sadly with the fuselage frame fitted I found my home made wicker seat won't fit and can't be fettled so it will. I have started a new one. Luckily a scratch built model has an infinite number of spare parts!

20221223_121254 by Richard Williams, on Flickr

You may notice a bamboo stirrer and partially completed instrument panel in the picture. That would be because the original instrument got lost in my rush to get the house ready for Christmas visitors. The bamboo stirrer is exactly the same width as the model, a quick few shaves off the end and the profile is perfect too. A little bit of luck is always welcome.

With the house quiet and my better half asleep all day I decided to see how far I could go with the new instrument panel, including rivets and decals I think I counted 105 parts, totally unnecessary and most of it will be invisible but I needed the therapy. Here it is with a pin to give a sense of scale;

BE2c instrument panel finished by Richard Williams, on Flickr

Thanks for looking in, I hope you are all well and enjoying your Christmas day.

Richie

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #160 on: December 26, 2022, 09:49:27 AM »
Bravo Richie, great save!

And when you find the other panel you'll have to build a replacement airframe around it... ;D
Zac in NZ

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #161 on: December 28, 2022, 04:32:48 AM »

And when you find the other panel you'll have to build a replacement airframe around it... ;D

I agree with Zac on both points  8)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline RichieW

« Reply #162 on: December 28, 2022, 06:10:09 AM »
RAGIII

Thanks Rick, I'm slowly getting there but it's very much 1 step forward 2 back at the moment.

Stephen.

Regards

Dave

Thanks so much Dave, I get lots of practice at making things due to clumsiness, absent mindedness and sheer misfortune. Most parts get made many times over as you will see!

I wasn't going to do any modelling at all over Christmas but due to this accursed flu bug Mrs W is ill in bed and all visits have been postponed. All of which means I have been in the man cave feeling decidedly below par and more clumsy than usual. I broke the throttle control and lost it so had to make it again. In my hurry to glue to the rest of the fuselage frame so I could mount the instrument panel I quickly made a replacement, no lightening holes to save time. Sadly with the fuselage frame fitted I found my home made wicker seat won't fit and can't be fettled so it will. I have started a new one. Luckily a scratch built model has an infinite number of spare parts!

20221223_121254 by Richard Williams, on Flickr

You may notice a bamboo stirrer and partially completed instrument panel in the picture. That would be because the original instrument got lost in my rush to get the house ready for Christmas visitors. The bamboo stirrer is exactly the same width as the model, a quick few shaves off the end and the profile is perfect too. A little bit of luck is always welcome.

With the house quiet and my better half asleep all day I decided to see how far I could go with the new instrument panel, including rivets and decals I think I counted 105 parts, totally unnecessary and most of it will be invisible but I needed the therapy. Here it is with a pin to give a sense of scale;

BE2c instrument panel finished by Richard Williams, on Flickr

Thanks for looking in, I hope you are all well and enjoying your Christmas day.

Richie

That's a good call, as penance for being so clumsy and untidy I pick up the gauntlet before me in acceptance of the challenge!  ;)

Richie

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #163 on: December 31, 2022, 09:33:19 AM »
Stunning detail Richie, especially the instrument panel. Why not leave the fabric off the fuselage so that you can see this little gem of scratch building?

Stephen.

PS I hope that Mrs W makes a rapid recovery.

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #164 on: January 01, 2023, 01:23:41 AM »
Gee Richie, I last visited your build log a month ago and I see I missed a lot!

The fuselage stitching, the blister, the riveting, a completed tail section (b.t.w., the translucency looks great!), a turtleback, a Lewis gun and even whipping out a second instrument panel!

This is exemplary scratch building and you are certainly up to speed Richie.

Cheers,
Willem