Author Topic: Dragon 1/48 Knights of the Sky Series with Busts  (Read 2296 times)

Offline Dave J

Dragon 1/48 Knights of the Sky Series with Busts
« on: September 22, 2020, 08:59:52 AM »
Apologies if I have posted in the wrong area firstly...

I am looking for information on what kits were released with the Mike Good resin busts in the Dragon 1/48 Knights of the Skys series.
I am aware of four different kits, which are:

MVR & Dr.1
Udet & D.VII
Goreth & D.VIII
Rickenbacker & SPAD

Where there any others?

Cheers

Dave
Dave Johnson
Wellington, New Zealand

Former Wingnut Wings Dungeon Master, Sales & Logistics Manager

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
Re: Dragon 1/48 Knights of the Sky Series with Busts
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2020, 09:33:54 AM »
As far as I can remember it is only the four Dave .

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline ermeio

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2020, 10:15:30 PM »
I can confirm, they were four.
There was no other Dragon WWI Aircraft around, anyway.
The Dragon 1/48 models were pretty high quality for their time, anyway they were marred, at least when they were released for the first time, by the presence only of the photo etched struts, which were far from realistic and pretty easy to fall apart. In addition, Fokker Dr.1 wings had a forward stagger and at times also a wawy  leading edge, impossible to correct.
The later re-issued models were much better, providing plastic struts and a better printing.
Some of them were reissued by revell in this century.

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2020, 06:32:48 AM »
Hi Dave - indeed there were only 4 kits with busts. There were 9 boxings in total, released by Dragon / DML, Hasegawa (Fokker D.VII only) and Cyber Hobby.

Here's my little collection :)

They are not bad kits - they do have some problems, but when these came out in the 1990s, they were head and shoulders above anything else out there.

Cheers,

BC

Offline Dave J

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2020, 07:28:59 AM »
Thank you for confirming, I am more interested in the Busts as I just learnt (still learning) how to paint figures. I already have two of them, and a friend of mine may have Rickenbacker, so I just need to track down Udet.

I was looking at the Model Cellar website and there are few more in the same style which Mike Good as done. I wonder if these were  possible subjects that never got released in Dragon kits?

https://modelcellar.com/product-category/busts/

« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 07:34:30 AM by Dave J »
Dave Johnson
Wellington, New Zealand

Offline ModelCellar

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2020, 11:40:36 AM »
Hi Dave,

As others have confirmed, there were only the 4 DML/Dragon kits with busts.  To add the other busts (Rickenbacker and Udet) to your collection you might check out EBAY.  You can often fid the kit with the bust for about 25-30 dollars.  Since you are more interested in the busts, (vs a/c builders who may be more interested in the model) you can take the bust out and probably re-sell the kits sans bust (with appropriate disclaimer of course) for about $15.   

As for our busts, those are busts of subjects that I contracted Mike to do for me (exclusively for The Model Cellar). I did those to sort of extend the "collection" of those busts.  Because, of course Mike sculpted the DML busts.  Not only are they the same 'style; as you say but they are from the same sculptor =)).  So, ours are 'follow on' pieces for the bust collector.   

https://modelcellar.com/product-category/112-scale/

regards,
Paul

Offline Dave J

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2020, 03:10:10 PM »
Thank you Paul for the answer!

Yes I was eyeing Voss and von Bulow-Bothkamp already.

Dave Johnson
Wellington, New Zealand